Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 05:21 AM

152 posts, read 292,192 times

Advertisements

Francois
I did not post the original message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 05:45 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,038,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlgirl71 View Post
Are snakes found in residential areas?

Snakes are found in all areas of NC. They are as cautious about us as we are about them. I'd venture to say more people are injured by pets every year than by snakes.

[/i]Francois has his/her own problems with capitalization and spelling.[/i]

Old 02-08-2012, 05:52 AM

We will be relocating this summer to Union County. I plan on buying a home in a subdivision...I guess I will look for something without a wooded lot or water. Any suggestions? My husband is deathly afraid of snakes so I will need to handle any snake issues...not really fond of them either.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:53 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
Mecklenburg County is ideal location for venemous copperheads. And yes, copperheads are found EVERYWHERE. Black snakes, non-venemous, but mean, are also very very common.

To cut down on snakes, DO NOT put up bird feeders or put up bird houses
If you have a woodpile, keep it pristine
Keep grass cut and debris out of yard
If you garden, ALWAYS look, very carefully, before you stick your hand in a plant or vegetable
Wear shoes, and use a light when walking at night

Yeah, snakes are plentiful if not common, but a lot of people have learned to deal with them. You will too.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:23 AM

LLN...you're killing me!
So I'm fleeing NY taxes but taking on NC snakes. Don't know which is scarier.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:39 AM

821 posts, read 1,854,303 times
Default Snakes in Residential Areas

Quote:
Yes, indeedy. We live off of Sardis Road, which has plenty of woods, McAlphine Greenway, and creeks. Last snake I saw was in September- It had colors and a design I had not seen before. I am sure it was not poisonous. but I never got close enough to find out - as I watched it crawl up into the engine of my truck.

My wife's office, behind Cookout on Sardis Road North, would get visits by black snakes and tree snakes during the year when they would sun themselves on the sidewalk. I, who does NOT like snakes, would get the call to get rid of the snake. Used long sticks to pick up the snakes and move to the woods, since I could not fire a shotgun in the city :-) - Just kidding.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:47 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Yes, especially small black snakes in the woods.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:47 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,038,907 times
I once read an article about houses in NC. It said if you don't find a snake skin in your attic it isn't insulated properly. Snakes love to climb outside walls slip through openings in the eves and get into the attic insulation because it makes shedding their dead skin easier.

Remember they avoid you faster than you avoid them!

Old 02-08-2012, 06:59 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,161,173 times
Our dog had an interaction last summer with a black snake (not poisonous) who was standing up and rattling the tail. He was defending himself since it was caught between the stairs and house wall. I pulled dog off and he escaped under our deck. Needless to say my wife said she'll never work in the garden again (she did, couple of weeks later).

Best way to get rid of them (from around the house) is to eliminate their food (mice, etc). There is "snake away" you can buy at Lowes/HD, not sure if it really works.
I understand that snakes are less prone to set home in yards where there are dogs/cats. People get hurt when they try to catch/kill the snakes, leave them alone since they normally try to get away from people anyway.

Follow common sense instructions as LLN said and you'll be fine.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:20 AM

Not too worried about black or garden snakes. More concerned with rattlers and cottonmouth snakes. I have small children who love to play in the yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte