Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:18 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlgirl71 View Post
No no...no links with pics! Lol
I'm already looking into the possibility of a pet mongoose.
OK, here's the frogs & toads, but it won't answer your snake questions. Frogs and Toads of North Carolina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 12:00 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times
Thanks to everyone for the education :thumbup:!

Question: If you're walking, and come into fairly close contact (5-10') with one of these snakes, what do you do? How do you handle the situation - meaning, if the snake is aggressive?

Old 02-08-2012, 01:39 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,127,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
To cut down on snakes, DO NOT put up bird feeders or put up bird houses
I found that out the hard way. This was my bird feeder on the 3rd floor apt I had several years ago in south Charlotte. This black snake climbed straight up the wall, 3 floors up!!
Attached Thumbnails
what are would have more acreage. Are snakes a big issue especially if you go hiking?-snakeonfeeder.jpg  

Old 02-08-2012, 04:37 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,501,275 times
snakes are cute....

and scary!

Old 02-08-2012, 05:12 PM

152 posts, read 292,192 times
Now that's just mean.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:15 PM

59 posts, read 173,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlgirl71 View Post
I have small children who love to play in the yard.
They should be fine

Oh baby! - YouTube

Old 02-08-2012, 08:40 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,428,466 times
we have an acre lot -alomost half is woodland so lots of nice places for snakes close to water.
First year we saw several (3-4)small brown snakes usually in the spring when we were re-raking leaf piles.
We now have a cat and if she sees a snake she'll investigate ie try and dab it with her foot.I think the only one we saw last year may have been a copperhead so she was removed promptly from the area,much to her disgust.

I will say that out neighbors across the street have seen copperheads on the rip rap, but we never have and we always make sure we swim away from the shore-apparently snakes can drop from the trees into the lake.

Never seen a black snake. We are avid gardeners and I always makes sure I look where I'm walking or touching and make a lot of noise when walking in the woodland etc.

I find the ants, ticks and mosquitos and the squirrels and racoons more of an annoyance than snakes.
Cat will catch the squirrels if she can (4 so far) and they no longer come onto the deck-just sit in the tees and squawk at her

My husband has had poison ivy rash a few times- we think from picking up the cat as it was on the inside of his forearms and chest and he hadn't been gardening.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:51 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Thanks to everyone for the education :thumbup:!

Question: If you're walking, and come into fairly close contact (5-10') with one of these snakes, what do you do? How do you handle the situation - meaning, if the snake is aggressive?
Most snakes are aggressive only when threatened. So...don't threaten it. Walk away. Snakes aren't going to chase you.

As I said earlier, snakes want nothing to do with you. I had 3 snakes over ten years, and can tell you firsthand that they have no interest in people. Even the escaped one that ended up in my roommates toilet, which of course his girlfriend found at 3 in the morning. Up to that point I wasn't aware that a woman could scream continuously for 15 minutes, without needing to inhale.

Oh yeah, that was a fun night.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:04 AM

291 posts, read 869,908 times
Oh, fun....snakies with morning coffee!
We moved back to Charlotte from "down east"....we had LOTS of snakes in our garden there....although I never saw a copperhead or water moccasin. We had a HUGE black snake in our back...we would find its skin out back by our creek..I save them for the grandkids...I'm 5'5" and the shed skin was as tall as me! I only saw it one time and it was coiled up...I wondered, "who on earth left the garden hose THERE??" Then I realized and backed off slowly. I think it protected us from other bad snakes though. I was happy to have it there.
When we lived in Charlotte previously, we found two copperheads on our property and killed them. (Is it illegal now to kill them? It wasn't then.) So I use more caution here in the garden. I think they are rather reclusive and will run from you unless cornered or surprised.

Shirlgirl, I suggest you really learn about snakes and their habits and don't be afraid...knowledge will help you and your hubby with your fears. That being said, hope you never encounter any copperheads! Especially the baby ones with their bright yellow tails. I hear they can put the most venom into you!

Old 02-09-2012, 08:37 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,038,907 times
Interesting article:

Copperhead Snakes

I don't think it's illegal to kill a Copperhead, I believe it's illegal to capture them or keep them, but you may kill them if you feel endangered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte