Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 07:23 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times

Advertisements

Not only do you have to worry about snakes, but the other wildlife here is very menacing. Let me know if you need to buy some deer whistles.

In NC, the snakes let themselves in. Although most aren't venemous, almost any bite can get infected in this climate.

Our state motto is "forever vigilant, because the damn snakes are everywhere"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 07:36 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
We have a resident black racer that is known to kill other snakes. However I don't like any snake and encountered it while I was riding the lawn mower and ran into a tree. You should have heard me scream. Black racers are very aggressive and will come toward you. Most other snakes will run the other way.

When my husband is riding the mower and sees a snake that is not a black snake or a king snake, he says he just runs over them with the mower and makes sausage out of them. Both those snakes kill other snakes and rodents. Yes there are field mice in Union County.

I hate snakes and have lived here since 1975 so you should be all right too.

You should be fine as long as you do not put your feet or your hands where you can't see clearly. Feet and hands must seem like small animals to snakes. Most snakes run from people.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:51 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
Yes, indeedy. We live off of Sardis Road, which has plenty of woods, McAlphine Greenway, and creeks. Last snake I saw was in September- It had colors and a design I had not seen before. I am sure it was not poisonous. but I never got close enough to find out - as I watched it crawl up into the engine of my truck.

My wife's office, behind Cookout on Sardis Road North, would get visits by black snakes and tree snakes during the year when they would sun themselves on the sidewalk. I, who does NOT like snakes, would get the call to get rid of the snake. Used long sticks to pick up the snakes and move to the woods, since I could not fire a shotgun in the city :-) - Just kidding.
I live in the residential area of SRN and haven't seen a snake in 11 years. For that matter, I can count on one hand the number of snakes I've seen in 30+ years of living in Charlotte, often near wooded areas. But I know the snakes are out there, no question about that.

BTW-a leaf rake works well for handling snakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Most snakes run from people.
Run? I want to see that.

Snakes want to avoid us as much as possible. None of them will come after a person unless they feel threatened, and you have to be pretty close to a snake for it to make it's presence known intentionally. I'd much rather have snakes than rodents.

Can't we all just get along?

Old 02-08-2012, 08:05 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlgirl71 View Post
Not too worried about black or garden snakes. More concerned with rattlers and cottonmouth snakes. I have small children who love to play in the yard.
No cottonmouths in Mecklenburg. Extraordinarily few rattlers. You won't see one.

THere are, however, lots of copperheads, lots being relative. We lived up near Huntersville for six years. Never saw a copperhead in our yard, but saw, oh 8 - 10 on roads leading in or out of hood.

Of course, one time we saw two KING SNAKES "gettin it on" under our neighbor's shrubs, and would see a small king snake from time to time. King snakes are your best friend.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:05 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Default Exactly -

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I live in the residential area of SRN and haven't seen a snake in 11 years. For that matter, I can count on one hand the number of snakes I've seen in 30+ years of living in Charlotte, often near wooded areas. But I know the snakes are out there, no question about that.

BTW-a leaf rake works well for handling snakes.
Run? I want to see that.

Snakes want to avoid us as much as possible. None of them will come after a person unless they feel threatened, and you have to be pretty close to a snake for it to make it's presence known intentionally. I'd much rather have snakes than rodents.

Can't we all just get along?

Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Sweet a snake thread, we have not had one of these in awhile.

I also in 30 something years living around here rarely ever seen a snake.
As others mention if you keep your lawn maintained, bushes trim you probably will not encounter them in your home.

Snakes can be found common in woods by creeks or rivers so take extra care there, Or in a garden.

Snakes as mention are more scared of you.
I did see a big snake last year in mountains as we was about to kayak down a river. I was about to go pee by this tree, and saw this big snake so I holler loud and we both ran our separate ways.

You will encounter more ticks than snakes.

As far as hiking stay on clear paths and keep eye out around non clear paths, rocky trails, but mainly keep eye out for poison oak/ivy, ticks and bee nests in middle of trail.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:47 AM

335 posts, read 699,585 times
Not only do we have snakes, but the snakes have also been known to illegally smoke in restaurants!

Old 02-08-2012, 09:51 AM

335 posts, read 699,585 times
On a serious note, the biggest danger to your kids playing in the yard will not be snakes, it will be fire ants. Make sure you poison the ants as soon as they show up!

Old 02-08-2012, 10:14 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
We can't have a snake thread without the state snake site. Snakes of North Carolina

Old 02-08-2012, 10:22 AM

152 posts, read 292,230 times
No no...no links with pics! Lol
I'm already looking into the possibility of a pet mongoose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte