Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 01:44 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times

Advertisements

Brian

I think you are being to kind with the word slick , cunning and sly i would say.but i do not believe they are intentionally doing it or aware they are, that's how deceptive the spirit of fear and condemnation is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 01:52 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,371,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Brian

I think you are being to kind with the word slick , cunning and sly i would say.but i do not believe they are intentionally doing it or aware they are, that's how deceptive the spirit of fear and condemnation is.
I suppose you're right.. There was a time that I condemned my neighbor, because I believed that God was also condemning him. -And yet I knew in my heart that Jesus was requiring me to "condemn not!"
So deception is very real, and very easy to miss. It can be in our hearts, and we are not able to recognise it, or perhaps we recognise it, but we try to deny it, or cover it.
Saul was perhaps in the same situation, until Jesus spoke directly to him. In that moment, he was confronted with his life and need for Love in his heart.

Blessings,
Brian

Old 10-28-2010, 02:05 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,214,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi LoveLadyBugs,
Yes, I did say that fundamentalists are often very slick. Or, the teachings are slick.

They will tell you that God must be your master, but if you do not do as they tell you, you cannot be a part of their group. SLICK.
Or, they will tell you that all you must do to be saved is believe in Jesus. But if you tell them that you already believe in Jesus, then they will tell you that you must be baptized, attend church, study the Bible, give tithes.... SLICK.
Or, they will tell you that God's will is soverign. But then they will tell you that God cannot save man without his permission. SLICK.
They will preach that Jesus said, "love thy enemies" and "forgive one another." But then they say that capital punishment is necessary for certain criminals. SLICK.
Or, they will tell you that God created all things. But everything that is evil is not of God. SLICK.
Or, they will tell you that man is self-willed, which is bad. But then they will tell you that man must be free to use his will to choose God. SLICK.
Or, they will tell you that God loves you more than you can comprehend. But if you fail to obey Him, He will torment you for eternity. SLICK.

Shall I continue?

Peace,
brian
Kudos to you Brian.....now that was SLICK AND THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH!!!

Old 10-28-2010, 03:29 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,113,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Amen! This is a great post that should be framed! The hypocrisy of UR is so evident to those with spiritual eyes -- and any other doctrine that does not believe in living free from sin.
There are sins of omission as well as sins of commission. How many widows and orphans have you visited lately?

Religion generally notices sins that can be seen with the eyes. Have you wished you had a nicer car or house like so-and-so down the street? Have you had a selfish thought? Have you spread "news" about someone else without even knowing for sure it was true?

Habits like smoking and drinking usually fall into the category of sin, but what about overeating? It's so funny for the pastor to make a pig-out joke before a potluck at church. Right? What about caffeine? Do you consume that? Mormons believe that's a sin. If you don't, what if they are right? Will you go to hell for drinking tea?

Please! How can anyone believe people could live free from sin while on this earth? We aren't even sure exactly what all the sins are.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:44 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,573,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi LoveLadyBugs,
Yes, I did say that fundamentalists are often very slick. Or, the teachings are slick.

They will tell you that God must be your master, but if you do not do as they tell you, you cannot be a part of their group. SLICK.
Or, they will tell you that all you must do to be saved is believe in Jesus. But if you tell them that you already believe in Jesus, then they will tell you that you must be baptized, attend church, study the Bible, give tithes.... SLICK.
Or, they will tell you that God's will is soverign. But then they will tell you that God cannot save man without his permission. SLICK.
They will preach that Jesus said, "love thy enemies" and "forgive one another." But then they say that capital punishment is necessary for certain criminals. SLICK.
Or, they will tell you that God created all things. But everything that is evil is not of God. SLICK.
Or, they will tell you that man is self-willed, which is bad. But then they will tell you that man must be free to use his will to choose God. SLICK.
Or, they will tell you that God loves you more than you can comprehend. But if you fail to obey Him, He will torment you for eternity. SLICK.

Shall I continue?

Peace,
brian
I believe you've said enough for the discerning.........

Old 10-29-2010, 09:43 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,314,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I am not judging anyone; I question those who say we MUST be perfect in our works in order to be saved. Maybe I am wrong but it seems to me you are saying that. Considering that a couple people who do claim to be sin free are agreeing with you, it is an easy mistake to make.
I am not sure what angry threat you are making but if you are insinuating that I will be burning in hell, it is quit odd and sad that it is followed by a happy thumbs up.
How loving.
None of us can claim to be perfect, but the angel told the virgin Mary that the Saviour would save his people from their sin (not IN them) - Matt ch 1.
Also in Rev. 21[27] And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.
Also, St Paul says in Rom 8:
[8] So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
[9] But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
[10] And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
[11] But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
[12] Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
[13] For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Best wishes in the search for God's truth,
Bob

Old 10-29-2010, 10:27 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,947,319 times
Just before Jesus gave His commandments of the Sermon on the Mount, He said this:

For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven. - Matthew 5:20

That's the Word of God, not the word of men. Do you keep Jesus' commandments, including those of the Sermon on the Mount? The way you conduct yourself will determine whether or not your righteousness will be enough for you to enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:08 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,217,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
None of us can claim to be perfect,
Actualy a handfull of people here do claim that they NEVER sin, see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Just before Jesus gave His commandments of the Sermon on the Mount, He said this:

For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven. - Matthew 5:20

That's the Word of God, not the word of men. Do you keep Jesus' commandments, including those of the Sermon on the Mount? The way you conduct yourself will determine whether or not your righteousness will be enough for you to enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Exactly! That is why Jesus died for us because only his work on the cross can make us righteous in Gods eyes! If we try it on our own, we are doomed.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:32 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,365,920 times
Quote:
ahigherway:
Hi LoveLadyBugs,

Shall I continue?

Peace,
brian
Good stuff. You tell it like it is.

One thing I wondered about for decades being an ET Christian was this...

God saying: "Trust me to save you but if you don't trust me enough...."

Imagine living in that quagmire for 30 years like I did.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:43 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,371,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
Good stuff. You tell it like it is.

One thing I wondered about for decades being an ET Christian was this...

God saying: "Trust me to save you but if you don't trust me enough...."

Imagine living in that quagmire for 30 years like I did.
Yes; it's not the people, it's the doctrines of contradiction which leaves people with their heads spinning. Many who preach do not even believe what they are preaching!! How's that supposed to work?!?

The early church didn't preach hell. It didn't distribute tracts. It didn't have a sinner's prayer, alter call, tent meetings or Nicene Creed.
And it was persecuted, although it never persecuted anyone.. This is the Lamb, the Anointing.. bringing love and reconciliation to the masses.

Blessings!
Brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity