Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 11:10 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times

Advertisements

^^thats funny Katzpur that you have to point out specifics. As much as we'd like to sometimes, "disowning" of family members is neither a trait nor exclusive to members of the Church. This is a non issue.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:14 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
What is a simple explanation of what was "restored", I here that term a ton but even the handouts don't give a good explanation. What went wrong that needed restoring?

Old 10-13-2010, 11:30 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Do all Mormons believe alike?

We agree on those things which are official doctrine, and we would explain our doctrines in much the same way. Some (like me) tend to go into more detail, while others would respond with just a few short comments. The reason we are in agreement is that our Church is led by a Prophet who we believe really does receive revelation from God. With God communicating initially to just one individual, and that individual relaying His message to the rest of Church, as was the case anciently, we don't need to worry about the scriptures being understood and interpreted differently by pastors in thousands of different congregations.

Each Sunday, after our main worship service, "Sacrament Meeting," we attend classes for two hours to study the scriptures and the principles of Jesus Christ's gospel. The course of study is the same throughout the world, as are the lesson manuals, visual and audio aids. I could talk to someone online on Monday morning about the lessons we had during that two-hour block of time the day before. It wouldn't matter if I was posting from Salt Lake City and the other person was posting from South Africa or New Zealand or Mongolia. We would have all heard the very same material presented the day before. Furthermore, all of the material would have been reviewed and approved beforehand by Church Headquarters -- to make sure it accurately explained our beliefs. (Sacrament Meeting is different. It's where typically a couple of sermonettes -- we call them "talks" -- are given. They are not on the same topic churchwide.)

By the way, if anyone wants to see for themselves how closely Mormons agree on the teachings of their church, you can see what they have to say on this site: www.mormon.org
This sounds a lot like the Jehovah's Witnesses. Their Watchtower lessons are in sync world-wide on a week-to-week basis.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:46 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Who is allowed to go into a Mormon temple?
Do you pay a full tithing? (This would be 10% of our income.)
I don't understand why a financial commitment is required to be allowed in the temple. What if your income just allows you to scrape by cause you have 12 children to feed? Do they still hold it against you if you can't pay full tithing?

Old 10-14-2010, 05:53 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,313,940 times
Katzpur,
I came across this thread yesterday, and found it so informative that I finished reading the remainder of the 15 pages this morning. Since I will turn 80 in 3 more months, I am semi-retired and had time to do all that reading. I admit that I have more respect for Mormons than I do for Protestants who claim that if you once profess to believe in Jesus as the Son of God, you are eternally secure even if you live a life of overt disobedience to the teachings of Christ. I also do not agree with those who say that God consigns vast multitudes of people to Hell without any consideration of God;s foreknowledge. I believe He knows every one on the face of the earth who is "hungering and thirsting after righteousness" (Matt. 5:6) and that He makes it possible for them to "be filled" as promised by Jesus. You are aware that I completely disagree with Mormon doctrines which say that disbelievers in Christ will have multiple times to change their minds after death, and that eventually almost all humans will go to heaven. Heb. 9:27 says, "It is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment." Jesus said, "Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able" (Matt. 13:24.)
I do believe that the family of Adam comprises only a small proportion of God's creatures. We know that 2 Peter 2:4 tells of angels who sinned and are reserved in hell to await the Judgment, but Heb. 12:22 refers to "an innumerable company of angels" who will be in the heavenly Jerusalem.
One question: What do Mormons teach will happen to those who die outside the church when Christ comes back to the earth, and the dead in Christ shall rise, and the living believers are instantly changed from corruptible to incorruptible and caught up to meet the Lord in the air at the beginning of the Millenium?
By the way, I agree with those who say you are a nice person. I truly believe you have been as civil as possible in presenting the Mormon teachings'
Best wishes in our quest for truth,
Bob

Last edited by Robert M Prince; 10-14-2010 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: ommision

Old 10-14-2010, 07:36 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
What's the story w/ the undies? How does that work if you want to go swimming?

Old 10-14-2010, 07:59 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
What's the story w/ the undies? How does that work if you want to go swimming?
We remove our underwear when we go swimming just like you do. More later... I've got to go to work.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:38 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,948,010 times
Quote:
a homosexual man who lives with his boyfriend are equally in danger of being excommunicated.
What about in a state where gay marriage is legal?

Old 10-14-2010, 12:46 PM

Why do Mormons wear "funny underwear"?

Once a member of the Church has been through the temple to receive his endowment (this involves both instruction and the making of sacred covenants with God), he is to wear special underwear at all times. This underwear is called "the temple garment." Its purpose is to serve as a constant reminder of the covenants we made in the temple. It's almost always white and there are several approved styles, all of which require that they be worn with modest clothing. (I say "almost always white" because there is a khaki version for servicemen.) The temple garment for a Mormon is sacred, just like certain kinds of clothing are sacred to Muslims, Jews and American Indians.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
What is a simple explanation of what was "restored", I here that term a ton but even the handouts don't give a good explanation. What went wrong that needed restoring?
It's funny you should mention that. I attended a conference a few weeks back (Church-related, but not Church-sponsored) and one of the speakers mentioned that non-Mormons are very confused by the term, "restored." He suggested that we use the word "re-established" instead. We believe Christ established a Church as part of His ministry, that it was changed by men (i.e. fell into apostasy), and that He has re-established it today.

In very general terms, there are four things that needed to be re-established:

1. Priesthood authority (which is the authority Christ gave to His Apostles by laying His hands on their heads and ordaining them to serve in a particular capacity).

2. The organization of the original Church, which was led by living prophets and apostles and not just based upon the writings of prophets who had lived hundreds of years earlier.

3. Ordinances. Some Christians would refer to these as "sacraments."

4. Various doctrines.

See posts #89 and #90 on pages 9 of this thread for a much more in-depth response on the Great Apostasy and the Restoration (or re-establishment) of the Church.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-14-2010 at 01:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity