Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 10:22 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,962,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
LOL! Honestly, is that a serious question? Our prophet is not a clairvoyant. Were you pick up a copy of the National Enquirer at the end of the year, you would find that it is jam packed with predictions by psychics and mystics from around the world. Notably missing would be predictions from the LDS prophet. His purpose is to be sure that the doctrines of Christ's Church are interpreted correctly and that false teachings do not creep in over time. It is also his reponsibility to keep us informed about what God wants us to know with respect to how we can be more productive, healthier, happier, and better prepared for the future. With respect to your specific question, that's just not the kind of information we would expect to hear from our leaders. I would go so far as to say, though, that if the President of our Church were to reveal to us that we were going to be invaded by little green men next Saturday at noon, I'd probably believe him. LDS prophets are not ones to cry "Wolf!" if you know what I mean.
I couldn't be any more serious. I'm an eyewitness to this great deception that will soon be revealed, if God allows it. That's as far as I'll go with that. But you, or anyone else, shouldn't be so surprised. Shortly after it was revealed to me, the Catholic Church began to publically proclaim it's belief in this, and welcomed their arrival.

So, take it lightly if you want, but your church is soon to proclaim the same thing, if God allows it. In fact the majority of denominations are going to go right along with it and be given over to the deception.

The plan is not to make it look like a hostile invasion. The plan of course would be to make it seem like God.

And thanks for your honest response. You have already been given over, as you say, "if your prophets say it's not a hoax".

Old 12-14-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry you saw it that way. I thought I gave you a very comprehensive answer -- based on what has been revealed, and not resorting to speculation.

I don't know. You have the same inherent spark of divinity I have. If I can be a goddess on another planet, there is no reason why you couldn't be a god on another planet. The problem with your question -- with your wording, in particular -- in that there is nothing in the LDS canon that says we will be "a god on another planet." We are taught that we can become as our Father in Heaven is, but we are given no further specifics. I know you'd like to be able to pin me down on this, but I'm afraid you're going to have to just be disappointed. The whole matter of being "a god on another planet" is a kind of spin on the doctrine of Eternal Progression, as interpreted by non-Mormons. I have told you essentially all I can without simply making things up.

We have no official doctrine stating anything about God's beginnings. Two of our former prophets, Joseph Smith and Lorenzo Snow taught something to this effect that God was once a man, but their words were never canonized. As a Catholic, you know what it means when the Pope speaks ex cathedra. Well, to put it in a way that should make sense to you, neither of these men ever spoke "ex cathedra," so to speak. In other words, they were simply stating what they personally believed to be true, Joseph Smith in a funeral sermon and Lorenzo Snow in a poem he wrote (for his daughter or granddaughter, as I recall).

About all I can say about the possibility of this teaching being true is that, if it were true, it would have been during a period of time prior to what the Bible describes as "the beginning." In other words, it would have been before the clock started ticking, because we know that by "the beginning" (i.e. the beginning of the creation of our universe) God was God. He was who He is now and will be forever. Also, if we have been given the potential to become like Him at some distant time in the eternities to come, I suppose it is conceivable that the reverse may have also been true.

This is a difficult question because, as I said, everything that has ever been said on the subject is a matter of speculation and opinion. We have never had an official statement concerning God becoming God, and you could attend LDS Church worship services for 62 years, as I have done, without ever hearing a single sermon on the subject. It simply isn't something we are as concerned about as other people seem to be. If and when God tells us more, though, I'll make sure you're among the first to know.
Wow, Katzpur, I asked you this same question earlier and you flatly denied that's not what LDS believe. I asked you this because a few of your elders explained it to be true. Here you come out of the closet a little more and assume it's possibility - that the God who created this planet was once a man. Wow, at first you told me you never even heard of such a thing, and now your opening up to the possibility? Thank you Katzpur for making the truth very clear. There are obviously things taught in the Mormon church that are not widely taught to everyone wide out in the open.

Joseph Smith taught something like this but his words were never cannonized? lol. Sure, I wouldn't want everyone to know that either, those teachings of your major prophet. But of course he "is" your major cannonized prophet, open to the public or not.

It's like saying, "it's true (because of course he's our prophet), but don't tell everyone!"

Old 12-14-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Two Questions.

1) Are you aware that you are disagreeing with Brigham Young who said in Journal of Discourses 1:50 "Now hear it, O inhabitants of the earth, Jew and Gentile, Saint and sinner! When our father Adam came into the garden of Eden, he came into it with a celestial body, and brought Eve, one of his wives, with him. He helped to make and organize this world. He is MICHAEL, the Archangel, the ANCIENT OF DAYS! about whom holy men have written and spoken -- He is our FATHER and our GOD, and the only God with whom WE have to do. Every man upon the earth, professing Christians or non-professing, must hear it, and will know it sooner or later.... When the Virgin Mary conceived the child Jesus, the Father had begotten him in his own likeness. He was not begotten by the Holy Ghost." [Bolding mine]?

According to Brigham Young, Adam

1) was Michael the archangel and our God.

2) brought Eve (one of his wives) with him, as opposed to the Bible's revelation that Eve was built from one of Adam's ribs.

3) Jesus was begotten by the Father in contradiction to the Bible's revelation that Jesus was begotten by the Holy Spirit. In fact, Brigham Young flat out said that Jesus was not begotten by the Holy Spirit.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Journal_of_Discourses/Volume_1/Self-Government%E2%80%94Mysteries,_etc (broken link).

Now maybe you will say that those beliefs were never cannonized. But the man who succeeded Joseph Smith believed and taught these things.

2) Are you aware that Joseph Smith was a con-man who a few years before he founded the Mormon chuch was tried and convicted regarding a gold-digging scheme?

Joseph Smith's Gold Digging Trial: A Nagging Legacy for Mormons, Mormon Historians and Apologists (http://www.suite101.com/content/joseph-smiths-gold-digging-trial-a30866 - broken link)

Joseph Smith Was A *******|*TPN :: No Illusions with Cameron Reilly (http://gdayworld.thepodcastnetwork.com/2009/11/08/joseph-smith-******/ - broken link)

Excerpt:
As a quick refresher, Mormons claim that Joseph Smith had the "First Vision" in 1820, and then in 1823 through 1827 he was visited yearly by the angel Moroni, translated the Book of Mormon in 1828 and again in 1829, and then published it in 1830. One MAJOR problem with Mormonism is Joseph Smith's "money-digging" background smack-dab in the middle of this period. In fact, in the first chapter of his "History" in the PofGP he explains (falsely) how the rumor of him as a money-digger got started around 1825-26. What's "money-digging", you ask.
Joseph Smith And Money-digging; Oliver Cowdery And Divining Rods

Right in the middle of the period when Joseph Smith was supposedly visited by an angel and supposedly translating the Book of Mormon, he was tried and convicted of, found guilty of being a con-man.

So again. Are you aware of this?
Good stuff Mike. I really really needed to see this thread to clear a few things up in my mind. I already figured, or had the insight, but this is going to help out alot.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
How do you reconcile the recent change on regarding the salvation of African-Americans?

We have never believed that African-Americans cannot be saved. Black men and women have always been welcome in the Church and we have never had segregated congregations. Men of African heritage were not permitted to hold the LDS priesthood for a number of years. I personally feel this was very unfortunate. I am old enough to remember very well the day 32 years ago when this changed. In all honesty, it was one of the more memorable days of my life.
How could there possibly be a change like that in God's true church, led by God's true prophets. This is not like the Polygamy excuse, this is much different than that. How can this possibly be Katzpur? You've always had your prophets right? Or was this during a time when there was no prophet?

Old 12-14-2011, 11:49 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,498,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
Wow, Katzpur, I asked you this same question earlier and you flatly denied that's not what LDS believe. I asked you this because a few of your elders explained it to be true. Here you come out of the closet a little more and assume it's possibility - that the God who created this planet was once a man. Wow, at first you told me you never even heard of such a thing, and now your opening up to the possibility? Thank you Katzpur for making the truth very clear. There are obviously things taught in the Mormon church that are not widely taught to everyone wide out in the open.
Are you absolutly sure that despite the Truth about Mormonism Revealed at Last! .... that you claim that " you flatly denied that's not what LDS believe" then when pressed "and now your opening up to the possibility?"

It's the first princible of Mormonism according to Joseph Smith.
From Gospel Princibles page 302
This is the way our Heavenly Father became God. Joseph Smith taught: "It is the first principle of the Gospel to know for a certainty the character of God. … He was once a man like us; … God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 345-46)

from Gospel Princibles page 9
What Kind of Being is God? Because we are made in his image (see Moses 6:9), we know that God has a body that looks like ours. His eternal spirit is housed in a tangible body of flesh and bones (see D&C 130:22).
Could you show us were you think she "flatly denied that's not what LDS believe" ?

Old 12-14-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Are you absolutly sure that despite the Truth about Mormonism Revealed at Last! .... that you claim that " you flatly denied that's not what LDS believe" then when pressed "and now your opening up to the possibility?"

It's the first princible of Mormonism according to Joseph Smith.
From Gospel Princibles page 302
This is the way our Heavenly Father became God. Joseph Smith taught: "It is the first principle of the Gospel to know for a certainty the character of God. … He was once a man like us; … God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 345-46)

from Gospel Princibles page 9
What Kind of Being is God? Because we are made in his image (see Moses 6:9), we know that God has a body that looks like ours. His eternal spirit is housed in a tangible body of flesh and bones (see D&C 130:22).
Could you show us were you think she "flatly denied that's not what LDS believe" ?
Of course. Before logging in again I planned on pulling this up, since it's a crucial factor in Katzpur's reputation as far as I'm concerned. If this is true as I say, then she either intentionally decieved me, or she just found out about these teachings. When I find this I'm sure my question will be worded a little differently, but it's the same thing. I believe the question was, "Was God ever a man like us, and then advanced to being who He is now" Of course her answer was "no, I've never heard of such a thing. Mormons don't believe that." But it's the exact same thing as what were talking about here. And thanks so much for posting your Joseph Smith quote. That will help alot. Key text being, "this is how our Heavenly Father became God". Yikes. Anyway, this question of doctrine is obviously nothing surprising to any devout experienced Mormon, and she should have mentioned this right off the bat. But, she didn't, regardless. If she didn't, why? It's possible she thought I was close to conversion because I have always spoken well of the Mormons integrity as well as verbalized my interest. I'll find it.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:06 PM

I only have a few minutes left on this computer for the day but I'm looking. I've posted on more than two threads about the Mormon faith, but for some reason I can only find posts by me on this one and one other. I'll keep looking. I'm 100% sure of this and remember very clear the instance. What does Katzpur have to say about it, I wonder. I'm sure she'd remember. No Katzpur it's not the false messiah thread where I mentioned the Mormon faith.

But don't forget about the other question I just posted.

Also, If I don't find it, and you deny it, then fine. So be it. Call me wrong if you want. I'm more concerned about learning the facts already presented. I'll continue looking though.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:18 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,895,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
I only have a few minutes left on this computer for the day but I'm looking. I've posted on more than two threads about the Mormon faith, but for some reason I can only find posts by me on this one and one other. I'll keep looking. I'm 100% sure of this and remember very clear the instance. What does Katzpur have to say about it, I wonder. I'm sure she'd remember. No Katzpur it's not the false messiah thread where I mentioned the Mormon faith.

But don't forget about the other question I just posted.

Also, If I don't find it, and you deny it, then fine. So be it. Call me wrong if you want. I'm more concerned about learning the facts already presented. I'll continue looking though.
I obviously don't know exactly what you are looking for or if you are remembering correctly, but in an effort to be helpful I found two threads that seem relevant that you could peruse.

This post seems to address it most directly: //www.city-data.com/forum/21009649-post51.html

But, you could also read these threads in full:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...god-other.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...mormonism.html

Last edited by Hueffenhardt; 12-14-2011 at 01:38 PM..

Old 12-14-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I obviously don't know exactly what you are looking for or if you are remembering correctly, but in an effort to be helpful I found two threads that seem relevant that you could peruse.

This post seems to address it most directly: //www.city-data.com/forum/21009649-post51.html

But, you could also read these threads in full:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...god-other.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...mormonism.html
Thanks for those threads. I will try and find the discussion me and Katzpur had and should be able to find it in my post history, by looking through every single post...lol. Anyway, I just paid a dollar at the library to get an extra hour to keep looking. I will go slower this time and look through every single post. If I can't find it... I oppologize, and need to repent. But even then I will still be sure that the conversation happened, and it was Katzpur... on this forum... not by private message.

Anyway, this thread is answering many questions that I've had about Mormons and very revealing. How could you be a Mormon after reading this thread, I'll never understand.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:22 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,605,764 times
Why do mormons believe JS to be a prophet from God?

Also, if faith in Christ is the only thing necessary for salvation... then why is mormonism even considered?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity