Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will former Christians that became Atheists go to heaven?
YES 16 34.78%
NO 30 65.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 11:58 AM

37,348 posts, read 28,449,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Actually, Jesus explained what the fruit look like:
Matthew 7:15
“Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves."

Truth is that false prophets uses deception, which is why Jesus warned:
Matthew 24:4
Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you."

speaking only the half truth is a form of deception, for example Jesus said:
Matthew 7:16
By their fruit you will recognize them.
and I recognized that you proceeded to speak the last half of recognizing them by their fruit while appearing to wantonly leaving out the first half on how we can recognize those people and their outcome:
Galations 5:19-21
The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;
idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions,
factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like.

I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
despite trying as hard as you people attempt to accuse us of doing ... we are not judging when it has been declared in the Bible.
Camps shakes his head in sheer amazement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 04:34 AM

530 posts, read 913,677 times
Default Amen to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
We can't answer that question. ONLY God decides who goes to Heaven.
People who claim that they are "saved", claim that they are going to Heaven. When they do that, they put themselves above God, and are thus committing blasphemy.

Human beings should stop worrying about who goes to Heaven and who doesn't and they should start worrying about their own spiritual lives.
Amen to that (Human beings should stop worrying about who goes to Heaven and who doesn't and they should start worrying about their own salvation lives) I think that's scripture to work out your own salvation with fear and trembling - hmmm Philippians 2:12

But here is another "think for"...if they are atheist they don't care if they go to Heaven - they don't believe their is one.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:47 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,667,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
As an atheist I'd like to throw in my opinion, I grew up in a very religious Evangelical household. I was home schooled for 5 years. Christianity was central to my life until I was around 21, up to that point I occasionally had doubts, but wouldn't ever call myself a nonbeliever, I had accepted Christ as my savior at a young age. I had planned on becoming a missionary to central America. There was no single day when I thought, you know im living a lie, it was a transition over a few years. I was fearful of losing my faith and salvation in Christ. My family does not believe one can lose salvation who has truly accepted Christ, so I started wondering if I was ever a Christian. I sure thought I was all those years. I remember the first time I told someone I didn't believe in God, it actually startled me, but thats when I knew my faith was completely lost. From my experience, if heaven is for real, which I don't believe, no, I don't think atheists are saved. Of course Christians don't decide who gets saved, only God judges our souls, so who knows. To me, this is all in theory since I don't accept the idea of God or heaven.
It sounds like it was never really your faith to begin with. I'm afraid that this might be the case for many people that have grown up in Christian homes.

This is why I present the information, and make sure youngsters understand the importance of searching these things out themselves. No one can have faith for another.

It's interesting that everything about Biblical Christianity actually makes logical, reasonable sense. Everything in the Bible is authenticated History. The prophecies are validated. Creationism is the only valid view that aligns with our science to help explain origins. etc..

One thing that's for certain is that if people aren't looking for answers they will not find them.The Bible is clear that the natural man is not seeking after God. We're trying to explain Him away to justify our own selves with our behavior. Sin has a power over us in the natural and the only solution is the blood of Jesus Christ, but everyone has to find that out for themselves.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:50 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,729,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Actually, Jesus explained what the fruit look like:
Matthew 7:15
“Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves."

Truth is that false prophets uses deception, which is why Jesus warned:
Matthew 24:4
Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you."

speaking only the half truth is a form of deception, for example Jesus said:
Matthew 7:16
By their fruit you will recognize them.
and I recognized that you proceeded to speak the last half of recognizing them by their fruit while appearing to wantonly leaving out the first half on how we can recognize those people and their outcome:
Galations 5:19-21
The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;
idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions,
factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like.

I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
despite trying as hard as you people attempt to accuse us of doing ... we are not judging when it has been declared in the Bible.
Amen !
"Will former Christians that become Atheist go to heaven ? No, and many have given God's truth to know the reason the answer is such.
When one does attempt to share the gospel with the non-believer or Atheist they are accused of judging....... as the gospel will bring conviction to that heart.

Now the question now day's is what gospel gets shared?

That is what I enjoy about your post Twin and a few others because the message you share is truth, God's truth. Not changed to protect emotions or flower coated and is too why people get angry due to the Holy Spirit' conviction that falls upon the heart that hear's the message, the scripture of the gospel of Jesus Christ !

Yet we see in this forum many are most tempted to edit, to mute, perhaps even to deny? Is it because of the severity of sin, or the reality of judgment, or the necessity of repentance in the lives that hear !
We see it’s exceedingly tempting in our culture today to emphasize God’s mercy but not his justice, his love but not his wrath, his kingdom but not his cross. Yet such lopsided messages, however loving they may feel, are powerless to save. Amen !

As Thomas Watson (1620–1686) once said, “Till sin be bitter, grace will not be sweet.” amen !

Blessings and keep sharing there is someone God is reaching regardless of all the opposition that wants to counteract God's truth ! God is greater then all the lies, manipulation that is here and will reach that Atheist, whomever who is seeking consciously or unconsciously !!

Old 06-24-2014, 09:31 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,546,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Amen !
"Will former Christians that become Atheist go to heaven ? No, and many have given God's truth to know the reason the answer is such.
When one does attempt to share the gospel with the non-believer or Atheist they are accused of judging....... as the gospel will bring conviction to that heart.

That is what I enjoy about your post Twin and a few others because the message you share is truth, God's truth. Not changed to protect emotions or flower coated and is too why people get angry due to the Holy Spirit' conviction that falls upon the heart that hear's the message, the scripture of the gospel of Jesus Christ !

Yet we see in this forum many are most tempted to edit, to mute, perhaps even to deny? Is it because of the severity of sin, or the reality of judgment, or the necessity of repentance in the lives that hear !
We see it’s exceedingly tempting in our culture today to emphasize God’s mercy but not his justice, his love but not his wrath, his kingdom but not his cross. Yet such lopsided messages, however loving they may feel, are powerless to save. Amen !

As Thomas Watson (1620–1686) once said, “Till sin be bitter, grace will not be sweet.” amen !

Blessings and keep sharing there is someone God is reaching regardless of all the opposition that wants to counteract God's truth ! God is greater then all the lies, manipulation that is here and will reach that Atheist, whomever who is seeking consciously or unconsciously !!
Thanks Cyber,

Amen to what you stated
"the message you share is truth, God's truth. Not changed to protect emotions or flower coated and is too why people get angry"
Correct, "the opposition wants to counteract God's truth ! " They do it by making their IMO's the deciding factor, masquerading their opposition by claiming 'well that YOUR interpretation' \ by having it both ways by thinking their stereotyping isn't judging but oh boy can I see it in you ....

All we can do is present all (not just the flowery \ feel good) truths of what is spoken to us by God through the Bible and let Holy Spirit work it in those whom he sees fit.

That is why I need people like yourself here .. I'm not the best at being gentle, whereas folks like you and ILNC are.

As scripture remind me:
2 Timothy 2:25
Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth,

Old 06-24-2014, 10:26 AM

7,744 posts, read 12,685,680 times
Nope. There's no such thing as a "former" Christian anyway. There's people who have heard the gospel, grew up in church, may have called themselves "Christian" by means of culture, and rejected it. But they were never Christian as in accepted the blood sacrifice of Jesus, was baptized, and then turned around and rejected it. Not possible. The Bible says they were never of us.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:56 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Nope. There's no such thing as a "former" Christian anyway. There's people who have heard the gospel, grew up in church, may have called themselves "Christian" by means of culture, and rejected it. But they were never Christian as in accepted the blood sacrifice of Jesus, was baptized, and then turned around and rejected it. Not possible. The Bible says they were never of us.
Too much cognitive dissonance - huh!

Old 06-24-2014, 11:00 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,331,786 times
Quote:
Ridiculous.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:54 PM

217 posts, read 147,561 times
Quote:
There are certainly former theists who designated themselves as Christians, lived that life, and found it lacking and no longer believe, hence therefore are atheists. That's the thing about beliefs - it's easy to change your mind if you have the intellectual honesty to question and research positions different than yours.

And no, not one former theist-Christian-turned-atheist actually rejected anything. Jesus himself did not come to you, me or anyone else in person saying "here's what I offer, you may either choose it or reject it."

Old 06-25-2014, 10:27 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,729,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Amen !

A retraction of my statement in the bold !

I had no right to state such, "Will former Christians that become Atheist go to heaven ? .....
and stating the answer is "No" !
For God is the only one in whom can determine the destiny of one who has turned their heart back to the world !

I do know through the teaching in the scripture that if one turns away after tasting the goodness of God and continues in their rebellion against God's will the scripture tells us....

" For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame. Heb.6:4-6

It is a dangerous thing to turn your back on the Lord God as each passing moment the heart becomes harder and harder till one can no longer hear the voice of God ! And through the witness of the scripture God has handed such one's over to their rebellion, creating the hardness of the heart toward God !

I pray for those who have turned away from our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ that their hearts will not become so hard they will no longer recognize the voice they once heard and listen too !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity