Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2016, 11:55 PM

64,024 posts, read 40,331,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
I don't even want to know about people's sins UNLESS they need a shoulder to cry on. If the Protestant churches are anything like the Catholic Church, there is bound to be plenty of sin at the top. The truth is, POWER corrupts. I think that is why Jesus is the only one between us and God, because if you give anyone power over others, it tends to corrupt them. I am accountable to God first and foremost. I am accountable to others if I break laws or cross boundaries.
That is why Jesus specifically forbade hierarchy and placed no one in charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 03:32 AM

37,342 posts, read 28,396,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Since you quit arguing about who monitors pastor's sins and started ranting about kids reading Harry Potter books, I assumed we answered all your questions. No?
Sin monitoring of others by anyone in any form is proof you are still under the law(owned by it).

Old 12-28-2016, 02:14 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,850,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Sin monitoring of others by anyone in any form is proof you are still under the law(owned by it).
That's like going to a hospital, but refusing treatment. Christians are supposed to be overcoming sin, not continuing in it. If you saw a Christian brother committing public sin, it is your duty to speak to him about it, privately at first.

This assumes you are not living in sin yourself.

James 5

19 My brethren, if any among you strays from the truth and one turns him back, 20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.

1 Cor. 5

9 I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people; 10 I did not at all mean with the immoral people of this world, or with the covetous and swindlers, or with idolaters, for then you would have to go out of the world. 11 But actually, I wrote to you not to associate with any so-called brother if he is an immoral person, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or a swindler—not even to eat with such a one. 12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Do you not judge those who are within the church? 13 But those who are outside, God judges. Remove the wicked man from among yourselves.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:21 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,247,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It is telling that you, jimmie and jeffbase see honesty as a "snarky attitude".
If a lot of people have issue with you, maybe it's you....

9,588 posts, read 5,071,787 times
Quote:
That's like going to a hospital, but refusing treatment. Christians are supposed to be overcoming sin, not continuing in it. If you saw a Christian brother committing public sin, it is your duty to speak to him about it, privately at first.

James 5

19 My brethren, if any among you strays from the truth and one turns him back, 20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.

1 Cor. 5

9 I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people; 10 I did not at all mean with the immoral people of this world, or with the covetous and swindlers, or with idolaters, for then you would have to go out of the world. 11 But actually, I wrote to you not to associate with any so-called brother if he is an immoral person, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or a swindler—not even to eat with such a one. 12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Do you not judge those who are within the church? 13 But those who are outside, God judges. Remove the wicked man from among yourselves.

And so no wonder the scripture says LOVE covers a multitude of sins, and notice what that love is connected to. Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
When did VOTING enter the churches? Is this in the bible? If so, it's got to be from Paul.
Many Protestant churches function as a democracy, to keep the pastor from ruling over the church, which Jesus forbade.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:23 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,967,711 times
Quote:
Many Protestant churches function as a democracy, to keep the pastor from ruling over the church, which Jesus forbade.
Some churches operate on the idea that it is not about what the majority likes, but about seeking God's leading in any matter.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:25 PM

37,342 posts, read 28,396,275 times
Quote:

James 5

1 Cor. 5

Not at all. Folk who are sick do not need to be told they are sick to seek help, if you are an ignorant savage then maybe. I think anyone monitoring someone just in case they fall sick, is the one who is sick and needs to be told they are.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Some churches operate on the idea that it is not about what the majority likes, but about seeking God's leading in any matter.
True. That's why we have elders/deacons, who are supposed to be spiritually mature. Any "voting" should be done only after prayerful consideration.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Not at all. Folk who are sick do not need to be told they are sick to seek help, if you are an ignorant savage then maybe. I think anyone monitoring someone just in case they fall sick, is the one who is sick and needs to be told they are.
Your rejection of scripture is duly noted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity