Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 09:09 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,551,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I think we've covered this before. If something does not make sense in that it is self-contradictory, then it cannot be an "absolute truth". It may contain some truth, but it also contains some untruth.
So in other words for something to be truth ... God's thoughts better conform to your thoughts.
Got it.

Quote:
Regardless, my question to you remains unanswered by you:

Do you understand that people are expressing what they actually believe to be truth, even if they are disagreeing with what you understand to be truth? They value the truth they believe they have grasped, just as you do. We all obviously think the other doesn't have truth in any given area that we disagree about, but that doesn't mean the "other" is a fool or swine or a dog.

It was answered ... you may not being satisfied is not anything I am charged with to fix.
Quote:

I'm not sure, but I think you are saying that what enables you to "understand" (ie. accept) what to others of us is nonsensical, is trusting that the LC-MS doctrines are true, whether you understand them or not?
Not quite.
Determining the truth isn't based on trusting what the LCMS teaches, it's being lead to trust by the Holy Spirit in what God teaches in the Bible that determines absolute truth which in turn the Bible is searched to see if the LCMS preaches the truth --- just exactly how the Bereans validated Paul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 09:17 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,349,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Someone sent me a Facebook post.

"I am a Christian. I am not perfect. I screw up. I make mistakes. But God's grace is bigger than my sins."

I think that's the point.
More to the point if you replace "Christian" with "human."

Old 01-15-2016, 01:07 AM

32,533 posts, read 22,192,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You'd think if there was truth in Christianity, there wouldn't be thousands of different, separate sub-sects claiming to own it - and each disagreeing with the other.

Christianity IS the Tower of Babel (Babble) (Bible babble).
It may well be the ***** of Babylon...

Old 01-15-2016, 10:08 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,467,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Well, actually that is not Calvinism, that is Hyper-Calvinism...Calvinism is split in two camps...

Okay, thanks for the info. I'm no expert on Calvinism. Just sharing what I understand is the Lutheran response to the doctrine of double-predestination.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
More to the point if you replace "Christian" with "human."
That deserves an "Amen!"

Old 01-15-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
So in other words for something to be truth ... God's thoughts better conform to your thoughts.
Got it.

Twin, I would venture to guess that you are not in the habit of accepting things that people tell you (beyond what you already believe to be true), if it is self-contradictory. I'm not sure why you think anyone should make an exception for your beliefs, simply because they are YOUR beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin
[/b]It was answered ... you may not being satisfied is not anything I am charged with to fix.
Okay ... I didn't see an answer. But, since you're obviously put off by me asking, I'm going to assume you meant to answer:

NO, you do not understand that people are expressing what they actually believe to be truth, and that they value the truth they believe they have grasped, just as you do. And NO, you do not understand that just because someone does not agree with YOU about something, it does not mean they are a fool or a swine or a dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin
Not quite.
Determining the truth isn't based on trusting what the LCMS teaches, it's being lead to trust by the Holy Spirit in what God teaches in the Bible that determines absolute truth which in turn the Bible is searched to see if the LCMS preaches the truth --- just exactly how the Bereans validated Paul.
And all the people who think they are being led by God to believe things that aren't in line with what YOU (and the Lutheran church) believe about God are, let me guess, dogs?

Old 01-15-2016, 10:32 AM

37,348 posts, read 28,466,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Got it.
No, they just need to be higher. If I have the wonderful quality of unconditional forgiveness, then either God gave that to me or he's got something even higher than that.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
No, they just need to be higher. If I have the wonderful quality of unconditional forgiveness, then either God gave that to me or he's got something even higher than that.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:08 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,551,111 times
Quote:

Twin, I would venture to guess that you are not in the habit of accepting things that people tell you (beyond what you already believe to be true), if it is self-contradictory. I'm not sure why you think anyone should make an exception for your beliefs, simply because they are YOUR beliefs.
Why is it so difficult for you to understand a basic concept ...
Quote:
Okay ... I didn't see an answer. But, since you're obviously put off by me asking, I'm going to assume you meant to answer:

NO, you do not understand that people are expressing what they actually believe to be truth, and that they value the truth they believe they have grasped, just as you do. And NO, you do not understand that just because someone does not agree with YOU about something, it does not mean they are a fool or a swine or a dog.
Once again, God is the one who is calling certain people fools ... that won't change.
As far as swine \ dogs ... ever heard of an term called " analogy"?
In those verses God is using an analogy of what unbelievers natural reaction is ... not calling them specifically a swine or a dog.

Quote:
And all the people who think they are being led by God to believe things that aren't in line with what YOU (and the Lutheran church) believe about God are, let me guess, dogs?
The bigger question is why you think God should make an exception for your beliefs, simply because they are YOUR beliefs.

Your question is answered this way: those who reject the truth, God says they will react in their unbelief like the same way that a dog reacts to vomit \ or swine does to mud.

And your continual reaction proves God knows what he is talking about.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:41 PM

64,150 posts, read 40,503,728 times
Quote:

Twin's intransigence and rote regurgitation of scripture with the wrong interpretations suggest that he will not engage the material intellectually at all, Pleroo. There is no there, there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity