Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2016, 10:03 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,551,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
One MORE time: there is a difference between quoting the Bible as an expression of a spiritual truth approved BY the Spirit and accepting ANYthing that the Bible says as that truth.

You won't understand this time either, so carry on.
Oh contraire ... we understand perfectly what you're trying to excuse away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 10:12 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,998,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Oh contraire ... we understand perfectly what you're trying to excuse away.
What I am "trying to excuse away" are the inconsistencies and contradictions you have to jump through some serious hoops to explain in trying to present a complete harmony of the Bible; an impossible task.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:42 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,467,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
One MORE time: there is a difference between quoting the Bible as an expression of a spiritual truth approved BY the Spirit and accepting ANYthing that the Bible says as that truth.

You won't understand this time either, so carry on.
Lol. I totally misunderstood him, apparently.

I'm "double minded" because I quote the bible? Twin, have you ever quoted any writing that wasn't infallible or inerrant? Does that make you "double-minded"?

Old 01-25-2016, 06:57 PM

28,152 posts, read 30,189,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As regards obedience to laws and rules, it is you and those "Obeyers", like Katz and so many others who do NOT seem to understand our loving God.
It's pretty presumptuous when people start telling other people that they "don't understand our loving God." Maybe it's you who doesn't understand Him. Has it ever occurred to you that maybe you don't really know Him any better than the rest of us? How the hell do you know what I do or do not understand about God? My understanding of Him is every bit as valid and legitimate as yours is. What I don't understand is why anyone who claims to understand Him has to resort to these constant, thinly-veiled personal attacks. As far as I'm concerned, they have absolutely no place on this forum.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:32 PM

64,150 posts, read 40,503,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As regards the supposed special status of Jews, you are right. I reject it and will never understand how anyone COULD accept it. As regards obedience to laws and rules, it is you and those "Obeyers", like Katz and so many others who do NOT seem to understand our loving God. Obedience was needed during the Schoolmaster stage of our species' evolution. But it is to be discarded when we reach spiritual maturity in agape love of God and each other. I understand that we are all at different stages of spiritual development, Richard, and obedience plays an important role for many. But it is NOT the desired state of mind. Those who stay in it fail to develop properly, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It's pretty presumptuous when people start telling other people that they "don't understand our loving God." Maybe it's you who doesn't understand Him. Has it ever occurred to you that maybe you don't really know Him any better than the rest of us? How the hell do you know what I do or do not understand about God? My understanding of Him is every bit as valid and legitimate as yours is. What I don't understand is why anyone who claims to understand Him has to resort to these constant, thinly-veiled personal attacks. As far as I'm concerned, they have absolutely no place on this forum.
I DID say IMO, but your criticism is well-taken and I apologize. I admit that for me obedience that does not achieve some purpose beyond obedience seems pointless.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:26 PM

589 posts, read 333,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse2014 View Post
Does obedience to the law of God save us or not?
No but it helps keep us in line morally. Believing in Jesus saves us. He only asks that he wait for him until he comes again.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:19 AM

37,348 posts, read 28,466,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Ok, so what's the problem? Why do people like me deserve never-ending torture after we die?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamFan View Post
Because you are one of us and we all deserve nothing from God.
Lol . So we deserve never ending torture then? How can we be saved from it ?

Old 02-03-2016, 07:27 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,374,979 times
God's GRACE, aka MERCY, is FREE for the asking.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:50 AM

150 posts, read 97,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Lol . So we deserve never ending torture then? How can we be saved from it ?
I never said that. You keep trying to imply this untruth.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:17 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,998,604 times
Quote:
I never said that. You keep trying to imply this untruth.
HamFan, if you will notice, your reply to a direct and quoted question was that we do deseve never ending punishment: "Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Ok, so what's the problem? Why do people like me deserve never-ending torture after we die?
Quote:
Because you are one of us and we all deserve nothing from God." You may have made an error in your reply, but it WAS direct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity