Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2016, 09:10 AM

18,508 posts, read 9,185,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
God's grace isn't about giving a person the opportunity to prove themselves worthy, and when you've shown him then .....

God never ever ... ever ... ever ... ever ... ever ... made such statement \ revelation as grace being conditional by showing your obedience other than it being free.
Matthew 10:8
... Freely you have received; freely give.

Romans 3:24
and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Ephesians 1:6
to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.

1 Corinthians 2:12
What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God,
so that we may understand what God has freely given us.

Revelation 22:17
The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let the one who hears say, “Come!” Let the one who is thirsty come;
and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life.
But a person has to hold up their end of the bargain by believing, right? As if belief were something voluntary. Conservative Lutherans even go so far as saying that "unbelief" is a sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 09:10 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,071,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As regards the supposed special status of Jews, you are right. I reject it and will never understand how anyone COULD accept it. As regards obedience to laws and rules, it is you and those "Obeyers", like Katz and so many others who do NOT seem to understand our loving God. Obedience was needed during the Schoolmaster stage of our species' evolution. But it is to be discarded when we reach spiritual maturity in agape love of God and each other. I understand that we are all at different stages of spiritual development, Richard, and obedience plays an important role for many. But it is NOT the desired state of mind. Those who stay in it fail to develop properly, IMO.
Looks more like you consider yourself in a special status....

Old 01-11-2016, 09:57 AM

52 posts, read 31,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse2014 View Post
Does obedience to the law of God save us or not?

No... there is no "work" that can save.
Salvation is by the Sovereign (unmerited) Grace of God

Note: All acts of repentance are the RESULT of "regeneration"... not the cause.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:27 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,507,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Belief is involuntary. I can't make myself believe something. If I don't believe something, it's because I am not convinced. My lack of belief in the unbelievable is not some kind of character flaw.
Your self announced lack of belief doesn't stem from a character flaw

Quote:
But a person has to hold up their end of the bargain by believing, right? As if belief were something voluntary. Conservative Lutherans even go so far as saying that "unbelief" is a sin.
Your mental blockage to correct Biblical teaching doesn't stem from a character flaw if you think the correct faith is some sort of "bargain" with God.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:49 AM

18,508 posts, read 9,185,869 times
Quote:

Your mental blockage to correct Biblical teaching doesn't stem from a character flaw if you think the correct faith is some sort of "bargain" with God.
Ok, so what's the problem? Why do people like me deserve never-ending torture after we die?

Old 01-11-2016, 10:59 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,071,169 times
Quote:
Ok, so what's the problem? Why do people like me deserve never-ending torture after we die?
Because you are.............maybe................SATAN!!!..... .........Pehaps???...

Old 01-11-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:
That's not the question to be asking ....

Old 01-11-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse2014 View Post
Does obedience to the law of God save us or not?
God never ever made such a revelation as grace being conditional by your obedience other than it being free.
Matthew 10:8
... Freely you have received; freely give.

Romans 3:24
and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Ephesians 1:6
to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.

1 Corinthians 2:12
What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God,
so that we may understand what God has freely given us.

Revelation 22:17
The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let the one who hears say, “Come!” Let the one who is thirsty come;
and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:12 AM

150 posts, read 97,256 times
Quote:
Because you are one of us and we all deserve nothing from God.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:25 AM

150 posts, read 97,256 times
Quote:
Belief is involuntary. I can't make myself believe something. If I don't believe something, it's because I am not convinced. My lack of belief in the unbelievable is not some kind of character flaw.
You make a valid point. Man often will not consider something in order to maintain his belief or disbelief as the case may be. Others listen, read, view, research, and/or investigate to see if they can believe a thing or not. I know many who will not consider the bible at all and I am sure it is to maintain their rejection of it or parts of it. So I do believe we have a voluntary role to play many times in what we believe.

I am reminded of the scripture that say's "faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God". So many work hard at rejecting the Word of God in order to prevent gaining faith. IMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity