Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2016, 03:32 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,420,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Well, that was nice of you.

If I am speaking, I only have one agenda and it will always be the same agenda because I will always find myself found wanting in the eyes of God, and I am always looking to cover my own sins.

James 5

Restoring a Sinner
19My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, 20consider this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and cover over a multitude of sins.

I bet I have been the person who has persuaded at least 20 people to begin having respect for the commandments of God and keeping the feast days of God and I take great pride in this especially because I know it is way more than 20, but if I only could say it was one, I would cover a multitude of sins.

The difference being, whatever holy days and Sabbaths a person keeps, they mark that person, and to persuade a person into just watching and knowing their appointed times puts a protective seal and memorial between their eyes so that God says,'' This one is mine.''

Each person I have changed has changed others and all of this comes from a profound need to cover sins.

Maybe it will balance out for me.

I used to have a felt need for that, instilled in me by my fundamentalist Christian upbringing. I am grateful to have come to the realization that it is not God but humans who, for various reasons, insist that God is angry with us and keeping a record of wrongs against us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 07:14 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,090,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
If we both claim to follow Christ then they should be what He unambiguously taught: that love or concern for the well-being of everyone in any situation that is known by it's Greek name: Agape.

If you have a different agenda, you willhave different principles.
Well, I don't remember him teaching that...And I've read the NT several times...

Old 06-13-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
No, it is not, and Jewish thought was moving toward acknowledgement of that principle AS the guiding principle for living in community and away from sacrifices and strict adherence to a set of rules long before Jesus took up the message. Many Jews today realize its importance but still cling to most of the mitzvot as something more than exptession of ethnic identity, and it is those who insist on imposing those forms on the rest of the world who are in error.
Yea, it is...You are being dishonest...

Jews do not impose anything on the rest of world, another thing that you are being dishonest about...

Old 06-13-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
No what I am doing as opposed to what you are doing is recognizing the straightforward meaning of the concept rather than cooking up wild explanations to support my agenda.
What wild explanations?...What are you drinking?...

Old 06-13-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Jesus does not have a worship system, and that is where you miss the mark. What Jesus has is a Way of life that expresses and IS community with God and man...in spirit and in truth, neither in Jerusalem nor on the mountain.

We call it "the sacramental life."
Sounds like the stuff the hippies spouted in the 60s....

Old 06-13-2016, 08:24 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,948,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Sounds like the stuff the hippies spouted in the 60s....
Could be, it IS stuff Quakers spouted in the 1760's

Old 06-13-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Yea, it is...You are being dishonest...

Jews do not impose anything on the rest of world, another thing that you are being dishonest about...
I already noted that what I meant was that the idea of loving our neighbor is not new, not that it was not in the Bible before Jesus.

I don't think I said anything about Jews imposing anything, I said YOU were trying to impose your perceptions on others claiming that it is God's requirements.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
What wild explanations?...What are you drinking?...
The explanations you have made before about the meaning of "the letter kills but the spirit gives life." Do I need to look up and cite your inanity or would you actually grace us with your explanation of what you think it DOES mean at this time?

Old 06-13-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
The explanations you have made before about the meaning of "the letter kills but the spirit gives life." Do I need to look up and cite your inanity or would you actually grace us with your explanation of what you think it DOES mean at this time?
No...Go ahead and look it up...

Old 06-13-2016, 10:27 PM

63,943 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
If we both claim to follow Christ then they should be what He unambiguously taught: that love or concern for the well-being of everyone in any situation that is known by it's Greek name: Agape.
If you have a different agenda, you will have different principles.
Quote:
Well, I don't remember him teaching that...And I've read the NT several times...
You are just being deliberately obtuse and dishonest. Here is a post that should jog your so-called memory of the NT regarding agape love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity