Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2016, 06:52 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,070,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I was trying to figure out what you were talking about and it kind of reminded me of what few Buddhist things I have read. Your above response to Trout shed some light on it. It looks like you are more talking about locus of control. Am I understanding you correctly that you have an external locus of control and believe God is responsible for personal development and it's less on the efforts of the individual? I have a very high internal locus of control and I am more "get off ur ass" and if you need help ask for it but first and foremost "get off ur ass". That doesn't work all too often by the way.

No one had to tell me I have an ego. I can see how much lipstick I am going through.

The ONLY thing He requires is a willing vessel. The faster a person submits to His Spirit the faster He can work in them. When He said ye can do NOTHING without Me, He didn't mean a few things, or some things, He meant NO THING. There is nothing apart from His Spirit internally working within us that can change us for the long term better; habits don't die, illnesses don't disappear, attitudes don't change, sin doesn't stop.

All of these things that plague us have spiritual roots and without dealing with the root, just like weeds in the natural, pretty soon the fruit is right back. But whom the SON sets free is free indeed, and anything else is an exercise in futility, IF the person truly desires change, because He changes us from the inside out, not the outside in.

Mainstream Chrisitanity sold everyone a false bill of goods, that made relationship with Him like a one time does it all, quick stop shopping trip, get your Jesus and go, instead of a long term spiritually ACTIVE relationship that produces the liberty of the Spirit and growth that leads to knowing who they are in Christ, and relationship with the Father. Knowing who He is, is only the first step. Knowing who He is in you, is a different thing altogether.

The difficult part is coming to the realization of this and accepting it, because man's pride wants to say they accomplished something. But anything they accomplish is temporal, therefore short-term and transitory.

As I have said before, this is where mainstream Christianity missed it big-time, because they eliminated their pattern (the tabernacle), which is the key to unlocking ALL mysteries about ourselves and our makeup and our Creator. Without a vision, His people perish, and they removed the vision. Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 07:31 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,964,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Alright, suppose my principles are different than yours?...
If we both claim to follow Christ then they should be what He unambiguously taught: that love or concern for the well-being of everyone in any situation that is known by it's Greek name: Agape.

If you have a different agenda, you willhave different principles.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Love your neighbor as yourself is expressed in the Torah...So, nothing new...
No, it is not, and Jewish thought was moving toward acknowledgement of that principle AS the guiding principle for living in community and away from sacrifices and strict adherence to a set of rules long before Jesus took up the message. Many Jews today realize its importance but still cling to most of the mitzvot as something more than exptession of ethnic identity, and it is those who insist on imposing those forms on the rest of the world who are in error.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
You don't understand "the letter kills", you are just parroting the writer who wrote that...
No what I am doing as opposed to what you are doing is recognizing the straightforward meaning of the concept rather than cooking up wild explanations to support my agenda.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No, it is not, and Jewish thought was moving toward acknowledgement of that principle AS the guiding principle for living in community and away from sacrifices and strict adherence to a set of rules long before Jesus took up the message. Many Jews today realize its importance but still cling to most of the mitzvot as something more than exptession of ethnic identity, and it is those who insist on imposing those forms on the rest of the world who are in error.

Oh, yes it is, Richard is right. It's estimated a full 80% of the NT scripture is a direct reference the Torah and the Prophets. If it were looked at through a Jewish mindset instead of a Hellenistic Greek western based mindset, the figure would more likely be 100%, since He didn't change. Peace

Old 06-13-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Oh, yes it is, Richard is right. It's estimated a full 80% of the NT scripture is a direct reference the Torah and the Prophets. If it were looked at through a Jewish mindset instead of a Hellenistic Greek western based mindset, the figure would more likely be 100%, since He didn't change. Peace
Well, I see that I expressed myself poorly: I meant "no, it is not new."

What I learn from people with an agenda is what their agenda is. Thankfully, I am open to the universal message of the Christ and not parochial concerns.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:06 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,830,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I doubt it was not paying attention so much as blindly promoting dogma and assuming the lie was true. They cannot imagine NOT condemning others for their sin because they think that sin is God's focus. They do not get that God wants agape love and that would eliminate sin if practiced perfectly. It is our imperfect agape love that requires our repentance.
Insightful and cogent as always, Pleroo. This reveals the insidiousness of such self-loathing. The "filthy rags" doctrine is at the root of many psychological problems, not least of which is fundamentalist bigotry and hatred.
Ah filthy rags. An issue of blood. Look to the moon and there will be signs. And the Sun will be turned to darkness.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:10 PM

Just letting you know I hear you, I can't rep you..... Blessings....

Old 06-13-2016, 12:15 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,830,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Ah filthy rags. An issue of blood. Look to the moon and there will be signs. And the Sun will be turned to darkness.
Let me ask you something sir ambiguous.
am·big·u·ous
amˈbiɡyo͞oəs/
adjective
(of language) open to more than one interpretation; having a double meaning.
"the question is rather ambiguous"
unclear or inexact because a choice between alternatives has not been made.
"this whole society is morally ambiguous"
synonyms: equivocal, ambivalent, open to debate/argument, arguable, debatable; More

How will you guard your heart with out instruction?

Old 06-13-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Let me ask you something sir ambiguous.
am·big·u·ous
amˈbiɡyo͞oəs/
adjective
(of language) open to more than one interpretation; having a double meaning.
"the question is rather ambiguous"
unclear or inexact because a choice between alternatives has not been made.
"this whole society is morally ambiguous"
synonyms: equivocal, ambivalent, open to debate/argument, arguable, debatable; More

How will you guard your heart with out instruction?

Who are you talking to? Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity