Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 05:52 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I would say if serving God feels like a sacrifice you are doing it wrong. I think that's the mindset of someone who doesn't trust the promise that God will have your back no matter what. A person can't serve two masters. They can't serve themselves with thoughts of salvation while they love God. People like that just love what God can do for them. I think that's why so many don't understand the unconditional love thing.
The base premise is that some times doing the right thing doesn't feel all that good.

Its a sound base notion to me. We may have to choose between no good choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 05:55 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,337,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
The base premise is that some times doing the right thing doesn't feel all that good.

Its a sound base notion to me. We may have to choose between no good choices.
Such as? Everyone has the own idea of what the right thing is. I'm sure my mother shunning me isn't enjoyable for her but it's the right thing in her mind. In my world, it's doing the wrong thing that feels bad.

Old 07-27-2021, 06:04 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
Quote:
Such as? Everyone has the own idea of what the right thing is. I'm sure my mother shunning me isn't enjoyable for her but it's the right thing in her mind. In my world, it's doing the wrong thing that feels bad.
there are many choices we have that don't feel good.

Freedom of religion over freedom from religion is one of them. Scarred and recovering people may not see that line as clearly as the those of us that didn't have those experiences. Although terrible, they do cloud the visions.

Or in your case. Not going down with the ship even when its mom. Its ok to love and be angry at them at the same time. Both are hard choices, to hold them at the same time, and understand that, is almost a miracle.

Old 07-27-2021, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
there are many choices we have that don't feel good.

Freedom of religion over freedom from religion is one of them. Scarred and recovering people may not see that line as clearly as the those of us that didn't have those experiences. Although terrible, they do cloud the visions.

Or in your case. Not going down with the ship even when its mom. Its ok to love and be angry at them at the same time. Both are hard choices, to hold them at the same time, and understand that, is almost a miracle.
Freedom from is necessary if we are to have freedom of. The whole point of that is autonomy. There's nothing to feel bad about?

I'm not angry at my mom. I don't have strong emotions over her 7 years into the shun. She feels it's best to shun her daughter. She can make that decision if she wants. I just happen to be the daughter and that's as personal as it gets. Understanding someone's viewpoint is a great cure for pain.

Old 07-28-2021, 06:33 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,549 times
Quote:
I would say if serving God feels like a sacrifice you are doing it wrong. I think that's the mindset of someone who doesn't trust the promise that God will have your back no matter what. A person can't serve two masters. They can't serve themselves with thoughts of salvation while they love God. People like that just love what God can do for them. I think that's why so many don't understand the unconditional love thing.

All people have three things that they can give Jehovah, their time, talent, and treasure. All Christians give some of all three of those. We give it willingly and obviously it is a sacrifice, which gives us great joy knowing we have done our part. Serving Jehovah is the best way of life, at least in my opinion. That is why no one has been successful in getting me to leave my God. I have come close on several occasions, but am still serving faithfully.

I had better include this as I am not sure I mentioned it to you before, yes at one time I did leave the faith from 87 to 97. I certainly was not happy in how I evolved, nor were the individuals I associated with. When I returned I had made up my mind to stand distant, but by the year 2000 I had made the truth my own, and have been able to live it since. Sin free, no, but working very hard to live the faith without hypocrisy.

Old 07-28-2021, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
All people have three things that they can give Jehovah, their time, talent, and treasure. All Christians give some of all three of those. We give it willingly and obviously it is a sacrifice, which gives us great joy knowing we have done our part. Serving Jehovah is the best way of life, at least in my opinion. That is why no one has been successful in getting me to leave my God. I have come close on several occasions, but am still serving faithfully.

I had better include this as I am not sure I mentioned it to you before, yes at one time I did leave the faith from 87 to 97. I certainly was not happy in how I evolved, nor were the individuals I associated with. When I returned I had made up my mind to stand distant, but by the year 2000 I had made the truth my own, and have been able to live it since. Sin free, no, but working very hard to live the faith without hypocrisy.
I left in 1987 as well.....I just never returned.

A Tail of Two Apostates

It was the end of days; it's always the end of days.

Muwahwahwah.

I really do need an example of why doing the right thing feels bad?

Old 07-28-2021, 09:12 PM

23,175 posts, read 10,468,780 times
Quote:

God requires you to purchase oil, he requires you to purchase gold refined on a fire, he requires you buy balm, and to know how to find a pearl in a field, to know what a field and a pearl are, to then purchase the field in which you found a pearl

Thats.the thing, God gives us the stocks to buy, and he explains exactly what we are to spend our time and money on in secret.

He tells the Christian's what to spend his tithes on as a reall stock to buy his own future so that he will be rich.

Problem is, Christian's have no idea what the hell Jesus spoke of when he tells us to purchase the oil, the gold, the pearl, the field, the balm, the covering.

It is hidden from Christians, Christian's will never purchase the oil because they dont know what it is, and even if the wise informed them where and how to purchase it, they wouldn't believe it.

They wont believe it until it's too late to purchase oil, but when the purchasers of oil begin to shine, they will believe then, they will see why.

What good is all the good.intentions or hopes?

If you don't.know how to prepare, all the good intentions in the world cant change you into somebody who did prepare, their preparation isnt for nothing just because you didn't prepare.

Not everyone will be counted the same.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:08 AM

Quote:
I left in 1987 as well.....I just never returned.

A Tail of Two Apostates

It was the end of days; it's always the end of days.

Muwahwahwah.

I really do need an example of why doing the right thing feels bad?

I do not understand your ending statement maam, how can doing the right thing feel bad. Not being raised in the truth, I have done many things that haunt me. I really mean it seriously, many times I am tormented to tears for some of the things that I have done and cannot make amends for, yet I cannot remove them from my mind. Thankfully I have been able to make things right with some of my victims.

My nephew was much worse than I, and I always thought that if he ever developed love like I did, how he would have to undergo those memories as well. Sadly the world bit him maam, he died about a year after he got out of prison. He was making headway in the truth, attending the meetings, but when the covid hit, he continued to attend, but was not receiving the encouragement he needed to progress. It may have been the best thing however, as I am not sure he would ever have made the truth his own, although I did. But I am sure he will receive a resurrection.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
God requires you to purchase oil, he requires you to purchase gold refined on a fire, he requires you buy balm, and to know how to find a pearl in a field, to know what a field and a pearl are, to then purchase the field in which you found a pearl

Thats.the thing, God gives us the stocks to buy, and he explains exactly what we are to spend our time and money on in secret.

He tells the Christian's what to spend his tithes on as a reall stock to buy his own future so that he will be rich.

Problem is, Christian's have no idea what the hell Jesus spoke of when he tells us to purchase the oil, the gold, the pearl, the field, the balm, the covering.

It is hidden from Christians, Christian's will never purchase the oil because they dont know what it is, and even if the wise informed them where and how to purchase it, they wouldn't believe it.

They wont believe it until it's too late to purchase oil, but when the purchasers of oil begin to shine, they will believe then, they will see why.

What good is all the good.intentions or hopes?

If you don't.know how to prepare, all the good intentions in the world cant change you into somebody who did prepare, their preparation isnt for nothing just because you didn't prepare.

Not everyone will be counted the same.

Well Hans if purchasing oil is what gets us there, I am a shoe in sir!

On a serious note, that was a parable, and it was directed to the anointed, it was to help them to realize that although they did not know the day or hour, they were to remain vigilant and prepared for Jesus' return. To stay awake and keep on the watch the world conditions that would reveal the closeness of the day of Jehovah's judgment.

Old 07-29-2021, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I do not understand your ending statement maam, how can doing the right thing feel bad. Not being raised in the truth, I have done many things that haunt me. I really mean it seriously, many times I am tormented to tears for some of the things that I have done and cannot make amends for, yet I cannot remove them from my mind. Thankfully I have been able to make things right with some of my victims.

My nephew was much worse than I, and I always thought that if he ever developed love like I did, how he would have to undergo those memories as well. Sadly the world bit him maam, he died about a year after he got out of prison. He was making headway in the truth, attending the meetings, but when the covid hit, he continued to attend, but was not receiving the encouragement he needed to progress. It may have been the best thing however, as I am not sure he would ever have made the truth his own, although I did. But I am sure he will receive a resurrection.
You didn't say that, AA did and I should have asked you based on what you said. Senior moment. So, how is serving God a sacrifice?

Quote:
Thanks for your honest answer maam. I am sure you realize that plays in heavily on your faith. If all of us were honest, I believe that there is a percentage of doubt in all of our minds. The real fact is that God either exists or He doesn't. I have personally never heard God's voice, but I do believe Jesus existed. I believe that Jesus believed that God existed, and that belief motivated him to suffer horribly and die for that. Not only that, but the apostles were willing to as well. Most of us who choose to serve God will never have to undergo the tribulations that they did, and in all honesty serving God is the best way of life, better for you, as well as better for those around you. Sure it is a sacrifice serving Him, but if He truly exists, do you not think it will be well worth it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity