Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 04:54 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Wow. Well these are definitely religious services. Where is the line drawn? And why would you not be disciplined for attending a Catholic funeral mass?

I agree that they are religious services, as are most patriotic ceremonies, but our light participation is simply showing respect for others beliefs. We are not there to learn, or to participate in the services in a way that would compromise our faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 10:07 AM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
I do not doubt at all CC, it is simply what the Bible really teaches.
Well highway, when you change your mind, and are ready to meet Him,
He will still be waiting for you, as He has ALWAYS been ready:

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. (Hebrews 13:8) - your bible does teach this, right?

Old 07-12-2021, 10:20 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Lol, the bible is full of examples about us?

They wrote about your people?

If Christian's practice Babylonian Christmas and Easter, how does that not getting intertwined work for them? No doubt, involving oneself in paganism makes a pagan, but why dont Christian's believe this?

If you change Gods holy days, you have changed religions.
Hanni, he's a Jehovah's Witness. They DON'T observe Christmas or Easter and as a matter of fact get very nasty with people who mention that they do (real life experience as well as on this forum).

So, you and the JW's have that in common.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:24 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
You are correct Mensa, I actually thought I did, but when I reread it somehow I overlooked it. Yes, we would be subject to discipline for attending meetings of another faith. The Bible is full of examples of us getting intertwined with other faiths and what we reaped from doing so.
Some Catholic people are like that, too. When I was young, my friend was not allowed to go to my church or our youth group meetings because we were not Catholic, and one of my ex-husband's friends refused to attend our church wedding because it was not a Catholic wedding. He had no problem coming to the reception and eating the food and drinking himself into a stagger, though.

And I knew an Episcopalian woman who married a Catholic man when she was 17 and never saw her parents again, so great was their disapproval of her marrying a Catholic.

So, that's not unique to JWs.

Old 07-12-2021, 11:39 AM

23,175 posts, read 10,468,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hanni, he's a Jehovah's Witness. They DON'T observe Christmas or Easter and as a matter of fact get very nasty with people who mention that they do (real life experience as well as on this forum).

I didnt think he did Christmas and Easter, I said Christian's just talking in general, either way, he doesn't keep the Sabbaths, like Passover, he might keep Passover except that he changed it, and it cant be changed.

Old 07-12-2021, 01:30 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,786 times
Quote:
Some Catholic people are like that, too. When I was young, my friend was not allowed to go to my church or our youth group meetings because we were not Catholic, and one of my ex-husband's friends refused to attend our church wedding because it was not a Catholic wedding. He had no problem coming to the reception and eating the food and drinking himself into a stagger, though.

And I knew an Episcopalian woman who married a Catholic man when she was 17 and never saw her parents again, so great was their disapproval of her marrying a Catholic.

Actually the Catholic church does not prohibit attendance at (or even participation in) presumptively valid non-Catholic weddings - I have stood as groomsman two times already for friends who are non-Catholic.
With approval Catholics are indeed allowed to marry non-Catholics.

Likewise with bible-study, prayer rallies, retreats, etc as long as participants are mature enough to remain civil and charitable regarding any differences. My family/children were long involved in 2 national Christian debate leagues - NCFCA and STOA - great organizations and great people. Catholics also can attend services of other faiths (not as a substitute for regular obligations), but should abstain from participation in any contradictory activity.

Yes, a great many Catholics are jerks, but I believe that quality is not unique to Catholics, nor taught anywhere in Catholic doctrine.

Old 07-13-2021, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Well highway, when you change your mind, and are ready to meet Him,
He will still be waiting for you, as He has ALWAYS been ready:

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. (Hebrews 13:8) - your bible does teach this, right?

Yes it does CC. The only thing that changes my mind is Biblical evidence, not opinion.

Old 07-13-2021, 05:46 AM

Quote:

I apologize for my brothers and sisters who get nasty with you maam. Although we are far from perfect, we need to display the fruits of the spirit at all times, especially when speaking to others about God.

It is true we do not get involved with the goddess easter, nor the god saturn, but we should explain the reasons in a kind way. The real truth is that those celebrations are not practiced in the Bible. Likely you recognize them both as religious holy days, so if the true God wanted to celebrate those things, isn't it reasonable to think He would see to it that it is in the Bible?

Old 07-13-2021, 05:47 AM

Quote:

No maam, in fact I would question a faith that wouldn't be that way as being insincere about the seriousness of their faith. In other words, since the Bible states there is one faith, I would want to make sure that I am in that one faith, and follow the Bible's admonition to quit touching the unclean thing. (2 Corinthians 6:14-17) . . .Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? 15 Further, what harmony is there between Christ and Beʹli·al? Or what does a believer share in common with an unbeliever? 16 And what agreement does God’s temple have with idols? For we are a temple of a living God; just as God said: “I will reside among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people.” 17 “‘Therefore, get out from among them, and separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing’”; “‘and I will take you in.’. . .

Old 07-13-2021, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I didnt think he did Christmas and Easter, I said Christian's just talking in general, either way, he doesn't keep the Sabbaths, like Passover, he might keep Passover except that he changed it, and it cant be changed.

Christ became our Passover Hans 1 Cor 5:7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity