Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 05:31 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
OK, we know now that Highway54 won't attend the LDS General Conference.

Maybe someone else familiar with the Jehovah's Witnesses rules and regulations can answer the other questions, which were not answered.
But what would your governing body say you should do if invited to the LDS Church's semi-annual General Conference?

Would you be subject to discipline if you did [attend]?

It will also be available on-line, so you can watch it from your home. How would you feel about that?

Or does being open to learning about beliefs other than one's own only work in one direction?

Why not ask one of us sir? I will answer that for you, we would definitely thank them for the invitation, likely that would be it. We might even commend them for actually coming to us with an invitation, as that is very rare today.

Yes we would be, we stay focused on worshipping and serving our God Jehovah. Mat 4:10

Watching it online would really be the same as attending for the most part, therefore we would not do that, unless there was a particular reason to. Most of the time a faith will have a website where we can get information about beliefs of their faith.

Me personally I would rather discuss differences in the faith to determine which is in line with the Bible, but the brothers educate us to find common ground. We are always open to learning, matter of fact we learn everyday, but when something is not taught in the Bible, that would definitely be a deterrent. I have always accepted literature from others, as long as they are willing to discuss it after I read it. Most reject my offer to do so though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 05:53 AM

16,679 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
If I remember correctly Thor, I said the Christian Congregation. It was altered by a moderator of this site.
I did that. It was blatantly obvious that it wasn't a Convention of all Christians; just Jehovah's Witnesses. Are you suggesting now that the Catholics, Baptists, Anglicans, Methodists, Lutherans, and Presbyterians all have delegations attending the Convention?

Old 07-08-2021, 05:57 AM

16,679 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Why not ask one of us sir? I will answer that for you, we would definitely thank them for the invitation, likely that would be it. We might even commend them for actually coming to us with an invitation, as that is very rare today.

Yes we would be, we stay focused on worshipping and serving our God Jehovah. Mat 4:10

Watching it online would really be the same as attending for the most part, therefore we would not do that, unless there was a particular reason to. Most of the time a faith will have a website where we can get information about beliefs of their faith.

Me personally I would rather discuss differences in the faith to determine which is in line with the Bible, but the brothers educate us to find common ground. We are always open to learning, matter of fact we learn everyday, but when something is not taught in the Bible, that would definitely be a deterrent. I have always accepted literature from others, as long as they are willing to discuss it after I read it. Most reject my offer to do so though.
You still didn't answer all of Katzpur's questions.

She asked you if the Jehovah's Witnesses would take any action against you for attending her church's Convention, and what that punishment might be.

Maybe somebody else will answer her.

Old 07-09-2021, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You still didn't answer all of Katzpur's questions.

She asked you if the Jehovah's Witnesses would take any action against you for attending her church's Convention, and what that punishment might be.

Maybe somebody else will answer her.

You are correct Mensa, I actually thought I did, but when I reread it somehow I overlooked it. Yes, we would be subject to discipline for attending meetings of another faith. The Bible is full of examples of us getting intertwined with other faiths and what we reaped from doing so.

Old 07-09-2021, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So I have a question for you, highway. It's very simple and straightforward and requires no dancing around the issue. You're inviting all non-JWs to the Jehovah's Witnesses conference. That's all fine and good. But what would your governing body say you should do if invited to the LDS Church's semi-annual General Conference. You seem to think it might be a good idea for me to attend your conference. Would you be willing to attend mine? Would you be subject to discipline if you did? It will also be available on-line, so you can watch it from your home. How would you feel about that? Or does being open to learning about beliefs other than one's own only work in one direction?

I am sorry Kat for overlooking one of your questions, Mensa brought it to my attention. I did mention we do not practice interfaith, so yes we would be subject to discipline if we were attending meetings of another faith.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:28 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
I am sorry Kat for overlooking one of your questions, Mensa brought it to my attention. I did mention we do not practice interfaith, so yes we would be subject to discipline if we were attending meetings of another faith.
Well, I guess that's a pretty good way of keeping the flock in line. No opportunity to stray by even observing how others worship.

Old 07-09-2021, 09:27 AM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,786 times
Quote:
If you ever find any that he does attend, please let me know so I can go as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Pm me your zipcode and I'll extend a local invitation.
John 6:51-58
Quote:
I live in central illinois CC
Here ya go: https://masstimes.org/map?lat=41.477...al,%20Illinois
pick any location/day/time that meets your needs, and you are always welcome.
If you're ever in the DFW area I'll join you and even treat you to lunch after.

Old 07-09-2021, 04:46 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Here ya go: https://masstimes.org/map?lat=41.477...al,%20Illinois
pick any location/day/time that meets your needs, and you are always welcome.
If you're ever in the DFW area I'll join you and even treat you to lunch after.
I've been to mass twice -- Christmas mass here in Salt Lake City, and another mass (it was a special one that's held a week before Christmas -- not sure what it's called) at St. Patrick's in NYC. Beautiful, spiritual experience! I'm pretty much expecting that God will forgive me.

Last edited by Katzpur; 07-09-2021 at 05:00 PM..

Old 07-09-2021, 06:17 PM

23,175 posts, read 10,468,780 times
Quote:
The Bible is full of examples of us getting intertwined with other faiths and what we reaped from doing so.
Lol, the bible is full of examples about us?

They wrote about your people?

If Christian's practice Babylonian Christmas and Easter, how does that not getting intertwined work for them? No doubt, involving oneself in paganism makes a pagan, but why dont Christian's believe this?

If you change Gods holy days, you have changed religions.

Old 07-10-2021, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, I guess that's a pretty good way of keeping the flock in line. No opportunity to stray by even observing how others worship.
Jehovah does not allow divisions. The Congregation must be kept clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity