Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 07:56 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am confused. Jesus was talking about his nemeses, the local religious leaders, in that passage, not Christian church leaders. He was playing a game there. He was telling them to do what they say to do according to the (Jewish) law, but not to do what they actually do.
There is a lot conveyed in these two verses.
Jesus was affirming that the despite the corruption of those sitting in Moses chair, what they taught had to be observed and practiced.
If the teaching of those in Moses chair was invalid - could Jesus have been able to fulfill it and offer a new covenant?

Last edited by CCCyou; 02-19-2023 at 08:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2023, 09:11 PM

88,620 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Jesus was affirming that the despite the corruption of those sitting in Moses chair, what they taught had to be observed and practiced.
If the teaching of those in Moses chair was invalid - could Jesus have been able to fulfill it and offer a new covenant?
OK, that is a different take from what is apparent there on the surface.

First of all, Jesus does not say what they are teaching is invalid. He is saying that they say one thing and do another. He does not further indicate that he is talking about a new covenant or the future church. It seems clear he is pointing them away from the current hypocrisy, especially when you go on to verses 3 and 4.

I am not sure how we get from what is says in that 2nd verse to what you say in your second sentence above. Can you tell us how you make that connection?

Old 02-19-2023, 10:10 PM

63,841 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
::Sigh:: The Mosaic Laws had a PURPOSE. They were designed to produce human beings who were the kind of person Jesus eventually demonstrated to them. The laws had failed because they were superficially interpreted as OBEDIENCE to commands NOT the deeper principle about what kind of person they were supposed to be. The failure of the laws is why Jesus was necessary as a HUMAN to show them what the laws were supposed to produce.

Jesus had to grow up as they did and become the kind of human the laws were supposed to produce. That is how He fulfilled them and that is why God the Father was pleased with Him. He needed to BECOME AS A HUMAN what God wanted from humans, why else would God have been pleased with Him?

Old 02-20-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:
OK, that is a different take from what is apparent there on the surface.

First of all, Jesus does not say what they are teaching is invalid. He is saying that they say one thing and do another. He does not further indicate that he is talking about a new covenant or the future church. It seems clear he is pointing them away from the current hypocrisy, especially when you go on to verses 3 and 4.

I am not sure how we get from what is says in that 2nd verse to what you say in your second sentence above. Can you tell us how you make that connection?
The point being is that corruption in the hierarchy doesn't invalidate the teachings or offices that the Lord establishes. Jesus affirms this in Matthew 23:3

I brought this up as a counter to your statement in post#745 ; "It broke itself off when it got into bed with secular power structures and took on the practices of those power structures. It did make an effort to right itself after the Reformation, but it was too little too late."

The office, authority, and teaching our Lord establishes thru it stands by Jesus authority - and not by any that any man , as demonstrated in scripture by our Lord here (and at Isaiah 22).
Our Lord gave no authority to any so-called 'reformer' to terminate or change what HE established.

Old 02-20-2023, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
::Sigh:: The Mosaic Laws had a PURPOSE. They were designed to produce human beings who were the kind of person Jesus eventually demonstrated to them. The laws had failed because they were superficially interpreted as OBEDIENCE to commands NOT the deeper principle about what kind of person they were supposed to be. The failure of the laws is why Jesus was necessary as a HUMAN to show them what the laws were supposed to produce.

Jesus had to grow up as they did and become the kind of human the laws were supposed to produce. That is how He fulfilled them and that is why God the Father was pleased with Him. He needed to BECOME AS A HUMAN what God wanted from humans, why else would God have been pleased with Him?
Yes, I agree; however it wasn't the law that failed it was man's inability to keep it lovingly.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:50 AM

88,620 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
The point being is that corruption in the hierarchy doesn't invalidate the teachings or offices that the Lord establishes. Jesus affirms this in Matthew 23:3

I brought this up as a counter to your statement in post#745 ; "It broke itself off when it got into bed with secular power structures and took on the practices of those power structures. It did make an effort to right itself after the Reformation, but it was too little too late."

The office, authority, and teaching our Lord establishes thru it stands by Jesus authority - and not by any that any man , as demonstrated in scripture by our Lord here (and at Isaiah 22).
Our Lord gave no authority to any so-called 'reformer' to terminate or change what HE established.
Ah, OK, now I see where you were trying to go with that. Thanks for clarifying. I was never Catholic, so I don't always have the default Catholic perspective of "This is the church that Jesus started!" at the forefront of my mind. It can be startling to those of us raised in other Christian traditions how strong that mindset is in a devout Catholic person.

Old 02-20-2023, 10:49 AM

1,812 posts, read 903,193 times
Quote:
Ah, OK, now I see where you were trying to go with that. Thanks for clarifying. I was never Catholic, so I don't always have the default Catholic perspective of "This is the church that Jesus started!" at the forefront of my mind. It can be startling to those of us raised in other Christian traditions how strong that mindset is in a devout Catholic person.
Catholic, Mormon, Jehovahs Witness, Seventh Day Adventist, etc, all have the same mindset. Theirs is either the church they claim Jesus started or they are the church that Jesus choose to restore his gospel here on earth. It’s either their way or the highway. If you don’t bend your knee to their will you aren’t getting a heavenly reward. It’s some strong koolaid they’ve drank.

Old 02-20-2023, 11:08 AM

1,341 posts, read 657,910 times
Quote:

You never responded to my statement. How do we listen to church leaders who say how THEIR faith and teachings are the CORRECT ones to follow and all other faiths and teachings are wrong?

Old 02-20-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
You never responded to my statement. How do we listen to church leaders who say how THEIR faith and teachings are the CORRECT ones to follow and all other faiths and teachings are wrong?
I did in post #770 - but since you seem unfamiliar with the old and new covenant and the scriptures,
I'll answer the same as Jesus did in Matthew 23:2 & Mat 16:18-19 - listen to those who have taken their seat on the chair of Petros!

Old 02-20-2023, 11:38 AM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Catholic, Mormon, Jehovahs Witness, Seventh Day Adventist, etc, all have the same mindset. Theirs is either the church they claim Jesus started or they are the church that Jesus choose to restore his gospel here on earth. It’s either their way or the highway. If you don’t bend your knee to their will you aren’t getting a heavenly reward. It’s some strong koolaid they’ve drank.
That’s true
But that is part of the design, human bias is natural and has to do with the differentiation of the part, the portion, the administration, the responsibility for their own type and share

1 Corinthians 12 explains about Christianity as a whole being divided into Body parts or members

I think this should be read in conjunction with this

Joh 14:1**Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
Joh 14:2**In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
Joh 14:3**And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

The members of Christs Body are the congregations that gather together in His name

What has been happening since the Reformation is the separation of the many different members into separate dwelling places/abodes suitable to their own portion and mindset

Last edited by Meerkat2; 02-20-2023 at 12:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity