Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2023, 02:04 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I'm not making it complicated at all. It's very simple. We call the Church "Catholic" because the word "catholic" means "universal". The Catholic Church is the Church of Jesus and God's Church.

I'm sorry you don't like the name "Catholic". You can blame the early Greek-speaking Christians for that.

So if the Catholic Church is not the same church founded by Christ, which ecclesiastical body did the Catholic Church break away from?
No one said it broke away. It formed from the original communal churches of early Christianity in a specific place--Rome--and entwined itself with the culture and power structure of that place. Before that, or while that was happening, there were also churches established in places like Syria and India and northern Africa over which Rome had no influence, but because they weren't part of that large empire, they didn't grow as big or extend as far.

Old 02-17-2023, 02:07 PM

1,339 posts, read 652,035 times
Quote:
I'm not making it complicated at all. It's very simple. We call the Church "Catholic" because the word "catholic" means "universal". The Catholic Church is the Church of Jesus and God's Church.

I'm sorry you don't like the name "Catholic". You can blame the early Greek-speaking Christians for that.

So if the Catholic Church is not the same church founded by Christ, which ecclesiastical body did the Catholic Church break away from?
Lets not sugarcoat things. There is a difference between "catholic" and "Catholic". Uppercase vs lowercase. Lets not pretend like they are the same thing because....they aren't.

The Church was founded by Christ then some religious leader (online articles say Saint Ignatius of Antioch) started saying "Catholic Church" and I guess people liked it.

So no, the church did not break away from anything. It wasn't even founded by anybody. It was started by Saint Ignatius of Antioch and religious leaders after him started saying "the Catholic Church was founded by Jesus". If the church wanted to differentiate itself, it should have called itself "Church of St. Ignatius" or "Church of Antioch". Don't ruin the word "catholic". It isn't universal if the church has priests that blocks those who disagree with it from consuming the body of Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2023, 02:10 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No one said it broke away. It formed from the original communal churches of early Christianity in a specific place--Rome--and entwined itself with the culture and power structure of that place. Before that, or while that was happening, there were also churches established in places like Syria and India and northern Africa over which Rome had no influence, but because they weren't part of that large empire, they didn't grow as big or extend as far.
It has nothing to do with Roman influence, but about communion.

There is One Church, One Communion of believers.

When did the Catholic Church break off or distinguish itself from this One Communion?

Old 02-17-2023, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
So no, the church did not break away from anything. It wasn't even founded by anybody. It was started by Saint Ignatius of Antioch and religious leaders after him started saying "the Catholic Church was founded by Jesus". If the church wanted to differentiate itself, it should have called itself "Church of St. Ignatius" or "Church of Antioch".
Isn't the bolded strong evidence or even proof that the Church as described by St. Ignatius is the One Church founded by Christ?

Quote:
Don't ruin the word "catholic". It isn't universal if the church has priests that blocks those who disagree with it from consuming the body of Christ.
Communion is real. The Church is substantive and not just ethereal. Truth matters. You seem to disagree with all three of these presuppositions.

Old 02-17-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Lets not sugarcoat things. There is a difference between "catholic" and "Catholic". Uppercase vs lowercase. Lets not pretend like they are the same thing because....they aren't.
We already had this discussion many pages ago

I guess you dismiss what I said back then outright?

Old 02-17-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Isn't the bolded strong evidence or even proof that the Church as described by St. Ignatius is the One Church founded by Christ?

Communion is real. The Church is substantive and not just ethereal. Truth matters. You seem to disagree with all three of these presuppositions.
nope. Is there evidence that Jesus approves what St. Ignatius did? Catholics approve it. Does Jesus approve it?

Quote:
We already had this discussion many pages ago

I guess you dismiss what I said back then outright?
Yes, you said this:

Quote:
The Church in this day and age is both catholic and Catholic. We are forced to use the capital-C in order to distinguish the True Church from the many sects who claim to be part of the "church catholic", but in fact are not.
Yes, I know your opinion on this. You believe that the day St. Ignatious proclaimed the Church as Catholic, it was the "True Church". No questions asked. I personally disagree.

Old 02-17-2023, 02:27 PM

Quote:
nope. Is there evidence that Jesus approves what St. Ignatius did? Catholics approve it. Does Jesus approve it?
Ignatius was the bishop of Antioch. He was a part of the hierarchy of the Church. There is only One Church. Ignatius was either a part of the hierarchy of the True Church or of a false sect. By this line of questioning, you seem to be suggesting - whether you intend to or not - that he belonged to a false sect.

Quote:
You believe that the day St. Ignatious proclaimed the Church as Catholic, it was the "True Church". No questions asked. I personally disagree.
No, that's not how it works. Ignatius didn't "proclaim" anything. He was an actual ordained bishop in the One, True Church of Jesus Christ, which he referred to as "catholic", meaning "universal".

Old 02-17-2023, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Ignatius was the bishop of Antioch. He was a part of the hierarchy of the Church. There is only One Church. Ignatius was either a part of the hierarchy of the True Church or of a false sect. By this line of questioning, you seem to be suggesting - whether you intend to or not - that he belonged to a false sect.

No, that's not how it works. Ignatius didn't "proclaim" anything. He was an actual ordained bishop in the One, True Church of Jesus Christ, which he referred to as "catholic", meaning "universal".
I'll reiterate my opinion again and lets agree to disagree for the time being. You believe, without question, that the Catholic Church (with a capital C) IS "The True Church". I disagree with this. I do not believe there is such a a thing as "the true church" nor do I believe that Jesus founded the Catholic Church. I believe he founded a church with no denominations or religions attached.

Old 02-17-2023, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I do not believe there is such a a thing as "the true church"
Then what do you make of Jesus' statements and promises regarding the church? And this seems to contradict your next quote:

Quote:
I believe he founded a church with no denominations or religions attached.
This I would agree with. The question is: where and what is it?

Old 02-17-2023, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Then what do you make of Jesus' statements and promises regarding the church? And this seems to contradict your next quote:

This I would agree with. The question is: where and what is it?
Educate me. What statements and promises did he make? And I mean that in a respectful way. I would like to learn

I have no idea what the church is. As humans living after Jesus ascended to heaven and all of his disciples dead and in heaven, we try our hardest to define WHAT the church is and our decisions so far has divided us massively instead of uniting us. As far as WHERE the church is, I have no idea. Based on a quick glance, this is a discussion in which people argue and dispute each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity