Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2023, 07:38 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Until you can read and study the Word without having an ingrained Catholic bias you’ll never know the truth.
But it's okay to read and study the Word with an ingrained Protestant bias?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2023, 08:46 AM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Until you can read and study the Word without having an ingrained Catholic bias you’ll never know the truth.
That's a discussion you need to have with Scott Hahn, Jeff Cavins, Marcus Grodi, or Keith Nester !

Old 02-13-2023, 12:49 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
But it's okay to read and study the Word with an ingrained Protestant bias?
The only acceptable bias is a Jesus bias using the "mind of Christ"!

Old 02-13-2023, 03:38 PM

444 posts, read 113,092 times
Quote:
Why go to a doctor when you're sick? Why hire a plumber to fix your pipes? What kind of question is this? When we want a solution, we go to the experts.

Just because you do that, it doesn't mean that everyone does.
Which experts do you go to. There are all kinds of flavors. Do you go to protestant experts? I assume you have at least read what they say and I’m sure you reject it, but why.

Quote:
Nobody is "denying what is written". We're all using the same text. The fact is that the text does not mean what you think it means. You are not more enlightened than 1500+ years of Christian understanding. The Faith is much bigger than you and your understanding.
My argument is that what is written is truth and what is not written is not truth.
We know with 100% certainty that the husband of 1 wife with believing children is qualified to be an elder and it’s absolute truth because that is Paul’s instructions. Paul does not give instructions about the "what if" single person. When we get off into the realm of what if, how do you determine what is truth and what is perversion?

"What if" a righteous women wants to become an elder?

Quote:
It's not irrelevant at all. He must be *the husband of one wife*. That means if his wife dies, he may not remarry.
Could it possibly mean he can't have 2 wives at the same time? That is what I personally believe he is talking about.

Quote:
Would you then say that a married man who has no children is disqualified from the ministry?
What are the qualifications for a minister?

Old 02-13-2023, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosixx View Post
Which experts do you go to. There are all kinds of flavors. Do you go to protestant experts? I assume you have at least read what they say and I’m sure you reject it, but why.
The Church Fathers and the Saints are reliable sources.

Quote:
Could it possibly mean he can't have 2 wives at the same time? That is what I personally believe he is talking about.
But this would not need to be said as it is obvious. There is no allowance for polygamy in the Christian conception of marriage.

Quote:
What are the qualifications for a minister?
I meant the ministry in question - that of "overseer" as described in 1 Timothy 3. Would you permit a married but childless man to pursue the office?

Old 02-13-2023, 04:21 PM

492 posts, read 145,367 times
Quote:
Why go to humans when you have access to God himself through his son, Jesus Christ, the livng word.
The Catholic Church makes all sorts of folks Saints. How many of the Popes themselves were beautified and made Saints?

In Catholic Seminaries they study more Greek philosophy than they do scriptures.

I was raised Catholic, been to many man made religious Institutions and various churches. The Catholic Church like many others profess to be the One true Church. It seems like you are trying to defend this. The one true Church of Christ does not need to be defended. It speaks for itself.

The entire purpose of all biblical doctrines is to manifest Righteous, Holy and Loving Characteristics in the persons lifestyle. This needs no defense from anyone. After all the quality of the Church is what type of folks does it produce?

Are they Loving, righteous and Holy? If so then it is a success. The problem I see is that only a very small few have any of these characteristics. I mean very few.

One of the main reasons I read my bible through many times, was because I became very tired of Pastors and Priests making things up and lieing to me.

Now I go right to God with my problems not to a priest or Pastor. They are not really experts as you think they are. Some do not even really care at all or believe.

Last edited by mensaguy; 02-14-2023 at 04:27 AM.. Reason: Replaced missing quote

Old 02-13-2023, 05:46 PM

444 posts, read 113,092 times
Quote:

But this would not need to be said as it is obvious. There is no allowance for polygamy in the Christian conception of marriage.

I meant the ministry in question - that of "overseer" as described in 1 Timothy 3. Would you permit a married but childless man to pursue the office?
You didn't address my question, what if a righteous women desires to be an elder?

Old 02-13-2023, 06:19 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkintheLight View Post
How many of the Popes themselves were beautified and made Saints?
A total of 83 out of 265 deceased popes. Serving as a pope/bishop/bishop/deacon is no guarantee of being recognized as a Saint.

Old 02-13-2023, 07:33 PM

Quote:
You didn't address my question, what if a righteous women desires to be an elder?
How is this relevant? Of course a woman cannot serve as a priest or overseer. There is no provision for that, and it's not ontologically possible.

Old 02-13-2023, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkintheLight View Post
Why go to humans when you have access to God himself through his son, Jesus Christ, the livng word.
The Catholic Church makes all sorts of folks Saints. How many of the Popes themselves were beautified and made Saints?

In Catholic Seminaries they study more Greek philosophy than they do scriptures.

I was raised Catholic, been to many man made religious Institutions and various churches. The Catholic Church like many others profess to be the One true Church. It seems like you are trying to defend this. The one true Church of Christ does not need to be defended. It speaks for itself.

The entire purpose of all biblical doctrines is to manifest Righteous, Holy and Loving Characteristics in the persons lifestyle. This needs no defense from anyone. After all the quality of the Church is what type of folks does it produce?

Are they Loving, righteous and Holy? If so then it is a success. The problem I see is that only a very small few have any of these characteristics. I mean very few.

One of the main reasons I read my bible through many times, was because I became very tired of Pastors and Priests making things up and lieing to me.

Now I go right to God with my problems not to a priest or Pastor. They are not really experts as you think they are. Some do not even really care at all or believe.
The number of Catholic Saints speaks for itself. Study their lives. They are examples of holiness for us. Of course there are also bad Catholics.

I don't see a need to defend the "expertise" of every individual priest or teacher. Of course there are false shepherds, wolves in sheep's clothing. There are also Priests and teachers who mean well but are ignorant about many things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity