Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 11:53 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
That’s true
But that is part of the design, human bias id natural and has to do with the differentiation of the part, the portion, the administration, the responsibility for their own type and share

1 Corinthians 12 explains about Christianity as a whole being divided into Body parts or members

I think this should be read in conjunction with this

Joh 14:1**Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
Joh 14:2**In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
Joh 14:3**And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

The members of Christs Body are the congregations that gather together in His name

What has been happening since the Reformation is the separation of the many different members into separate dwelling places/abodes suitable to their own portion and mindset
And to everybody who is not Roman Catholic, that is what the Catholic Church was doing and why there was a need for a Reformation in the first place!

And round and round it goes.

Old 02-20-2023, 01:02 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,692,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And to everybody who is not Roman Catholic, that is what the Catholic Church was doing and why there was a need for a Reformation in the first place!

And round and round it goes.
I’m just free thinking here but yes that reformation was very much needed because of the over focus on the organisational/structural at the expense of the individuals within and under their care

And the main problem is in not understanding the Holy Scriptures are prophetic not historic about a specific 2000 year period

There is an organisational/system problem in recognising what is inner and outer, what is greater and lesser, and the confusion between how these things relate to each other now as opposed to how they should be relating and communicating with and to each other

What I see is 3 defined periods set out in the past 2000 years regarding Christianity

500 years separating heresy/orthodoxy which is pre the 1000 year reign of the RCC which lorded itself over the multitudes

The past 500 years are where those multitudes have been disbursed and then are gathered together like with like under their own separate ‘heads’ and the way it’s done is via the different doctrines and religious observances given to each part

Individual living intellectual emotional persons are within the dead organisational structures

This is why Paul says that there is neither Jew/Greek, bond/free, male/female because those relate to the organisational types which are ‘dead’ and relates to the inanimate

How can the dead bury the dead? Luke 9:60 They are buried within the various organisations ‘sleeping’ in peace until ‘the resurrection’
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2023, 08:09 PM

63,795 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
I did in post #770 - but since you seem unfamiliar with the old and new covenant and the scriptures,
I'll answer the same as Jesus did in Matthew 23:2 & Mat 16:18-19 - listen to those who have taken their seat on the chair of Petros!
Wrong. Listen to the one who is the original and ONLY rock or foundation stone on which the ecclesia of Christ is based - Jesus the Christ. Learn the "mind of Christ" if you wish to know the "mind of God." It is not hard to do when you are in one or more of the states of mind associated with God's Holy Spirit of agape love as Jesus revealed and demonstrated it.

Old 02-21-2023, 05:34 AM

444 posts, read 112,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
I did in post #770 - but since you seem unfamiliar with the old and new covenant and the scriptures,
I'll answer the same as Jesus did in Matthew 23:2 & Mat 16:18-19 - listen to those who have taken their seat on the chair of Petros!
Peter still occupies his chair. He teaches me all the time.

Old 02-21-2023, 07:18 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
Educate me. What statements and promises did he make? And I mean that in a respectful way. I would like to learn
The most profound example is from Matthew 16 when Jesus promises to build His Church; and He promises that the gates of hell will never prevail against it. He then gives Peter the keys to the kingdom with the power of binding and loosing.

Quote:
I have no idea what the church is. As humans living after Jesus ascended to heaven and all of his disciples dead and in heaven, we try our hardest to define WHAT the church is and our decisions so far has divided us massively instead of uniting us. As far as WHERE the church is, I have no idea. Based on a quick glance, this is a discussion in which people argue and dispute each other.
Does the bolded bother you? Do you think Jesus intended for His Church to be hidden and enigmatic?

Old 02-21-2023, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkintheLight View Post
Ordination of the man made Religion of Catholicism.
We see many examples in Scripture of the laying on of hands. Timothy, for example, we know was ordained through the laying on of hands (1 Timothy 4:14).

Quote:
Why does Catholic doctrine not allow priests to marry? The Apostle Peter was married, your so called first Pope. Even though Paul was the first Apostle in Rome and wrote the epistle to the Romans. Peter showed up in Rome after Paul.
Priestly celibacy is not a doctrinal issue, but a practical one. There are many married Catholic priests, especially in the Eastern rites.

Quote:
However it is not the one True Church as it claims.
When did the Catholic Church lose its status as the one True Church; and how do you square that with Christ's promise in Matthew 16 that the gates of hell would never prevail against His Church?

Old 02-21-2023, 07:38 AM

1,339 posts, read 652,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
The most profound example is from Matthew 16 when Jesus promises to build His Church; and He promises that the gates of hell will never prevail against it. He then gives Peter the keys to the kingdom with the power of binding and loosing.

Does the bolded bother you? Do you think Jesus intended for His Church to be hidden and enigmatic?
I've asked you before that if Jesus stood next to you in physical human form and you asked him if the Church HE built was Catholic, Jesus would agree and say "yes". You genuinely believe Jesus would agree that the Catholic Church is the Church He founded. You 100% agree that every rule, every tradition, every prayer, everything the Catholic Church does is something Jesus would agree to. You agree that prohibiting communion from non-Catholics is something Jesus would agree to. You agree that praying to statues is something Jesus would agree to. You agree that only church leaders can drink the wine (Blood of Christ) is something Jesus would agree to.

Old 02-21-2023, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I've asked you before that if Jesus stood next to you in physical human form and you asked him if the Church HE built was Catholic, Jesus would agree and say "yes". You genuinely believe Jesus would agree that the Catholic Church is the Church He founded.
Yes, of course. I wouldn't be a Catholic if I didn't believe that.

Quote:
You 100% agree that every rule, every tradition, every prayer, everything the Catholic Church does is something Jesus would agree to.
No, of course not.

Quote:
You agree that prohibiting communion from non-Catholics is something Jesus would agree to.
Yes, of course. 1 Corinthians 11 is clear on this, particularly verse 27: "Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord."

Quote:
You agree that praying to statues is something Jesus would agree to.
Of course not, because we don't pray to statues.

Quote:
You agree that only church leaders can drink the wine (Blood of Christ) is something Jesus would agree to.
This is not a universal practice in the Church; but I don't think Jesus objects to the formerly normative practice in the Latin Rite of withholding the cup from the laity.

Old 02-21-2023, 09:31 AM

1,339 posts, read 652,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Yes, of course. I wouldn't be a Catholic if I didn't believe that.

No, of course not.

Yes, of course. 1 Corinthians 11 is clear on this, particularly verse 27: "Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord."

Of course not, because we don't pray to statues.

This is not a universal practice in the Church; but I don't think Jesus objects to the formerly normative practice in the Latin Rite of withholding the cup from the laity.

Gotcha. We have some disagreements then.

I've read 1 Corinthians 11. Multiple denominations have different opinions on it. My opinion is that it does NOT prevent ANYONE from being rejected from partaking in the Body and Blood of Christ. "Unworthy manner" is a term that has so many different interpretations. I personally believe it means do not eat the Body and Blood of Christ in a disrespectful manner meaning you share the Body and Blood of Christ with anyone who believes and accepts Christ. You don't just take the Body of Christ and eat it as though you are starving for food and then drink the Blood of Christ as though you are at a party gulping down wine. You pay respects towards it. Has nothing to do with denomination.

Regarding statues, yea.....I've seen so many Catholics kneel down to a statue and say prayers to it... not all Catholics to it, but many do. They call it "veneration" or paying respects to it. I feel it is unnecessary. Scripture prohibits it.

Old 02-21-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I've read 1 Corinthians 11. Multiple denominations have different opinions on it. My opinion is that it does NOT prevent ANYONE from being rejected from partaking in the Body and Blood of Christ. "Unworthy manner" is a term that has so many different interpretations. I personally believe it means do not eat the Body and Blood of Christ in a disrespectful manner meaning you share the Body and Blood of Christ with anyone who believes and accepts Christ. You don't just take the Body of Christ and eat it as though you are starving for food and then drink the Blood of Christ as though you are at a party gulping down wine. You pay respects towards it. Has nothing to do with denomination.
For better insight, why not look and see what the early Church Fathers who learned directly from the Apostles believed; and how the early Church practiced?

Quote:
Regarding statues, yea.....I've seen so many Catholics kneel down to a statue and say prayers to it... not all Catholics to it, but many do. They call it "veneration" or paying respects to it. I feel it is unnecessary. Scripture prohibits it.
We do indeed kneel in front of statues or images and pray. This doesn't mean we're praying to the statue or the image. What it means is that onlookers don't know what they're witnessing, so they jump to unreasonable conclusions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity