Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2023, 02:56 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
At one parish I used to attend regularly, the cantor would give a general welcome before Mass saying something to the effect of we're glad you're here, but please do not come up to receive Communion if you are not Catholic and properly disposed.
I know people who do, but I always respected those wishes when I was in a Catholic Church. When I worked on the WTC rebuilding, I could easily walk to Trinity Wall Street, which is Episcopal, for noontime mass, but sometimes I went with my 9/11 escape-mate, who is Catholic, to St. Peter's. Beautiful church, very light inside.

https://spcolr.org/

They will have a service there on 2/26 for the 30th anniversary of the WTC bombing. I wish I could go.

Old 02-16-2023, 02:59 PM

13,619 posts, read 7,932,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know people who do, but I always respected those wishes when I was in a Catholic Church. When I worked on the WTC rebuilding, I could easily walk to Trinity Wall Street, which is Episcopal, for noontime mass, but sometimes I went with my 9/11 escape-mate, who is Catholic, to St. Peter's. Beautiful church, very light inside.

https://spcolr.org/

They will have a service there on 2/26 for the 30th anniversary of the WTC bombing. I wish I could go.
That is a beautiful church!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2023, 03:31 PM

1,341 posts, read 654,531 times
Quote:
At one parish I used to attend regularly, the cantor would give a general welcome before Mass saying something to the effect of we're glad you're here, but please do not come up to receive Communion if you are not Catholic and properly disposed.
I've been to one Catholic church where the priest knew I was not Catholic and refused to give me communion. Gave me a blessing instead. My wife got married in that church because that is where my parents lived (her parents passed away years ago). I never went to that church ever again because in my mind, refusing to give someone the body of Christ if they are a believer in Christ is the exact opposite of what Jesus preached.

But other than that specific Catholic church, all other churches never said those words. One church I go to a lot says "if you cannot receive the body of Christ for any reason, you may come up for a blessing". In other words, they empowered you with the choice to either receive the body of Christ or a blessing.

Old 02-16-2023, 03:35 PM

13,619 posts, read 7,932,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
I've been to one Catholic church where the priest knew I was not Catholic and refused to give me communion. Gave me a blessing instead. My wife got married in that church because that is where my parents lived (her parents passed away years ago). I never went to that church ever again because in my mind, refusing to give someone the body of Christ if they are a believer in Christ is the exact opposite of what Jesus preached.

But other than that specific Catholic church, all other churches never said those words. One church I go to a lot says "if you cannot receive the body of Christ for any reason, you may come up for a blessing". In other words, they empowered you with the choice to either receive the body of Christ or a blessing.
If you aren't Catholic, why would you want to receive Communion in a Catholic Church?

Also, I suppose you missed my earlier question from Post #704 which is more germane to this thread:

We all know that the Church of England denominated itself directly from the Catholic Church when Henry VIII made himself the head of the church there.

From which body did the Catholic Church 'denominate' itself, and when?

Old 02-16-2023, 04:02 PM

Quote:
If you aren't Catholic, why would you want to receive Communion in a Catholic Church?

Also, I suppose you missed my earlier question from Post #704 which is more germane to this thread:

We all know that the Church of England denominated itself directly from the Catholic Church when Henry VIII made himself the head of the church there.

My belief: I do not see the Catholic Church as "Catholic" just like I do not see a Lutheran church as "Lutheran" or a Baptist church as "Baptist".

I mean yea sure, if I drive by a Lutheran church, I'll say "hey, it's a Lutheran church" because that is what it is labeled and identified. But I will walk into the church as a Christian, not as a Lutheran.

When Jesus founded the church and made Peter the leader, He called it a "church" with no labeling. Jesus did not label the church He founded. We did that. I choose to follow the name that Jesus gave the church which is "church". He did not call it a Catholic church or a Lutheran church or a Mormon church or whatever.

I will receive communion wherever Christians give it. Simple as that. Jesus is the leader I follow. It is His rules that I follow, not all these rules that religious leaders make up to satisfy their denomination. If a religious leader refuses to give me a communion, I won't go to that church anymore. I will have to admit though....just to make life simpler, I've been looking into figuring out if there is a church whose beliefs align with mine and who doesn't have any denominational rules.

As far as the Church of England, yes, it broke from the Catholic Church and became protestant. The Catholic Church is a "branch" of the Christian faith. Christianity is a religion. Anything underneath it is a branch or denomination.

Old 02-16-2023, 04:14 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:

Are you trying to find some rare definition of the word denomination and try to make it mainstream?

All of the usual dictionary web sites have something like this has the primary definition: a recognized autonomous branch of the Christian Church.

Of course, they also include definitions that cover classifying and valuing things like money, but only the definition relevant to religion would be useful here.

You can find these definitions here: https://www.google.com/search?q=deno...0KHGirxTcnUsB7

Are you trying to use that word as a verb? That's odd.

Old 02-16-2023, 04:32 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,696,783 times
Quote:
My belief: I do not see the Catholic Church as "Catholic" just like I do not see a Lutheran church as "Lutheran" or a Baptist church as "Baptist".

I mean yea sure, if I drive by a Lutheran church, I'll say "hey, it's a Lutheran church" because that is what it is labeled and identified. But I will walk into the church as a Christian, not as a Lutheran.

When Jesus founded the church and made Peter the leader, He called it a "church" with no labeling. Jesus did not label the church He founded. We did that. I choose to follow the name that Jesus gave the church which is "church". He did not call it a Catholic church or a Lutheran church or a Mormon church or whatever.

I will receive communion wherever Christians give it. Simple as that. Jesus is the leader I follow. It is His rules that I follow, not all these rules that religious leaders make up to satisfy their denomination. If a religious leader refuses to give me a communion, I won't go to that church anymore. I will have to admit though....just to make life simpler, I've been looking into figuring out if there is a church whose beliefs align with mine and who doesn't have any denominational rules.

As far as the Church of England, yes, it broke from the Catholic Church and became protestant. The Catholic Church is a "branch" of the Christian faith. Christianity is a religion. Anything underneath it is a branch or denomination.
From what you are expressing you will not find an assembly that thinks/believes exactly like you as you are doing what Jesus said his disciples would do

At their own personal time of visitation they would depart the religious organisation

You have definitely done that

Once departed the instruction is to not look back and not to worry about the earthly cyclic things ‘down here’ what we will eat, I think symbolically that means what we will read and where and who we will communicate it to after processing the information

Mat 6:24**No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
Do Not Be Anxious
Mat 6:25**Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
Mat 6:26**Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

There is a religious pattern that was to happen based on being indoctrinated under parents/teachers, then we grow up and most to find a partner to settle down with and produce more children to perpetuate that generational cycle

Old 02-16-2023, 05:57 PM

3,825 posts, read 1,382,111 times
Quote:

Do you believe that Christ is truly present in the Eucharist you receive at the Catholic church?

Old 02-16-2023, 07:41 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:

That's not what it means. (I did not even think "denominate" was a word, but it is. Means a formal name.)

Def of denomination:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/...h/denomination

Old 02-16-2023, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
From what you are expressing you will not find an assembly that thinks/believes exactly like you as you are doing what Jesus said his disciples would do

At their own personal time of visitation they would depart the religious organisation

You have definitely done that

Once departed the instruction is to not look back and not to worry about the earthly cyclic things ‘down here’ what we will eat, I think symbolically that means what we will read and where and who we will communicate it to after processing the information

Mat 6:24**No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
Do Not Be Anxious
Mat 6:25**Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
Mat 6:26**Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

There is a religious pattern that was to happen based on being indoctrinated under parents/teachers, then we grow up and most to find a partner to settle down with and produce more children to perpetuate that generational cycle
Thank you. Yes, I am a big believer in the idea of "discipleship", which for me has a simple meaning: follow Jesus and do as he would do. Those who follow him are called disciples of Jesus or what we now call "Christians". Not Catholics, not Lutherans, not Methodists, etc. We made up all these labels and made Christianity so damn complicated and now we're all divided.

There are non-denominational churches that I find interesting but I've never been to one. That is the closest group of people I know that does not follow traditional denominational rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Do you believe that Christ is truly present in the Eucharist you receive at the Catholic church?
What does "truly present" mean? Catholics believe that you must agree to THEIR beliefs in order to receive the body of Christ in THEIR church. According to them, the wafer turns into the actual Body of Christ with only the substance of the wafer remaining. My personal belief: when I am consuming the wafer/bread, I am making a connection with Jesus spiritually and am remembering the sacrifice He made for me. I am becoming "one with Him" as the statement goes. It's a very simple belief. No need to complicate it. Jesus told his disciplines to eat the bread in remembrance of him. I do just that. In regard to the Catholic belief, I agree to the belief that Jesus is my savior which is a Christian belief. That is all Jesus asks. The church is not the Catholic church. It is Jesus's church. Its is the church for His followers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity