Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2023, 02:41 PM

444 posts, read 113,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Giving a sexual deviant a wife does not cure his sexual deviance. If a priest is willing to have sex outside marriage, then what good is giving him a wife? He has already had sex outside marriage, and he'll do it again if he is unrepentant.
Maybe I worded it badly. Many of the priest sex stories that have come out are of them forcing themselves on someone. I call that sexual abuse. Forcing priest into a life of celibacy while they still have sexual urges forces them to attack the vulnerable. It's sad to me because they don't have to be forced into celibacy and as I have presented. They should be married.

As I said, my wife was Catholic. My mother-in-law finally left the "church" because she didn't agree, and rightly so, with the way the RCC handles priest that are sexual predators. They just move them. I'm sure this has been going on for centuries.

Is that really how Christ's church would operate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2023, 02:43 PM

63,843 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosixx View Post
Do you view this as a requirement or is optional as well?
6 He must not be a recent convert, or he may become puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil.
Amazing how this description reminds me of someone who converted to Catholicism.

Old 02-10-2023, 02:52 PM

13,627 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
How would you go about identifying Christ's church?

Are we to judge an organization based on the worst behavior of its worst members?

Or would it make more sense to judge an organization based on the behavior of its best members?

Old 02-10-2023, 03:06 PM

Quote:
None of these things are "optional". You have totally missed the point. It is a requirement that an overseer must be the husband of one wife. That means that if he is married and his wife dies, he may not remarry. It does not mean that he must be married. Which brings up another problem with your view. If a clergyman's wife dies, is he required to re-marry if he wants to continue in the ministry?
May I suggest you have missed the point and your RCC filter is what makes my view seem novel. Imagine taking communion and it not being unleavened bread and fruit of the vine. Why is it those things, because that is what we are told to use, everything else is excluded. Husband of one wife disqualifies the unmarried. Why because for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God's church?

Quote:
You're reading the passage in such a strange, novel way. Who else reads it with your interpretation? Which teachers or theologians do you appeal to?
I read the bible mostly. It's not that hard to understand.

Quote:
Oh really? Where was the Church hiding then?
Hiding from the RCC or they would have been killed. The RCC has killed many who have opposed them for many years. Thankfully not anymore.

Last edited by turbosixx; 02-10-2023 at 03:17 PM..

Old 02-10-2023, 03:06 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,795,410 times
Quote:
Maybe I worded it badly. Many of the priest sex stories that have come out are of them forcing themselves on someone. I call that sexual abuse. Forcing priest into a life of celibacy while they still have sexual urges forces them to attack the vulnerable. It's sad to me because they don't have to be forced into celibacy and as I have presented. They should be married.

As I said, my wife was Catholic. My mother-in-law finally left the "church" because she didn't agree, and rightly so, with the way the RCC handles priest that are sexual predators. They just move them. I'm sure this has been going on for centuries.

Again, not true. Those who become priests know ahead of time that celibacy is part of the 'deal' (in MOST cases).

It's like, volunteering for the military. If you volunteer for certain military specializations, you'll be expected to pick up a gun. You know this ahead of time. It's actually like that for just about any organization. If I go to work for McDonald's, I'd be expected to show up to work on time. I'm not being "forced" to show up on time.

Part of being a Christian is obedience. Jesus stresses this quite often.

Old 02-10-2023, 03:12 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,795,410 times
Quote:
May I suggest you have missed the point and your RCC filter is what makes my view seem novel. Imagine taking communion and it not being unleavened bread and fruit of the vine. Why is it those things, because that is what we are told to use, everything else is excluded. Husband of one wife disqualifies the unmarried. Why because for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God's church?
*I* am a household of ONE. I'm single. Live alone. And yet, I can render my house unmanageable if I don't do what needs be done. I still have to 'manage' my own house by vacuuming, dusting, doing the dishes, wiping off countertops, paying bills on time, etc.

I can also go a step farther, and wax a bit philosophical by saying that my 'household' is living in my own skin. I 'manage' it by eating properly, not overindulging, exercising, wearing modest clothing, etc.

Quote:
I read the bible mostly. It's not that hard to understand.
Not that easy, either.

Quote:
Hiding from the RCC or the would have been killed. The RCC has killed many who have opposed them for many years. Thankfully not anymore.
Can't single out the RCC.

Old 02-10-2023, 03:13 PM

Quote:
How would you go about identifying Christ's church?

Are we to judge an organization based on the worst behavior of its worst members?

Or would it make more sense to judge an organization based on the behavior of its best members?
Christ's church aligns with scripture. That's how I know.

The problem with the RCC, it's worst behavior is with it's leaders. They can't kill people like they used to but they continue to go against scripture.

Please do not be offended by what I say. I'm not being hateful just trying to challenge your thinking. I do appreciate you teaching me about the RCC.

Old 02-10-2023, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Again, not true. Those who become priests know ahead of time that celibacy is part of the 'deal' (in MOST cases).

It's like, volunteering for the military. If you volunteer for certain military specializations, you'll be expected to pick up a gun. You know this ahead of time. It's actually like that for just about any organization. If I go to work for McDonald's, I'd be expected to show up to work on time. I'm not being "forced" to show up on time.

Part of being a Christian is obedience. Jesus stresses this quite often.
Yet they are not obedient and have sex with the vulnerable. Instead of punishing them the RCC just moves them to somewhere else so they can start molesting anew.

Old 02-10-2023, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
*I* am a household of ONE. I'm single. Live alone. And yet, I can render my house unmanageable if I don't do what needs be done. I still have to 'manage' my own house by vacuuming, dusting, doing the dishes, wiping off countertops, paying bills on time, etc.

I can also go a step farther, and wax a bit philosophical by saying that my 'household' is living in my own skin. I 'manage' it by eating properly, not overindulging, exercising, wearing modest clothing, etc.

Not that easy, either.

Can't single out the RCC.
May I suggest you're not getting the point Paul is making. He's not talking about chores but managing people and guiding souls.
if anyone is above reproach, the husband of one wife, and his children are believers and not open to the charge of debauchery or insubordination.

I'm not aware of other "churches" killing "heretics". Not saying there isn't but the RCC is the winner in that category.

Old 02-10-2023, 03:25 PM

There are things the RCC holds to that I agree with. Sola scripture. One true church. One must be baptized to be saved. I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of now.

Enjoyed the discussion. Gotta go for now, be back tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity