Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2023, 08:03 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well..are you hanging out with a bunch of criminals and drug dealers or some new friends from your volunteer group ?

I belive that "church" happens outside of "Church"...it has to.
Other than my own immediate family, it's more often criminals and drug dealers. But I don't see how this answers my question. Maybe you could elaborate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2023, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosixx View Post
No need.
11 And He gave some as apostles, some as prophets, some as evangelists, some as pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the building up of the body of Christ;
No pope mentioned.
The pope is a bishop. Bishops are indeed mentioned.

Quote:
He did not establish the RCC, man did. Mostly to gain wealth and power.
Please explain. If not Christ Himself, then who founded the Catholic Church and when?

Old 02-10-2023, 10:14 AM

444 posts, read 113,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
The pope is a bishop. Bishops are indeed mentioned.
So based on what the bible says, what is a bishop?

Quote:
Please explain. If not Christ Himself, then who founded the Catholic Church and when?
Good question. Let me do a little research.

I've been a Christian for over 40 years and diligently for the past 28. I've never seen the catholic church in scripture. What little I do know of the RCC scripture contradicts.

When I met my wife I was excited that she was a Catholic. I was hoping she could teach me about the church but to my disappointment, she was just like every other Catholic I have met. They don't know the bible and barely know their church

Old 02-10-2023, 10:22 AM

Quote:
So based on what the bible says, what is a bishop?
An "overseer" or "pastor".

Quote:
Good question. Let me do a little research.

I've been a Christian for over 40 years and diligently for the past 28. I've never seen the catholic church in scripture. What little I do know of the RCC scripture contradicts.

When I met my wife I was excited that she was a Catholic. I was hoping she could teach me about the church but to my disappointment, she was just like every other Catholic I have met. They don't know the bible and barely know their church
I can relate. I grew up in the Bible belt with very few Catholics around. I never met a practicing Catholic until I went off to college. Up until then, I had no idea that Biblically-knowledgeable and well-read Catholics even existed. To my surprise, they do!

I've found that there are a lot of misconceptions about Catholicism, particularly in the US where Catholicism has always been perceived as something "other".

We believe that the Catholic Church is the Church that Christ founded with His Apostles. We can trace the lineage of bishops in history from today all the way back to Peter in one unbroken line of succession.

Old 02-10-2023, 10:29 AM

Quote:
An "overseer" or "pastor".
For now, let's start here. I agree. However, the bible clearly list the requirements for an elder "overseer".

It is a trustworthy statement: if any man aspires to the office of overseer, it is a fine work he desires to do. 2 An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, skillful in teaching, 3 not overindulging in wine, not a bully, but gentle, not contentious, free from the love of money. 4 He must be one who manages his own household well, keeping his children under control with all dignity 5 (but if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care of the church of God?), 6 and not a new convert, so that he will not become conceited and fall into condemnation incurred by the devil. 7 And he must have a good reputation with those outside the church, so that he will not fall into disgrace and the snare of the devil.

Does/has the Pope/s met these requirements?

Last edited by turbosixx; 02-10-2023 at 10:38 AM..

Old 02-10-2023, 10:42 AM

Quote:
For now, let's start here. I agree. However, the bible clearly list the requirements for an elder "overseer".

It is a trustworthy statement: if any man aspires to the office of overseer, it is a fine work he desires to do. 2 An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, skillful in teaching, 3 not overindulging in wine, not a bully, but gentle, not contentious, free from the love of money. 4 He must be one who manages his own household well, keeping his children under control with all dignity 5 (but if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care of the church of God?), 6 and not a new convert, so that he will not become conceited and fall into condemnation incurred by the devil. 7 And he must have a good reputation with those outside the church, so that he will not fall into disgrace and the snare of the devil.

Does/has the Pope/s met these requirements?
I'm in no position to judge the pope.

Are you arguing that he doesn't?

Old 02-10-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I'm in no position to judge the pope.
I would suggest you do. Your putting your soul in his hands.

Quote:
Are you arguing that he doesn't?
Absolutely. He is not the husband of one wife. He does not have children. The passage tells us the importance of being a husband/father.

4 He must be one who manages his own household well, keeping his children under control with all dignity 5 (but if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care of the church of God?)

He does not meet the requirements of a bishop as found in Gods word.

Old 02-10-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I would suggest you do. Your putting your soul in his hands.
What? No I'm not. No mortal has any power over my soul.

Quote:
Absolutely. He is not the husband of one wife. He does not have children. The passage tells us the importance of being a husband/father.

4 He must be one who manages his own household well, keeping his children under control with all dignity 5 (but if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care of the church of God?)

He does not meet the requirements of a bishop as found in Gods word.
That only applies to a married person. Obviously an unmarried person cannot be a husband (and hopefully isn't a father). Some married people are incapable of having children. What of them? Are they excluded from the office?

There is no Biblical requirement for a bishop to be married. An unmarried person is a better candidate in fact, since Paul said himself that celibacy is a higher good than marriage and he wishes that all would remain as he is (i.e. single and celibate).

Would you force marriage onto one aspiring to the office of bishop?

Old 02-10-2023, 11:03 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,794,579 times
Quote:
What? No I'm not. No mortal has any power over my soul.

That only applies to a married person. Obviously an unmarried person cannot be a husband (and hopefully isn't a father). There is no Biblical requirement for a bishop to be married. An unmarried person is a better candidate in fact, since Paul said himself that celibacy is a higher good than marriage and he wishes that all would remain as he is (i.e. single and celibate).
Yes! Even Jesus said (paraphrasing) that not everyone is called to be married; that SOME renounce marriage "for the sake of the Kingdom of Heaven."

The Pope would certainly fall under that category.

Not only that, but there's evidence that any of the Apostles -- who were bishops -- were married.

Speculation doesn't count as 'evidence'.

Old 02-10-2023, 11:09 AM

10,043 posts, read 4,974,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Yes! Even Jesus said (paraphrasing) that not everyone is called to be married; that SOME renounce marriage "for the sake of the Kingdom of Heaven." The Pope would certainly fall under that category.
To me there is a difference between being personally 'called' and being forbidden - 1st Timothy 4:1-3

To be a spiritually older man in authority in the congregation one does Not have to be single - 1st Timothy chapter 3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity