Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2023, 01:34 PM

13,618 posts, read 7,932,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We Episcopalians call the Pope "the Bishop of Rome".
We call him that too

"Pope" is just a nickname - a term of endearment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2023, 01:36 PM

444 posts, read 112,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Your understanding/interpretation of this passage is novel and strange and is not how the Church has always understood it.

Catholic priests in the Latin/Roman rite do normally take vows of celibacy. However, exceptions are sometimes made for a man who is already married who wants to enter the priesthood.

In other rites of the Catholic Church, priestly celibacy is not the norm and most of their priests are married.

If a Catholic priest is married and his wife dies, he is not permitted to re-marry due to the requirement to be the husband of one wife.
Interesting. So there are exceptions to the vow IF one is married. If one is not married, is the vow a requirement?

It sounds as if the CC is divided (rites). Is that correct? I know it fractured in the past but they became a different group. I assume not still associated with the RCC.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Your understanding/interpretation of this passage is novel and strange and is not how the Church has always understood it.
This is why I left you in Crete, so that you might put what remained into order, and appoint elders in every town as I directed you— 6 if anyone is above reproach, the husband of one wife, and his children are believers and not open to the charge of debauchery or insubordination. 7 For an overseer, as God's steward, must be above reproach. He must not be arrogant or quick-tempered or a drunkard or violent or greedy for gain, 8 but hospitable, a lover of good, self-controlled, upright, holy, and disciplined. 9 He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it.

How many of these are optional?

Old 02-10-2023, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosixx View Post
Interesting. So there are exceptions to the vow IF one is married. If one is not married, is the vow a requirement?
If one is unmarried, he will typically be required to take a vow of celibacy upon entering the priesthood. But as I said, there are exceptions.

Quote:
It sounds as if the CC is divided (rites). Is that correct? I know it fractured in the past but they became a different group. I assume not still associated with the RCC.
The Church is not divided. All of the self-governing rites within the Catholic church (there are over 20) are in Communion with each other and with the pope, and ultimately subject to him.

You may be thinking of the Great Schism of the 11th century which was the split between the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox. Not all Eastern churches sided with the Eastern Orthodox at that time; and many of the Eastern churches that sided with the Orthodox in the 11th century have come back into Communion with Rome since then.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:43 PM

Quote:
This is why I left you in Crete, so that you might put what remained into order, and appoint elders in every town as I directed you— 6 if anyone is above reproach, the husband of one wife, and his children are believers and not open to the charge of debauchery or insubordination. 7 For an overseer, as God's steward, must be above reproach. He must not be arrogant or quick-tempered or a drunkard or violent or greedy for gain, 8 but hospitable, a lover of good, self-controlled, upright, holy, and disciplined. 9 He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it.

I'm not going to go around in circles on this. I already explained our understanding of this passage to you. We do not read in that passage a requirement to force marriage upon aspiring clergy. It is perfectly acceptable for clergy to be celibate.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I'm not going to go around in circles on this. I already explained our understanding of this passage to you. We do not read in that passage a requirement to force marriage upon aspiring clergy. It is perfectly acceptable for clergy to be celibate.
I don't want to beat a dead horse either. Shall we go to another topic? History of the RCC? Baptism?

Old 02-10-2023, 01:55 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,791,308 times
Quote:

Marriage in of itself is optional. When Jesus said, "...some renounce marriage for the sake of the Kingdom of Heaven..." he wasn't limiting this to non-clergy.

It is widely accepted that Jesus himself was considered to be the "High Priest." Yet, the majority consensus is that Jesus was not married. Plus, there's no evidence that any of the Apostles were married (Yes, Peter had a mother-in-law, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Peter was married at the time of his ministry).

It's' interesting how often the Catholic Church is criticized for not allowing priests to marry (once they're ordained, that is), claiming that the Church is "forcing" priests to be celibate.

But the way you and others are reading the passages from 1 Timothy, you're saying that Christianity "forces" its clergy to marry.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:57 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,791,308 times
Quote:
I don't want to beat a dead horse either. Shall we go to another topic? History of the RCC? Baptism?
I thought the topic was Apostolic Succession...

Old 02-10-2023, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
I thought the topic was Apostolic Succession...
And Church history

Old 02-10-2023, 01:59 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Christ promised that His Church would endure to the end. That's what he meant when He said "the gates of hell will not prevail against it".
And I am in complete agreement that the gates of hell would not prevail. But you and I differ on what Jesus meant by "church".

Jesus promised in John 14 that he'd send the Spirit. He never promised he'd send a pope.
Quote:

Obviously, we don't see any contradictions.
Obviously. But you should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity