Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2021, 07:30 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is a huge difference between the existence of negative spiritual consequences for what we do here and wrathful and vengeful punishment imposed by a personally offended God. The consequences are directly related to our failure to BECOME the kind of Spirit God expects us to become. They are the natural spiritual result of what we have become and we will reap the consequences in corrective refinement

God is NOT imposing the consequences, He does not get any satisfaction from them, and is in fact disappointed and hurt by our failures. He is NOT wrathfully imposing punishments like our imperfect sense of justice on anyone but He WILL balance the scales of justice for everyone involved, perpetrators and victims alike, as only His PERFECT justice can do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael BoryAlis View Post
they wrestle with scriptures unto their own destruction - II Peter 3:16
after looking at this forum, no doubt the same happening here
The scriptures were interpreted with primitive minds and no effort has ever been made to correct that deficiency. They have retained the primitive interpretations as a sign of faith in God. It has been a travesty of human perversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 04:42 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,386,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Because God has always worked with and through man to accomplish His purposes. 1 Timothy 3:15 says that the Church is the pillar and foundation of truth. I believe that it was the Holy Spirit that led me to the Catholic Faith.

Christianity is a community-based Faith. It is not individualistic.
and of course you believe it is YOUR church that it is referring to. I believe it is speaking of the spiritual church.

Old 08-30-2021, 05:02 AM

1,810 posts, read 899,421 times
Quote:
You're operating on the twin premises that (1) "if an event took place, it must have been recorded in Scripture" and (2) "if a doctrine is to be believed, it must be explicitly stated in Scripture".

I can't agree with either of these premises.

With that disclaimer aside; at the end of 1 Peter, Peter writes that he has written his letter "in Babylon". Biblical scholars overwhelmingly believe that it's a cryptic reference to Rome.

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised as Jesuits have become a bit infamous for attempting to undermine what is supposedly their own religion... I don't place a lot of trust in Jesuit theology which is often opposed to Catholic theology.

Paul had apostolic authority just as Peter did. There is no definite "line of succession" to the Papacy. Throughout history, Popes have been elected and appointed through varying methods.

My above response stating that Paul ordained Linus was in response to your asking about it specifically, here:

A Pope would not necessarily have been selected from among the original Apostles, as by the time Peter died, they were probably very old and scattered all over the world. It would have made perfect sense to appoint a Roman such as Linus as the next Pope.

I can't possibly answer a question as to why God would do something the way He did it. Jesus Christ had a unique relationship with the Apostle John, just as He had a unique relationship with Peter. The only thing I can say is that Christ's apostles were simply answering their call, each one being different and unique. John was never called to the Papacy. It's as simple as that.
Jesus never had, setup or instituted a papacy. Indoctrination into a denominational theology does make your beliefs true.

Old 08-30-2021, 08:07 AM

13,615 posts, read 7,932,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
and of course you believe it is YOUR church that it is referring to. I believe it is speaking of the spiritual church.
There is only One Church; Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
You are correct there is only one church and it is the many membered body of Christ, yet you think the many members can only be found in your church.

You keep building up that which Jesus tore down.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
You are correct there is only one church and it is the many membered body of Christ, yet you think the many members can only be found in your church.
Not true. All who are baptized are members of the Church, though possibly in an imperfect way.

Quote:
You keep building up that which Jesus tore down.
Again, ridiculous. The old covenant was limited to the children of Abraham (Hebrews) with its sign being circumcision (only males). A definitive "wall", if you will.

The new covenant exists in the Church Universal (i.e. open to all) with its sign being baptism (open to all).

Old 08-30-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Not true. All who are baptized are members of the Church, though possibly in an imperfect way.

Again, ridiculous. The old covenant was limited to the children of Abraham (Hebrews) with its sign being circumcision (only males). A definitive "wall", if you will.

The new covenant exists in the Church Universal (i.e. open to all) with its sign being baptism (open to all).
so if all who are baptized are members of the church then it does not matter if it is YOUR church or not.

Or are you saying they have to be baptized into YOUR church? if so you are building a wall Jesus broke down.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
so if all who are baptized are members of the church then it does not matter if it is YOUR church or not.

Or are you saying they have to be baptized into YOUR church? if so you are building a wall Jesus broke down.
There is only One Baptism. If one is baptized, then they are made a child of God, regenerated, and have gained entrance to the Church in a mystical way.

However, not all baptized are in full Communion with the Church. That's why they are only members of the Church in an imperfect way.

Being in full Communion with the Church is important. Baptism by itself is not a free ticket to heaven. We need ALL of the Sacraments.

Old 08-30-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
There is only One Baptism. If one is baptized, then they are made a child of God, regenerated, and have gained entrance to the Church in a mystical way.

However, not all baptized are in full Communion with the Church. That's why they are only members of the Church in an imperfect way.

Being in full Communion with the Church is important. Baptism by itself is not a free ticket to heaven. We need ALL of the Sacraments.
If you need to believe all that in order to serve God so be it, I do not, I find my altar anywhere I talk to God.

Old 08-30-2021, 03:15 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
If that is a reference to the Roman Catholic Church, it is responsible for leading many astray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity