Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2021, 03:40 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
If you need to believe all that in order to serve God so be it, I do not, I find my altar anywhere I talk to God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
If that is a reference to the Roman Catholic Church, it is responsible for leading many astray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2021, 01:36 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
From the Dogmatic Constitutions of the First Vatican Council of 1870:

"We teach and declare that, according to the gospel evidence, a primacy of jurisdiction over the whole church of God was immediately and directly promised to the blessed Apostle Peter and conferred on him by Christ the Lord. It was to Simon alone, to whom he had already said 'You shall be called Cephas', that the Lord, after his confession, 'You are the Christ, the son of the living God', spoke these words:

Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.
And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the underworld shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven

And it was to Peter alone that Jesus, after his resurrection, confided the jurisdiction of supreme pastor and ruler of his whole fold, saying:

Feed my lambs, feed my sheep.

To this absolutely manifest teaching of the Sacred Scriptures, as it has always been understood by the Catholic Church, are clearly opposed the distorted opinions of those who misrepresent the form of government which Christ the Lord established in his Church and deny that Peter, in preference to the rest of the Apostles, taken singly or collectively, was endowed by Christ with a true and proper primacy of jurisdiction. The same may be said of those who assert that this primacy was not conferred immediately and directly on Blessed Peter himself, but rather on the Church, and that it was through the Church that it was transmitted to him in his capacity as her minister.

Therefore, if anyone says that Blessed Peter the Apostle was not appointed by Christ the Lord as prince of all the Apostles and visible head of the whole Church militant; or that it was a primacy of honour only and not one of true and proper jurisdiction that he directly and immediately received from our Lord Jesus Christ himself: let him be anathema."

Old 09-23-2021, 01:53 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

"We teach and declare that, according to the gospel evidence, a primacy of jurisdiction over the whole church of God was immediately and directly promised to the blessed Apostle Peter and conferred on him by Christ the Lord. It was to Simon alone, to whom he had already said 'You shall be called Cephas', that the Lord, after his confession, 'You are the Christ, the son of the living God', spoke these words:

Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.
And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the underworld shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven

And it was to Peter alone that Jesus, after his resurrection, confided the jurisdiction of supreme pastor and ruler of his whole fold, saying:

To this absolutely manifest teaching of the Sacred Scriptures, as it has always been understood by the Catholic Church, are clearly opposed the distorted opinions of those who misrepresent the form of government which Christ the Lord established in his Church and deny that Peter, in preference to the rest of the Apostles, taken singly or collectively, was endowed by Christ with a true and proper primacy of jurisdiction. The same may be said of those who assert that this primacy was not conferred immediately and directly on Blessed Peter himself, but rather on the Church, and that it was through the Church that it was transmitted to him in his capacity as her minister.

Therefore, if anyone says that Blessed Peter the Apostle was not appointed by Christ the Lord as prince of all the Apostles and visible head of the whole Church militant; or that it was a primacy of honour only and not one of true and proper jurisdiction that he directly and immediately received from our Lord Jesus Christ himself: let him be anathema."
Just to clear things up (if, in fact, that is even necessary at this point), the LDS have no argument with Peter being appointed by Christ to lead His Church after His death.

Old 09-23-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Just to clear things up (if, in fact, that is even necessary at this point), the LDS have no argument with Peter being appointed by Christ to lead His Church after His death.

It's quite obvious when looked at objectively.

Old 09-23-2021, 01:59 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
... I find my altar anywhere I talk to God.

And I find that "altar" more amongst God's creations: trees, lakes, rivers, forests, and the ocean; not man's creations (stuffy buildings, hard pews, not-so subtle dress-codes, boring repetitive lifeless music, bogus titles of authority and superiority, etc. etc.) The contrast is practically screaming what hides in darkness vs. what is exposed in daylight. We see a near literal comparison.

Jesus was out in the open, for all to see, because he had nothing to hide. Many church-goers though need to hide behind walls, which perfectly matches their actions.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-23-2021 at 02:11 PM..

Old 09-23-2021, 02:40 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:

[It] doesn't say, "you are Peter and on this Peter...?" Rather, it says, "you are Petros, but on this PETRA..." If you desire to use the AND, instead of BUT, then you will need to know that it's the confession of Christ, as being the Son of the living God - that the Church would be built, not on Peter himself or the Pope. And this was being "written" within the hearts of men - not on a Podium, where men exalt themselves; and surround themselves with riches.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:41 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:

Anathema here! This is nothing more than self-serving propaganda to promote the authority of the Church and its "precepts and doctrines of men." They self-appoint themselves to dispense sacraments and other dispensations in the name of God placing themselves in the mediator role that is Jesus Christ's ALONE!!! They have nothing to do with your salvation because NONE of us do. Jesus did that and it is finished!

Relying on the Church for your salvation instead of Jesus Christ is the true anathema. If you want to avoid any negative consequences for your spiritual failures, focus on loving God and each other every day as Jesus does and repenting when you fail - the more often the better! All the other folderol will avail you nothing because your salvation is already assured. What you build on the foundation of agape love Jesus laid will determine your ultimate fate, but you are "saved as by fire" by Jesus no matter what.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 09-23-2021 at 02:53 PM..

Old 09-23-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
[It] doesn't say, "you are Peter and on this Peter...?" Rather, it says, "you are Petros, but on this PETRA..." If you desire to use the AND, instead of BUT, then you will need to know that it's the confession of Christ, as being the Son of the living God - that the Church would be built, not on Peter himself or the Pope. And this was being "written" within the hearts of men - not on a Podium, where men exalt themselves; and surround themselves with riches.
You're wrong.

Matthew 16:18:
κἀγὼ δέ σοι λέγω ὅτι σὺ εἶ Πέτρος, καὶ ἐπὶ ταύτῃ τῇ πέτρᾳ οἰκοδομήσω μου τὴν ἐκκλησίαν, καὶ πύλαι ᾅδου οὐ κατισχύσουσιν αὐτῆς.

καὶ means "and"

Old 09-23-2021, 03:02 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Quote:
You're wrong.

Matthew 16:18:
κἀγὼ δέ σοι λέγω ὅτι σὺ εἶ Πέτρος, καὶ ἐπὶ ταύτῃ τῇ πέτρᾳ οἰκοδομήσω μου τὴν ἐκκλησίαν, καὶ πύλαι ᾅδου οὐ κατισχύσουσιν αὐτῆς.

καὶ means "and"
So, I'm going to throw a wrench in here and suggest that the "rock" being referred to is not an individual at all. Jesus Christ himself was the cornerstone of His Church, and I don't believe it was built upon Peter or anybody else, but upon Jesus Christ. Looking at the conversation Jesus was having with the apostles just prior to this proclamation, we see that He asked them who they believed Him to be. He got various answers, none of them being correct, until Peter said that Jesus was "the Christ, the Son of the Living God." Jesus commended him for realizing this, and then went on to say that Peter knew what he did, not by having been taught this by men (i.e., by "flesh and blood") but by God himself (i.e. "our Father in Heaven"). I believe that the rock upon which the Church was built was the rock of revelation, the means that God would continue to direct His Church through ongoing revelation to his servants.

Old 09-23-2021, 03:15 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
Quote:
Except there's a fatal flaw with this interpretation (above) in that you can't 'hand the keys' to 'a confession',
and nowhere else in the bible OT or NT do we see an example of our Lord conferring authority to 'a confession'!!!

rather, Jesus was installing Simon, now renamed 'kêfā' /Petra/Peter, into a office/position;
just as Our Lord clearly did Eliakim (Isaiah 22:21-22) when He did confer the keys upon him then,
"I will clothe him with your robe, gird him with your sash, confer on him your authority."
"He shall be a father to " ....them.... (wears a robe and is called 'papa'.... .hmmmmmm)
and Jesus further promises "and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it."

Now notice, prior to Jesus conferring authority to Kefa, Jesus instructed people to 'Do as they say'.... (Matthew 23:3),
even while He himself was walking in their midst,
demonstrating that the Jewish authorities were STILL exercising the authority Our Lord handed to them,
all the way back the chain of succession from Eliakim,
but not for long,
as this was to be conferred on Kefa,
and his successors,
till The King return,
on that day.

There ain't nothing in the NT that wasn't already shown in the OT!

Last edited by CCCyou; 09-23-2021 at 03:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity