Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2021, 11:14 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Do you deny that Peter held an elevated place above the other Apostles?
Because Scripture doesn't support it. And we do see Peter being corrected publicly by Paul.
Quote:

But we have plenty of historical documents that testify that they were bishops. Timothy was the first bishop of Ephesus, for example.

Do you just disbelieve the history?
Your history? Yes.
Quote:
As I've been trying to explain, Scripture does not contain every teaching, belief, and historical event in history.
I understand that. But we don't use a biased view history to correct Scripture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This ongoing discord between a Catholic fundamentalist and a Baptist Fundamentalist reveals the utter folly of believing in the apostolic succession of ANY kind.
You realize I'm not actually a fundie, right? Nor would Mike be a "fundie".
Quote:

We are too fallible and flawed as humans ever to possess the kind of authority such nonsense purports. We ALL have the Comforter within us and we need to learn to listen and trust what He guides us to in our hearts because that is where God has written His Truth with agape love. We just need to be in the states of mind associated with agape love to see and understand Him. To refresh your minds, here is what Jesus showed us those states of mind are:

Is that why you believe the crazy message you say some spirit gave you?

Old 08-27-2021, 11:30 AM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Because Scripture doesn't support it.
But I just showed you that Scripture does support it...

Peter is always listed first:
Matthew 10:2 / Mark 3:16 / Luke 6:14

Peter speaks/answers for the rest of the Apostles:
Matthew 15:15 / Matthew 16:16 / Matthew 19:27 / Luke 12:41 / John 6:68

Jesus singles Peter out:
Matthew 26:40 / Luke 22:31

Only Peter, James, and John were with Jesus on special occasions such as the raising of Jairus' daughter, the Transfiguration, and the Agony in the Garden:
Mark 5:37 / Luke 8:51; Matthew 17:1 / Mark 9:1 / Luke 9:28; Matthew 26:37 / Mark 14:33

Jesus uniquely favors Peter:
Luke 5:3 / Matthew 14:28-31 / Matthew 17:24-27

Quote:
And we do see Peter being corrected publicly by Paul.
What does Paul correcting Peter prove to you?

Quote:
Your history? Yes.
I'm not a historian, so there is no such thing as "my history". All I can do is read other historians. Some of the historians are Catholic, some are Protestant, some are not religious. Regardless of affiliation, they overwhelmingly agree that the early Church had bishops, and that Timothy was the first bishop of Ephesus.

Quote:
I understand that. But we don't use a biased view history to correct Scripture.
Nobody is "correcting Scripture" here.

Old 08-27-2021, 11:44 AM

3,830 posts, read 1,384,422 times
Quote:
///
Jesus singles Peter out:
Matthew 26:40 / Luke 22:31////
especially Luke 22:32, where Jesus tells Peter to 'strengthen your brothers' after telling him that He has 'prayed that Peters faith not fail'.

and

specific instructions at John 21:15-17 to shepherd His flock!

Last edited by CCCyou; 08-27-2021 at 12:30 PM..

Old 08-27-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Jesus singles Peter out:

Only Peter, James, and John were with Jesus on special occasions such as the raising of Jairus' daughter, the Transfiguration, and the Agony in the Garden:
Mark 5:37 / Luke 8:51; Matthew 17:1 / Mark 9:1 / Luke 9:28; Matthew 26:37 / Mark 14:33

None of those passages show Peter in charge.
Quote:

What does Paul correcting Peter prove to you?
It shows Peter was not in charge. Paul corrected his false ideas, and wrongful behavior.
Quote:

I'm not a historian, so there is no such thing as "my history". All I can do is read other historians. Some of the historians are Catholic, some are Protestant, some are not religious. Regardless of affiliation, they overwhelmingly agree that the early Church had bishops, and that Timothy was the first bishop of Ephesus.

Nobody is "correcting Scripture" here.
You're reading into the text.

Old 08-27-2021, 12:35 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,968,601 times
Quote:
In response to BaptistFundie's above post, I reject your assertion that "the RCC does not follow Peter's and the rest of the apostles' teachings. There is no indication that much of what the RCC teaches today was believed by them."
I see nothing in Catholicism that contradicts Scripture, and there is plenty of indication that the Catholic religion is the religion of the Apostles................
Indication such as_________________
Gospel writer Luke forward at Acts 20:29-30 that after the death of the apostles the apostasy would set in.
Jesus forewarned the genuine ' wheat ' Christians would grow together with the fake ' weed/tares ' until the Harvest Time.
The Harvest Time or the soon coming Time of Separation' to take place on Earth - Matthew 25:31-33,37,40.

Old 08-27-2021, 12:51 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This ongoing discord between a Catholic fundamentalist and a Baptist Fundamentalist reveals the utter folly of believing in the apostolic succession of ANY kind. We are too fallible and flawed as humans ever to possess the kind of authority such nonsense purports. We ALL have the Comforter within us and we need to learn to listen and trust what He guides us to in our hearts because that is where God has written His Truth with agape love. We just need to be in the states of mind associated with agape love to see and understand Him. To refresh your minds, here is what Jesus showed us those states of mind are:

The Holy Spirit IS the True Nature of God revealed, described, and demonstrated unambiguously by Jesus. He IS agape love, kindness, mercy, compassion, gentleness, unconditional acceptance, empathy, sympathy, tolerance, long-suffering, decency, friendliness, peacefulness, joyfulness, understanding, care, concern, solicitude, solicitousness, sensitivity, tender-heartedness, soft-heartedness, warm-heartedness, warmth, love, brotherly love, tenderness, gentleness, mercifulness, leniency, lenience, consideration, kindness, humanity, humaneness, kind-heartedness, charity, benevolence, and He is non-judgmental.
Quote:
You realize I'm not actually a fundie, right? Nor would Mike be a "fundie".
Is that why you believe the crazy message you say some spirit gave you?
Stop lying. I never said some Spirit gave me any message. I encountered a consciousness that MATCHES EXACTLY the consciousness of JESUS CHRIST on the Cross so I use what JESUS CHRIST revealed about God's True Nature as the Holy Spirit of agape love and forgiveness as my guide to the Truth. Jesus is the Spirit who IS the Way, the Truth, and the Life, NOT the letter that kills "written in ink" by men and He abides with us as the Comforter to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts."

2nd Corinthians 3: 2-6 (King James Version)
2Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
3Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
4And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

Old 08-27-2021, 12:53 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Quote:
Paul corrected his false ideas, and wrongful behavior.
Yes, but what does that prove? No one ever said that the head of any organization is exempt from rebuke or criticism. Peter was not above correction or reproach, and neither has been any Pope since.

Quote:
You're reading into the text.
Which text?

Old 08-27-2021, 01:00 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,968,601 times
Quote:
Jesus singles Peter out:
What does Paul correcting Peter prove to you?.............................................. ...........
I find Peter is Not first in Jesus' important choice at Acts 9:10-13 but Ananias is Jesus' choice.
Besides Peter the rest of the apostles and elders choose Paul and Barnabas at Acts 15:22-41.
Notice that it is Paul who takes the lead at Acts 14:26 to Acts 15:2; Galatians 2:8-9.
I find it is Paul who takes the initiative at Galatians 2:11-13 to inform Peter to his face that he was wrong at that time.
It was wrong of Peter to refuse to associate with those non-Jews so that proves a fellow believer needs correction.
Peter refers to Paul as his beloved brother in Christ at 2nd Peter 3:15.

Old 08-27-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, but what does that prove? No one ever said that the head of any organization is exempt from rebuke or criticism. Peter was not above correction or reproach, and neither has been any Pope since.
I thought the pope was infallible on issues of faith and morals.
Quote:
Which text?
Good point. You don't really seem to be using one to conclude Peter was Pope, or Bishop of Rome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity