Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2023, 10:32 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Your criticism only applies to the Latin Rite of the Catholic Church, and not the Catholic Church as a whole. The cup has never been withheld from the laity in the Eastern Rites as far as I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
I know firsthand it was withheld in the Catholic Churches in the US.
I don't dispute that the cup has been historically withheld from the laity in the Latin Rite of the Catholic Church. The Latin church is but one of 20+ autonomous churches that make up the worldwide Catholic Church. In the other 20+ churches, the cup has never been withheld from the laity to my knowledge.

Even if I were to concede that the Latin Rite of the Church was being disobedient to Christ's command (I don't), it's irrelevant because the Catholic Church as a universal body has never withheld the cup from the laity.

Quote:
Do you take the cup every Lord’s Day?

Have you humbly submitted to the command of Jesus to take the bread AND THE CUP to remember Him. After all, He did establish that rite the night He was betrayed.
This command of Jesus was not directed at me, but to His disciples who were with Him at the Last Supper. The command therefore extends to bishops and priests, who are their successors. Bishops and priests have always consumed communion under both kinds in every rite of the Catholic Church.

I am only required to receive Communion once a year, and the Church in her wisdom has determined that since Christ is alive and cannot be divided, that the entirety of His substance - Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity - is really and truly present in every particle of Eucharistic bread and every drop of Eucharistic wine. Therefore, whenever I receive the Eucharist under the appearance of bread, I am receiving Christ's Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity. Nothing is lacking because Christ is complete and undivided.

I have attended liturgies in the Byzantine and Maronite rites. They practice intinction, and I have received communion in this way.

I have even received communion via intinction in a Latin Rite mass once that I can recall. It is rarely done, but is permitted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Catholic Churches...in NYC, FL and in TX where I have attended mass.
I was raised Catholic and I never believed it was literal blood.

Because Jesus only died once...not every Sunday.
I'm not talking about what you believe, I'm talking about what the Catholic Church believes and teaches.

There is mass every day, not just Sundays.

Old 01-11-2023, 10:40 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,278,374 times
Quote:
Catholic Churches...in NYC, FL and in TX where I have attended mass.
I was raised Catholic and I never believed it was literal blood.

Because Jesus only died once...not every Sunday.
I truly believe in the presence of Jesus when we take the bread and cup, but I don’t believe we are literally eating His body or drinking His blood.

U r exactly right. Jesus died ONCE for all. No need for His blood over and over again. No need for the “sacrifice of the mass.”

Funny, but you never read about the early church eating the body and drinking the blood …probably because they understood it to be symbolic.

Old 01-11-2023, 10:50 AM

43,142 posts, read 18,306,779 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about what you believe, I'm talking about what the Catholic Church believes and teaches.

That's why I'm no longer a Catholic.

I could discuss these things with my mother as she was pretty open minded regarding organized religion.
But my father was a staunch Catholic that never questioned the Church's teaching.

Doesn't make either of them wrong though. Sometimes that's just the way it is regarding Christianity.
It's a matter of whose interpretation that most resonates with you.

Old 01-11-2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I truly believe in the presence of Jesus when we take the bread and cup, but I don’t believe we are literally eating His body or drinking His blood.

U r exactly right. Jesus died ONCE for all. No need for His blood over and over again. No need for the “sacrifice of the mass.”

Funny, but you never read about the early church eating the body and drinking the blood …probably because they understood it to be symbolic.
The early Christians were Jewish and so the Passover meal evolved as Christianity did.

Old 01-11-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:

I understand, and I know there is a mass everyday. I used to go when I attended Catholic school, which was right across the street.

Hey Mike, I have no issue with you believing the teachings of the Catholic Church. My objection is when you try to pass them off as coming from God. Call them what they are. Traditions of men. They are not from God. In fact, Jesus made His feelings clear about them in Matthew 15. The Pharisees were notorious for it.

Old 01-11-2023, 11:19 AM

Quote:
The early Christians were Jewish and so the Passover meal evolved as Christianity did.
The Passover was observed to remember how God brought the Jews out of Egyptian bondage.

Jesus instituted the Lord’s Supper as a remembrance of what He did for us at the cross, and how He would bring sinners out of bondage.

Old 01-11-2023, 11:24 AM

Quote:
That's why I'm no longer a Catholic.

I could discuss these things with my mother as she was pretty open minded regarding organized religion.
But my father was a staunch Catholic that never questioned the Church's teaching.

Doesn't make either of them wrong though. Sometimes that's just the way it is regarding Christianity.
It's a matter of whose interpretation that most resonates with you.
My Mom became Catholic in order to marry my Father who was Catholic, though not practicing. When my sister and I left the Catholic Church in 1977, we began to study the Scriptures with my Mom. She left the Catholic Church once she saw what God’s word said. My Father died in 1970. He was Catholic in name only.

I leave the judgement of him and all Catholics in God’s hands.

Old 01-11-2023, 11:27 AM

Quote:
The Passover was observed to remember how God brought the Jews out of Egyptian bondage.

Jesus instituted the Lord’s Supper as a remembrance of what He did for us at the cross, and how He would bring sinners out of bondage.
Yes but it was the Passover meal where he did that.

Jesus connected the religions....

Old 01-11-2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:
There are 45,000 distinct Christian denominations in the world. Who is telling the true story ?
The entire purpose of this thread is to figure out the answer to that question. Of course, I assert that the answer is the Catholic Church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity