Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2023, 08:22 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,278,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Fair enough.

But my question is still a valid one... Did Jesus say anything else besides what is recorded in Scripture?
I believe everything Jesus wanted us to know concerning salvation, how to treat others, how to please God, etc. are written in the gospels.

Did Jesus say other things like please, thank you, excuse me, it’s a beautiful day? He probably did. But I trust that the Holy Spirit included everything we need to know in the gospels.

Last edited by MissKate12; 01-11-2023 at 08:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
And those oral accounts were subject to human fallibility and corruption.
No they were not!

2 Peter 1:20
20 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture comes from one’s own interpretation. 21For no such prophecy was ever brought forth by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

What you are essentially saying is that you don’t trust the word of God. This allows you to pick & choose what you want to believe and what you don’t.

Old 01-11-2023, 08:33 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
I believe everything Jesus wanted us to know concerning salvation, how to treat others, how to please God, etc. are written in the gospels.

Did Jesus say other things like please, thank you, excuse me, it’s a beautiful day? He probably did. But I trust that the Holy Spirit included everything we need to know in the gospels.
Thanks.

I see no reason to presume that everything Jesus wanted us to know is written in the Gospels. If that were the case, then why establish a Church? Why appoint Apostles? What about all the people who can't read (which back then was nearly everyone)?

Jesus gave us a living authority, a Church.

Old 01-11-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:
=mtolympus;64716395]Yes, that is very true. Jesus told us to beware of false prophets. But Jesus also told us how to know true prophets. He said, "By their fruits ye shall know them." Why would he say that if there would never be anymore true prophets?
Because there were prophets following the death of Jesus. Men who spoke and wrote through the Holy Spirit: Paul, Peter, Luke, Jude, James, the author of Hebrews and John.

My question for you is how do you recognize a false prophet?

Old 01-11-2023, 08:39 AM

43,142 posts, read 18,306,779 times
Quote:
Your hang-up on this issue is unfounded. The priest has always received Communion under both kinds. Where do you find the command that the laity must receive Communion whenever it is offered, and always under both kinds?

If you believe it to be an imperative for the laity to receive Communion every time it is offered, the Eastern rites have never withheld the cup from the laity, and they are just as much Catholic as the Latin Rite.

Your criticism of the sometimes-practice of the Latin Rite withholding the cup from the laity has nothing to do with the validity of the Catholic Church as being One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic.

Scripture provides no direction for women to receive Communion under either species at any time. It seems to me that if you are going to stick to the letter of Scripture alone and reject any tradition outside Scripture, then you must bar women from receiving Communion.
Do you know why the Catholics don't make use of those prefilled communion cups that other religions use ?

Old 01-11-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Do you know why the Catholics don't make use of those prefilled communion cups that other religions use ?
In the Catholic Church, the wine is not merely symbolic, but it actually becomes the Blood of Christ.

Disposable communion cups are not a fitting vessel for the Blood of our Lord.

Old 01-11-2023, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Your hang-up on this issue is unfounded. The priest has always received Communion under both kinds. Where do you find the command that the laity must receive Communion whenever it is offered, and always under both kinds?

If you believe it to be an imperative for the laity to receive Communion every time it is offered, the Eastern rites have never withheld the cup from the laity, and they are just as much Catholic as the Latin Rite.

Your criticism of the sometimes-practice of the Latin Rite withholding the cup from the laity has nothing to do with the validity of the Catholic Church as being One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic.

Scripture provides no direction for women to receive Communion under either species at any time. It seems to me that if you are going to stick to the letter of Scripture alone and reject any tradition outside Scripture, then you must bar women from receiving Communion.
Many decades after Jesus’ death, burial, resurrection and ascension, Paul wrote to the congregation at Corinth. It’s pretty clear that the Christians in Corinth were taking both the bread and the cup, though in an unworthy manner. It’s ludicrous to think women did not partake of the bread and cup, especially since it was they who prepared the meal (made the bread). We see women everywhere taking an active role in the Lord’s church. The burden is on you, my friend, to prove women didn’t take communion.

1 Corinthian 11
23 For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night He was betrayed, took bread, 24and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “This is My body, which is for you;c do this in remembrance of Me.” 25In the same way, after supper He took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.” 26For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes.

27Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against thed body and blood of the Lord. 28Each one must examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. 29For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the bodye eats and drinks judgment on himself. 30That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep.

There is no example of anyone partaking of bread alone in the New Testament.

My criticism of the Catholic Church is well founded. Jesus commanded we take both the bread and cup in remembrance of Him. The cup was removed from the laity centuries ago (as early as 1200). It was restored in 1970 by Vatican 2, but most Catholic Churches still don’t offer the cup to its people.

You should be hung up on this, especially since you are Catholic. You should be demanding your congregation serve the cup, which Jesus commanded. It’s hard for me to understand why this doesn’t make you furious.

Old 01-11-2023, 08:58 AM

43,142 posts, read 18,306,779 times
Quote:
In the Catholic Church, the wine is not merely symbolic, but it actually becomes the Blood of Christ.

Disposable communion cups are not a fitting vessel for the Blood of our Lord.
I had always perceived that as symbolic...not literal.

At some masses the priest would dip the wafer in the cup before giving communion. But that did not happen in every Catholic mass I attended.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippy123 View Post
There were also oral teachings and as well as scriptural teachings in the mass .
The early Christian’s understood the teachings of the apostolic fathers who received these teachings directly from the apostles themselves .
The only words we can trust as being absolute truth are those which came from God.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Many decades after Jesus’ death, burial, resurrection and ascension, Paul wrote to the congregation at Corinth. It’s pretty clear that the Christians in Corinth were taking both the bread and the cup, though in an unworthy manner. It’s ludicrous to think women did not partake of the bread and cup, especially since it was they who prepared the meal (made the bread). We see women everywhere taking an active role in the Lord’s church.
You are assuming without textual evidence that women were receiving Communion.

Quote:
The burden is on you, my friend, to prove women didn’t take communion.
Of course women took Communion. That's not the point. The point is that we don't have evidence from the text of women receiving Communion, nor is it directly commanded by Christ or anyone else in the text.

In order to conclude that women are to receive Communion, you must be appealing to a tradition outside the text itself.

Quote:
My criticism of the Catholic Church is well founded. Jesus commanded we take both the bread and cup in remembrance of Him. The cup was removed from the laity centuries ago (as early as 1200). It was restored in 1970 by Vatican 2, but most Catholic Churches still don’t offer the cup to its people.
Your criticism only applies to the Latin Rite of the Catholic Church, and not the Catholic Church as a whole. The cup has never been withheld from the laity in the Eastern Rites as far as I know.

Quote:
It’s hard for me to understand why this doesn’t make you furious.
My personal feelings regarding any particular practice of the Church are irrelevant. My duty as a Christian is to humbly submit to the Authority Christ has established.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity