Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2023, 08:52 PM

1,809 posts, read 897,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippy123 View Post
There were also oral teachings and as well as scriptural teachings in the mass .
The early Christian’s understood the teachings of the apostolic fathers who received these teachings directly from the apostles themselves .
And those oral accounts were subject to human fallibility and corruption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 11:00 PM

332 posts, read 84,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Actually it does. It tells us it’s all we need. Modern day prophets would love for you to buy into their doctrines. It’s a means of control.
Yes, that is very true. Jesus told us to beware of false prophets. But Jesus also told us how to know true prophets. He said, "By their fruits ye shall know them." Why would he say that if there would never be anymore true prophets?

Quote:
“His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through the knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence. 4Through these He has given us His precious and magnificent promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, now that you have escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. (2 Peter 1:3-4)
Good scripture. So why object to the idea that God continues to display his divine power through modern day revelation to ordinary men as he did with Peter? What are "His precious and magnificent promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature"?

Quote:
“ 16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for instruction, for conviction, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be complete, fully equipped for every good work.” (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
Do believe God is dead? If not, why object to the claim that God continues to breath useful instruction for us today?

Old 01-11-2023, 07:25 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times
Quote:
=EscAlaMike;64712497
I agree and have no reason to try and prove otherwise.
If you agree that the elders, those who succeeded the apostles, did not have the authority to change, add or remove anything from the word of God, then who in the Catholic Church removed the cup, which Jesus commanded we drink in remembrance of Him?

Quote:
I was referencing John 21:25. Tradition says that the Apostle John did in fact write the Gospel of John. The Fathers attribute authorship to John. Do you dispute that John wrote the Gospel named for him?
In your post # 440, you wrote “Everything taught by the Catholic Church was in fact taught by Christ Himself. Read the ending to the Gospel of John. It says that all the books in the world (that includes the Bible) could not contain all that Jesus said and did.”

Maybe you were thinking about who wrote John in your comment above. I can’t say because I can’t read your mind. But it was your words I questioned. You wrote that all the books in the world “could not contain all that Jesus [b]SAID AND DID?

Please read the verse again. Let me know what you discover.

Last edited by MissKate12; 01-11-2023 at 07:39 AM..

Old 01-11-2023, 07:50 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
If you agree that the elders, those who succeeded the apostles, did not have the authority to change, add or remove anything from the word of God, then who in the Catholic Church removed the cup, which Jesus commanded we drink in remembrance of Him?
Your hang-up on this issue is unfounded. The priest has always received Communion under both kinds. Where do you find the command that the laity must receive Communion whenever it is offered, and always under both kinds?

If you believe it to be an imperative for the laity to receive Communion every time it is offered, the Eastern rites have never withheld the cup from the laity, and they are just as much Catholic as the Latin Rite.

Your criticism of the sometimes-practice of the Latin Rite withholding the cup from the laity has nothing to do with the validity of the Catholic Church as being One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic.

Scripture provides no direction for women to receive Communion under either species at any time. It seems to me that if you are going to stick to the letter of Scripture alone and reject any tradition outside Scripture, then you must bar women from receiving Communion.

Old 01-11-2023, 07:52 AM

Quote:
In your post # 440, you wrote “Everything taught by the Catholic Church was in fact taught by Christ Himself. Read the ending to the Gospel of John. It says that all the books in the world (that includes the Bible) could not contain all that Jesus said and did.”

Maybe you were thinking about who wrote John in your comment above. I can’t say because I can’t read your mind. But it was your words I questioned. You wrote that all the books in the world “could not contain all that Jesus [b]SAID AND DID?

Please read the verse again. Let me know what you discover.
John 21:25 But there are also many other things which Jesus did; which, if they were written every one, the world itself, I think, would not be able to contain the books that should be written.

Are you implying that since the word "said" is not in the verse, that literally every word Jesus ever spoke is recorded in Scripture?

Old 01-11-2023, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtolympus View Post
Yes, that is very true. Jesus told us to beware of false prophets. But Jesus also told us how to know true prophets. He said, "By their fruits ye shall know them." Why would he say that if there would never be anymore true prophets?

Good scripture. So why object to the idea that God continues to display his divine power through modern day revelation to ordinary men as he did with Peter? What are "His precious and magnificent promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature"?

Do believe God is dead? If not, why object to the claim that God continues to breath useful instruction for us today?
1Corinthians 13:8-10
8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.

The Greek term for “perfect” is teleios. It means complete. See below.

Jude wrote, “3 Beloved, although I made every effort to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt it necessary to write and urge you to contend earnestly for the faith entrusted once for all to the saints.

◄ 5046. teleios ►
Strong's Concordance
teleios: having reached its end, i.e. complete, by ext. perfect
Original Word: τέλειος, α, ον
Part of Speech: Adjective
Transliteration: teleios
Phonetic Spelling: (tel'-i-os)
Definition: having reached its end, complete, perfect
Usage: perfect, (a) complete in all its parts, (b) full grown, of full age, (c) specially of the completeness of Christian character.

Old 01-11-2023, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
John 21:25 But there are also many other things which Jesus did; which, if they were written every one, the world itself, I think, would not be able to contain the books that should be written.

Are you implying that since the word "said" is not in the verse, that literally every word Jesus ever spoke is recorded in Scripture?
I was pointing out to you that “said” is not in John 21:25. We know that we cannot change, add or remove from the Scriptures, so I felt you should be aware. I trust that if the Holy Spirit had wanted the word “said” in that verse, it would be there. He had His reasons for not including it.

You’re not the first Catholic to add the word “said” to John 21:25. I suppose if you hear it often enough, you tend to believe it’s there. Hey Mike, I’ve trained my ears to pick up on thing people say the Scriptures say when they actually don’t. Remember the other day when I called out Baptist Fundie for saying we’re not with a sin nature? God’s word doesn’t say that. All I was doing was pointing out to you that “said” is not in John 21:25, and wanted you to see it for yourself.

Old 01-11-2023, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I was pointing out to you that “said” is not in God’s word. We know that we cannot change, add or remove from the Scriptures. I trust that if the Holy Spirit had wanted the word “said” in that verse, it would be there. He had His reasons for not including it.

You’re not the first Catholic to add the word “said” to John 21:25. I’m simply pointing out to you that it’s not there and wanted you to see it for yourself.
Fair enough.

But my question is still a valid one... Did Jesus say anything else besides what is recorded in Scripture?

Old 01-11-2023, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

I was pointing out to you that “said” is not in God’s word. We know that we cannot change, add or remove from the Scriptures. I trust that if the Holy Spirit had wanted the word “said” in that verse, it would be there. He had His reasons for not including it.

You’re not the first Catholic to add the word “said” to John 21:25. I’m simply pointing out to you that it’s not there and wanted you to see it for yourself.

Old 01-11-2023, 08:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
I was pointing out to you that “said” is not in John 21:25. We know that we cannot change, add or remove from the Scriptures, so I felt you should be aware. I trust that if the Holy Spirit had wanted the word “said” in that verse, it would be there. He had His reasons for not including it.

You’re not the first Catholic to add the word “said” to John 21:25. I suppose if you hear it often enough, you tend to believe it’s there. Hey Mike, I’ve trained my ears to pick up on thing people say the Scriptures say when they actually don’t. Remember the other day when I called out Baptist Fundie for saying we’re not with a sin nature? God’s word doesn’t say that. All I was doing was pointing out to you that “said” is not in John 21:25, and wanted you to see it for yourself.
This Catholic has never added that word or heard that word added by anyone. Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity