Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2023, 12:03 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,278,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Right there in you're own quote!

seems you left this one out too (purposely?) : “Accept our counsel and you will have nothing to regret. . . . If anyone disobeys the things which have been said by him [Jesus] through us, let them know that they will involve themselves in no small danger. We, however, shall be innocent of this sin and will pray with entreaty and supplication that the Creator of all may keep unharmed the number of his elect.” (ibid. 58:2, 59:1).
No I didn’t miss it. Read it again! It was the THINGS SAID BY JESUS through the elders.

What you’re not seeing is that the elders understood that their authority came THROUGH THE THINGS SAID BY JESUS. It is by disobedience to the words of Jesus that the church at Corinth was in danger. Authority did not come from the elders themselves. It came via the word of God.

It’s obvious that Clement and the other elders, deacons and the congregation in Rome believed in Scripture Alone. Thanks for pointing it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2023, 12:12 PM

13,627 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
It’s obvious that Clement and the other elders, deacons and the congregation in Rome believed in Scripture Alone. Thanks for pointing it out.
That's not possible since the New Testament had not yet been completed and/or definitively compiled in the time of Clement.

Old 01-09-2023, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
It seems Pope Clement 1 would agree with your summary, even in the 1st century:
Through countryside and city [the apostles] preached, and they appointed their earliest converts, testing them by the Spirit, to be the bishops and deacons of future believers. Nor was this a novelty, for bishops and deacons had been written about a long time earlier. . . . Our apostles knew through our Lord Jesus Christ that there would be strife for the office of bishop. For this reason, therefore, having received perfect foreknowledge, they appointed those who have already been mentioned and afterwards added the further provision that, if they should die, other approved men should succeed to their ministry” (Letter to the Corinthians 42:4–5, 44:1–3 [A.D. 80]).
I have read the letter many times. I especially like

44:1 Our Apostles, too, by the instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ, knew that strife would arise concerning the dignity of a bishop;

44:2 and on this account, having received perfect foreknowledge, they appointed the above-mentioned as bishops and deacons: and then gave a rule of succession, in order that, when they had fallen asleep, other men, who had been approved, might succeed to their ministry.

Notice the continuity. As elders passed on, other men (plural) would be appointed. A plurality of elders were to oversee each congregation.

There’s your succession. It wasn’t a succession of apostles. It was to be a succession of elders. New elders and deacons would replace those who passed on. And their authority to oversee their congregation came through the words of Jesus. Elders were never to rule by their own self proclaimed authority.

The true church is overseen by a plurality of elders just as Jesus meant it to be.

Last edited by MissKate12; 01-09-2023 at 12:50 PM..

Old 01-09-2023, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
That's not possible since the New Testament had not yet been completed and/or definitively compiled in the time of Clement.
The New Testament had not only been completed, but the various manuscripts had been copied again and again, circulated and read amongst the congregations all before the close of the first century. That is fact!

Old 01-09-2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
I have read the letter many times. I especially like

44:1 Our Apostles, too, by the instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ, knew that strife would arise concerning the dignity of a bishop;

44:2 and on this account, having received perfect foreknowledge, they appointed the above-mentioned as bishops and deacons: and then gave a rule of succession, in order that, when they had fallen asleep, other men, who had been approved, might succeed to their ministry.

Notice the continuity. As elders passed on, other men (plural) would be appointed. A plurality of elders were to oversee each congregation.

There’s your succession. New elders and deacons would replace those who passed on. And their authority to oversee their congregation came through the words of Jesus. Elders were never to rule by their own self proclaimed authority.

The true church is overseen by a plurality of elders just as Jesus meant it to be.
So do you believe that all church authority is congregational; or is there a higher authority outside each individual congregation?

Old 01-09-2023, 04:04 PM

130 posts, read 43,723 times
Hi. I'm new here. I read the first handful of posts. I'm 56 and spent the first 50 as a Catholic, a Catholic that didn't know enough of the Bible.

I have come to believe in "sola scriptura" in that what is in the Bible is complete and sufficient for salvation.

The RCC, of course, does not believe in nor practice sola scriptura. What that says to me is that the RCC believes that Christ's mission, message, and sacrifice on the cross were incomplete and that the RCC is needed to add onto all of the things that Christ and/or the Bible authors omitted.

This is one of a number of reasons that I am now a non-denominational Christian.

Old 01-09-2023, 04:07 PM

Quote:
So do you believe that all church authority is congregational; or is there a higher authority outside each individual congregation?
All authority comes from Christ. There is no authority higher than Jesus or His word. He is King of Kings, Lord of Lords. The elders of each congregation are to oversee their flocks according to what was handed down from Christ to His apostles.

The Scriptures teach that the Elders do have authority in their congregation.

“Let the elders who rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially those who labour in the word and doctrine’’ (1 Tim 5:17)

“Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account. Let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you.” (Hebrews 13:17)

Neither the apostles had/have absolute authority (unlimited power or authority). Neither the apostles nor elders then or now have the authority to change what has been laid out in God’s word. Absolute authority begins and ends with Christ.

Paul wrote, “ Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.” (1 Cor. 11:1)

Elders of each local congregation (then and now) had/have the authority to teach God’s word. They have the authority to determine what works the congregation will be involved in. They have the authority to watch over the souls of their members. They have the authority to discipline. They DO NOT have authority to change, add or take away the doctrine of Christ.

The elders had/have no authority over other congregations, not then, not now.

Acts 20:17& 28 “17 From Miletus he sent to Ephesus and called to him the elders of the church.” Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood

1 Peter 5:1 – 3.
“Therefore, I exhort the elders among you, as your fellow elder and witness of the sufferings of Christ, and a partaker also of the glory that is to be revealed, 2 shepherd the flock of God among you, exercising oversight not under compulsion, but voluntarily, according to the will of God; and not for sordid gain, but with eagerness; 3 nor yet as lording it over those allotted to your charge, but proving to be examples to the flock.

Old 01-09-2023, 04:24 PM

43,146 posts, read 18,306,779 times
Quote:
Several organized religions think so but not all.
And those were rules made outside of the Bible.

Old 01-09-2023, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struggling Christian View Post
Hi. I'm new here. I read the first handful of posts. I'm 56 and spent the first 50 as a Catholic, a Catholic that didn't know enough of the Bible.

I have come to believe in "sola scriptura" in that what is in the Bible is complete and sufficient for salvation.

The RCC, of course, does not believe in nor practice sola scriptura. What that says to me is that the RCC believes that Christ's mission, message, and sacrifice on the cross were incomplete and that the RCC is needed to add onto all of the things that Christ and/or the Bible authors omitted.

This is one of a number of reasons that I am now a non-denominational Christian.
Excellent! You sound like me 45 years ago. I was raised in Catholicism and educated in a Catholic school. Once I was exposed to the Scriptures, I saw many discrepancies between Catholic teachings and God’s word. I left Catholicism and have been with a non denominational church since. I, too, believe in and follow Scripture alone.

Old 01-09-2023, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struggling Christian View Post

Your conclusion doesn't follow at all. Jesus did not write anything that we know of, so all of His teachings - the entire deposit of Faith - were passed on orally to His Apostles. The Apostles handed them down to their successors and so on. The Catholic Church has safeguarded and promoted these teachings from the very beginning.

Everything taught by the Catholic Church was in fact taught by Christ Himself. Read the ending to the Gospel of John. It says that all the books in the world (that includes the Bible) could not contain all that Jesus said and did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity