Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2022, 05:08 PM

4,085 posts, read 872,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Yes.

Pope John XXIII convened Vatican II on October 11, 1962, and Pope Paul VI closed it on December 8, 1965.

Here's an overview of Vatican II from the Vatican News, the official news outlet of the Holy See.

https://www.vaticannews.va/en/vatica...ackground.html
You tried to remove John Paul II from the importance of the second vatican II.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2022, 05:26 PM

1,339 posts, read 650,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I still recall that even the denomination with the Upper-Case "C" still stands for or means: Universal.
Can you shed any more light on the meaning with the capital letter "C" _________
It's for formality. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

It's like a restaurant name or a store name or a business name or the name of a person. You write "John", not "john". You write "Home Depot", not "home depot".

The word "catholic" is the only word I know of that becomes more than just an adjective when capitalized unless there are other words.

Old 12-20-2022, 07:09 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,936,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Please provide an example.
Mary was taken body and soul into heaven - on November 1 1950.

Old 12-21-2022, 09:00 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
As far as I am aware of, yes. Do you have any scriptures that states that "the church" is Catholic (uppercase C)?
Of course the word "catholic" is not used in the Bible. However, Christ commanded His disciples to go out and make disciples of all nations. This makes the Church universal. The society of the New Covenant (the Church) is not confined to one nation, as the society of the Old Covenant (Israel) was. There is neither Jew nor Gentile, slave nor free, etc.

Old 12-21-2022, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Mary was taken body and soul into heaven - on November 1 1950.
You are claiming that prior to November 1, 1950, it was official Catholic doctrine that Mary was NOT taken body and soul into heaven; and this teaching was reversed on November 1, 1950?

Where do you see that the Church definitively taught that Mary was NOT taken body and soul into heaven prior to that date?

Old 12-21-2022, 12:51 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
You are claiming that prior to November 1, 1950, it was official Catholic doctrine that Mary was NOT taken body and soul into heaven; and this teaching was reversed on November 1, 1950?

Where do you see that the Church definitively taught that Mary was NOT taken body and soul into heaven prior to that date?
Don't be pedantic, Mike. The relevant fact is that it was NOT taught as doctrine prior to 1950.

Old 12-21-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Don't be pedantic, Mike. The relevant fact is that it was NOT taught as doctrine prior to 1950.
It most certainly was taught! St. Epiphanius was writing about her Assumption as early as the 4th century.

Though you're correct that it was not taught in a binding, doctrinal sense. The only difference after 1950 is that Catholics are now required to believe it under pain of mortal sin, while before they were free to believe or disbelieve it.

Old 12-22-2022, 08:42 AM

1,339 posts, read 650,345 times
Quote:
Of course the word "catholic" is not used in the Bible. However, Christ commanded His disciples to go out and make disciples of all nations. This makes the Church universal. The society of the New Covenant (the Church) is not confined to one nation, as the society of the Old Covenant (Israel) was. There is neither Jew nor Gentile, slave nor free, etc.
Agreed, the church is described as universal. But that does not mean it is labeled as "Catholic". Jesus did not label His church. He did not say "And the church will be Catholic" or "And this church will be XYZ". A church is a religious building, a place of worship. View His church from a non-Catholic perspective without any of the rules that the Vatican enforces on to the Catholic community. Your perspective will change a bit. There is a difference between the "Catholic church" that the Augustine of Hippo labeled it as and the "church" that Jesus build and told Peter to lead.

Old 12-22-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Agreed, the church is described as universal. But that does not mean it is labeled as "Catholic". Jesus did not label His church. He did not say "And the church will be Catholic" or "And this church will be XYZ".
It did not become necessary to label Christ's Church as "Catholic" until false sects began to emerge using the name "church". It then became imperative to distinguish false "churches" from the True Church. The True Church has been labeled "Catholic" ever since.

Quote:
A church is a religious building, a place of worship.
That is only one meaning of the word.

Quote:
View His church from a non-Catholic perspective without any of the rules that the Vatican enforces on to the Catholic community. Your perspective will change a bit.
I am a convert to Catholicism, so I *lived* that perspective my whole life prior to my conversion.

Quote:
There is a difference between the "Catholic church" that the Augustine of Hippo labeled it as and the "church" that Jesus build and told Peter to lead.
What is the difference?

Old 12-22-2022, 10:22 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,263,470 times
Quote:
In response to BaptistFundie's above post, I reject your assertion that "the RCC does not follow Peter's and the rest of the apostles' teachings. There is no indication that much of what the RCC teaches today was believed by them."

I see nothing in Catholicism that contradicts Scripture, and there is plenty of indication that the Catholic religion is the religion of the Apostles.

Unless you want to be more specific, that's really all I can say in response.
Any teaching or practice of the RCC that is NOT found in God’s word is based on the teachings of men, and not given by inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Therefore, it is false teaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity