Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2023, 02:04 PM

1,339 posts, read 652,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
You had also asked Kathryn about my conversion to Catholicism.

I posted a very brief version of it here, and would be happy to share a link to the longer version with you if you're interested. Just DM me.
Sure, I'd be interested.

Quote:
To make a long story short, we came to the conclusion that in order to be faithful to Christ, we had to formally join His Church, the Catholic Church, so we did.

My very eloquent wife wrote up a more detailed story of our conversion from her perspective, and I'd be happy to share it through DM for anyone who is interested.
As someone who lives in a family where our beliefs are strongly divided (my dad is Lutheran - ELCA, my brother is a strong supporter of Lutheran - LCMS, and both my mom and wife are devoted Catholics), I am always interested to learn more but my core belief is that we have to stick to the bible as closely as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2023, 02:16 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
my core belief is that we have to stick to the bible as closely as possible.
Sure; but this begs some questions:

1) a) Where did the Bible come from / how did it come about?
b) What is its purpose?

2) Which came first: the Church or the Bible?

Old 01-03-2023, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Sure; but this begs some questions:

1) a) Where did the Bible come from / how did it come about?
b) What is its purpose?

2) Which came first: the Church or the Bible?
great questions! I can take a guess at #2. 1a and #2....I'm sure the answer might be not so simple and might be something I would have to study more on. But I know the church came before the bible. Correct me if I am wrong but the ability to write did not exist when Peter and Jesus built the first Church.

Old 01-03-2023, 02:37 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,789,989 times
Quote:
great questions! I can take a guess at #2. 1a and #2....I'm sure the answer might be not so simple and might be something I would have to study more on. But I know the church came before the bible. Correct me if I am wrong but the ability to write did not exist when Peter and Jesus built the first Church.
Not true. Writing systems had been in existence since long before Jesus. Even Jesus sometimes began a sentence with the words, "Have you not read...?"

Old 01-03-2023, 02:56 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,692,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Not true. Writing systems had been in existence since long before Jesus. Even Jesus sometimes began a sentence with the words, "Have you not read...?"
Yep……. Obviously the Hebrews, Romans, Greeks, Egyptians, etc were very adept at writing and language because we have the records of it preserved

Old 01-03-2023, 03:16 PM

332 posts, read 84,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Correct! It was not done! Not on a large scale anyway.

However, it can be done, and I believe that throughout history there have been small groups of people who have successfully restored Christianity to the way Jesus intended it to be.

It can be done by doing what the Holy Spirit directed in the New Testament. He tells us what we must do to be saved. He tells us how to worship. He tells us how to live a life pleasing to God. Do these things, and you will restore Christianity (at least on a small scale) the way God intended it to be. It’s simple, really. Just get back to the Bible!

It’s kind of like finding a two-thousand year old cake recipe. If you follow it, using the same ingredients, temperature and measurements, you will end up with the same cake that was baked long ago.
I like your analogy, but who can put all the right ingredients together?

What is the right flavor? Is there one cake with three flavors? Or was it three cakes with one flavor? How may eggs? Are these eggs literal eggs or figurative eggs? How much flour, sugar and salt. Must the flour be qluten free flour? Can anyone bake the cake? Or must the baker have proper authority? Is it totally immersed in frosting or is sprinkling ok?

Who has the 2000 year old recipe?

Old 01-03-2023, 03:31 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtolympus View Post
I like your analogy, but who can put all the right ingredients together?

What is the right flavor? Is there one cake with three flavors? Or was it three cakes with one flavor? How may eggs? Are these eggs literal eggs or figurative eggs? How much flour, sugar and salt. Must the flour be qluten free flour? Can anyone bake the cake? Or must the baker have proper authority? Is it totally immersed in frosting or is sprinkling ok?

Who has the 2000 year old recipe?
The answer is in this thread.

Old 01-03-2023, 04:09 PM

63,795 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Sure, I'd be interested.
As someone who lives in a family where our beliefs are strongly divided (my dad is Lutheran - ELCA, my brother is a strong supporter of Lutheran - LCMS, and both my mom and wife are devoted Catholics), I am always interested to learn more but my core belief is that we have to stick to the bible as closely as possible.
The bold saddens me so much because it is Jesus that we have to stick closely to, NOT the Bible! The barbaric Bible would have you stone people for things for Pete's sake!! We are to learn about Jesus and what HE is like to know God and what HE is like, NOT what our primitive ancestors' believed God was like!!

Old 01-03-2023, 04:13 PM

43,076 posts, read 18,246,291 times
In the beginning...there was only one "christianity" and it was considered a Jewish sect of Judaism.

But over the years mortal men interpreted the Bible differently and today we now have more than 45,000 Christian denominations all over the world.

But you know what ? We all have the same God and we're all marching to the same pearly gates regardless of which path you follow. Who is right ? Well we all are based on which Christian path we follow.

https://www.livescience.com/christia...minations.html
Followers of Jesus span the globe. But the global body of more than 2 billion Christians is separated into thousands of denominations. Pentecostal, Presbyterian, Lutheran, Baptist, Apostolic, Methodist — the list goes on. Estimations show there are more than 200 Christian denominations in the U.S. and a staggering 45,000 globally, according to the Center for the Study of Global Christianity (opens in new tab).

Old 01-03-2023, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Well brings up another question: did Jesus's followers write things down while He was still alive? I find it hard to believe that they started writing 40 years after the death of Jesus and they wrote with such detail.

This makes it very important to know how the bible was created. Were the books of the bible written during the life of Jesus and only "published" years after His death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The bold saddens me so much because it is Jesus that we have to stick closely to, NOT the Bible! The barbaric Bible would have you stone people for things for Pete's sake!! We are to learn about Jesus and what HE is like to know God and what HE is like, NOT what our primitive ancestors' believed God was like!!
That depends on how you read the bible. Are you against the bible? Do you dislike the writings of Jesus's disciples? Do you think the bible is filled with false stories?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity