Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 02:19 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOldSpike View Post
In Gethsemane Jesus's human nature showed through when he was wracked with loneliness as his disciples fell asleep. Does God get lonely?

Then he showed natural human fear of crucifixion when he asked God to "take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done". Does God experience fear?

The moral is that although Jesus was imbued with the powerful holy spirit and was permanently logged onto God, he was still as human as anybody else and we love him all the more for it..
The problem I see is trying to read the Scriptures like you would a novel about solely past events

The gospels, the epistles, the revelation are not just stories about things that happened 2000 years ago

They are integral to the fulfillment of the OT prophecy over specific periods of time

And revelation tells us that the time was at hand

Rev 1:1**The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
Rev 1:2**Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.
Rev 1:3**Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2021, 02:27 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
In Gethsemane Jesus's human nature showed through when he was wracked with loneliness as his disciples fell asleep. Does God get lonely?
You seem to think He lacks feelings, but why?

(That's a great picture, by the way!)

Old 09-25-2021, 02:29 PM

234 posts, read 99,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
He did not claim to be God, it's what they were projecting on him, much like what you are doing to support your belief.
To clarify, i'm saying Jesus was not God, he was the son of God, just as God himself said..-

"This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased, listen to him" (Matt 17:5)

Anyway I don't think God and Jesus would really mind if some people think he wasn't God, and some think he was.

Old 09-25-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
He did not claim to be God, it's what they were projecting on him, much like what you are doing to support your belief.
But Jerwade, Jesus did say (in John 10:18) with regards to his own life: "No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again." What mere man, regardless of how good he might be, would have this power -- the power to prevent his life from being taken if He so desired, and the power to rise again after having died? True, the power had been given to Him by His Father, before the world began, but no mere human could do what He did -- through power that He held within Himself.

The fact that the Father had given Him this power is also a good indication that the Father is greater than the Son. This is something the early Christian creeds deny when they say they are "co-equal." The Son did His Father's will, never the other way around. The Son prayed to the Father; the Father never prayed to the Son. The Father knows when the Second Coming will be; the Son does not. Still if the scriptures say that "the Word was God," I have a hard time understanding the rationale behind people saying that He was just a good man and nothing more.

Old 09-25-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
To clarify, i'm saying Jesus was not God, he was the son of God, just as God himself said..-

"This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased, listen to him" (Matt 17:5)
Why could He not have been both "God" and "the Son of God."

I'm curious as to how you would interpret John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

Quote:
Anyway I don't think God and Jesus would really mind if some people think he wasn't God, and some think he was.
I suspect He's going to be a lot more understanding of us than we are with each other.

Old 09-25-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You seem to think He lacks feelings, but why?
God certainly experiences the emotion of love-
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16)

and anger-
"How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot,....it is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God" (Heb 10:29-31)

and even humour- "Like a scarecrow in a melon patch, their idols cannot speak; they must be carried because they cannot walk.." (Jeremiah 10:5)

But fear? Nah-
https://youtu.be/hNi-zQl4pKY

Old 09-25-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
God certainly experiences the emotion of love-
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16)

and anger-
"How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot,....it is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God" (Heb 10:29-31)

and even humour- "Like a scarecrow in a melon patch, their idols cannot speak; they must be carried because they cannot walk.." (Jeremiah 10:5)

But fear? Nah-
https://youtu.be/hNi-zQl4pKY
I believe that God is able to feel the entire range of human emotions. Otherwise He would not be able to feel compassion and empathy for us.

Old 09-25-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Why could He not have been both "God" and "the Son of God."

I'm curious as to how you would interpret John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

I suspect He's going to be a lot more understanding of us than we are with each other.

The Word has always existed, and so have we, for example God said to Jeremiah- "Before i formed you in the womb I knew you"

Old 09-25-2021, 02:50 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,068,723 times
Quote:
I mean, he made it clear many times that he wasn't God..
But maybe like Undercover Boss.

Old 09-25-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
The Word has always existed, and so have we, for example God said to Jeremiah- "Before i formed you in the womb I knew you"
I agree () that we have always existed, or that at least the essence of who we are has always existed, and not many Christians (relatively speaking, at least) believe that. Still, the scripture says, "The Word was God." What do you take that to mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity