Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2021, 10:46 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,393,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Man and woman become one via their offspring...That is what that means...
Yup i started a thread. On that awhile back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2021, 10:47 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
No such thing as the trinity. What you cant grasp is elohim which involves many distinct individuals.
And the Father is ontologically greater then all the others in the elohim.

Is the Father greater then us? According to you the answer would be no according to your above post for we to are a part of the elohim.
No, elohim does not refer to humans except for those who have died. Elohim is a place of residency term which refers to inhabitants of the spiritual realm. Elohim refers to Yahweh, to angels, to demons, to the spirits of humans who have died. It does not refer to humans who are physically alive.

Old Testament scholar Michael Heiser on the elohim.
So What Exactly is an Elohim?

It may surprise you, but there are other beings in the Old Testament
that are called elohim besides Yahweh and the gods of the divine council. Demons and
the spirits of the human dead are also called elohim in the Hebrew text! Angels may
also be called elohim, depending on how one takes a text or two. If we don’t come to
grips with just what an elohim is, it can create a lot of confusion. We can’t very well
have God, the gods, demons, angels, and the spirits of dead people all interchangeable
with respect to their attributes! That just makes no sense—and highlights why
understanding the term elohim as denoting a certain plane of existence is so critical to
getting the Bible’s worldview and its theology right.

https://www.thedivinecouncil.com/Wha...n%20Elohim.pdf
And God is indeed triune.

Old 09-26-2021, 10:49 AM

1,161 posts, read 467,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are the one accepting the irrationality of the claims you are making, BF, probably out of some misguided sense of obligation to defend the dogma you have been taught as a sign of your devotion and faith in God.
I do find it curious how many of the truly divisive Christian doctrines that are considered absolutely essential either (1) are found solely in the Gospel of John or the Book of Revelation and/or (2) have very thin biblical support and must be arrived at by "reading between the lines."

The Trinity is perhaps the prime example. The undeniable reality is, it isn't found unequivocally anywhere in the Bible. The reality is, Jesus did say many things suggesting he would have been aghast at being equated with the Father. I even find it curious how persistently Paul refers to "Our Father God and our Lord Jesus Christ."

The reality is, the doctrine of the Trinity was bitterly debated, fought over and negotiated for many centuries - far beyond the Council of Nicea. As I said, for one brief period the official position reverted from Trinitarianism to Arianism. As one Bishop famously said, "We all became Arians overnight!"

The reality is, the doctrine of the Trinity - even if you accept it - is intellectually incomprehensible to the point of being unhelpful. The Father "begat" the Son and the Spirit "proceeds" from the Father (and the Son, if that's your theology), but there was never a moment when all three didn't exist and they all have the fullness of God. Got that?

I was quite astonished to hear a theologian of the stature of William Lane Craig say, in his 12-part Defenders series on the Trinity, that there was no Father-Son relationship before the Incarnation. The Person we call the Father could have incarnated, and then he would've been the Son and the Son would have been the Father, or perhaps the Spirit. Got that?

And yet, acceptance of the Trinity is essential. You can't be a Christian if you don't believe the Trinity - whatever "believing the Trinity" may mean. Those cursed Jehovah's Witnesses merely believe Jesus was the firstborn of God's creation - and we all know where they're going to spend eternity for this error alone.

I find it almost unbelievable that any essential core Christian doctrine would not have been clearly and unequivocally set forth in the NT - and the Trinity simply isn't.

I really do think "some misguided sense of obligation to defend the dogma you have been taught as a sign of your devotion and faith in God" just about says it insofar as the Trinity is concerned. "I have no idea what it's even supposed to mean, but by God I believe it because I'm a Christian and I wouldn't be a Christian if I didn't at least say I believed it." Ergo, we have embarrassing pissing contests such as this thread, over and over.

One of the distressing things to me about much of Christianity is that the focus is so intensely on Jesus that the Father seems to have been lost. Some of the, er, devotion to Jesus is quite weird and almost sexual.

While I "accept" the Trinity as part of Christian orthodoxy, meaning that I at least don't actively reject it or disbelieve it, there is no way that I regard it as a Christian essential or think it adds much to the religion.

Old 09-26-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
No, elohim does not refer to humans except for those who have died. Elohim is a place of residency term which refers to inhabitants of the spiritual realm. Elohim refers to Yahweh, to angels, to demons, to the spirits of humans who have died. It does not refer to humans who are physically alive.

Old Testament scholar Michael Heiser on the elohim.
So What Exactly is an Elohim?

It may surprise you, but there are other beings in the Old Testament
that are called elohim besides Yahweh and the gods of the divine council. Demons and
the spirits of the human dead are also called elohim in the Hebrew text! Angels may
also be called elohim, depending on how one takes a text or two. If we don’t come to
grips with just what an elohim is, it can create a lot of confusion. We can’t very well
have God, the gods, demons, angels, and the spirits of dead people all interchangeable
with respect to their attributes! That just makes no sense—and highlights why
understanding the term elohim as denoting a certain plane of existence is so critical to
getting the Bible’s worldview and its theology right.

https://www.thedivinecouncil.com/Wha...n%20Elohim.pdf
And God is indeed triune.
You and your Scholars mike. Did you even bother to check out what he said or did you just swallow it because of who he is to you?

Scripture actually calls us elohim so that in itself tells me you and your Scholars are wrong.

Old 09-26-2021, 11:05 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,732 times
Quote:
Me too.

Old 09-26-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
I do find it curious how many of the truly divisive Christian doctrines that are considered absolutely essential either (1) are found solely in the Gospel of John or the Book of Revelation and/or (2) have very thin biblical support and must be arrived at by "reading between the lines."

The Trinity is perhaps the prime example. The undeniable reality is, it isn't found unequivocally anywhere in the Bible. The reality is, Jesus did say many things suggesting he would have been aghast at being equated with the Father. I even find it curious how persistently Paul refers to "Our Father God and our Lord Jesus Christ."

The reality is, the doctrine of the Trinity was bitterly debated, fought over and negotiated for many centuries - far beyond the Council of Nicea. As I said, for one brief period the official position reverted from Trinitarianism to Arianism. As one Bishop famously said, "We all became Arians overnight!"

The reality is, the doctrine of the Trinity - even if you accept it - is intellectually incomprehensible to the point of being unhelpful. The Father "begat" the Son and the Spirit "proceeds" from the Father (and the Son, if that's your theology), but there was never a moment when all three didn't exist and they all have the fullness of God. Got that?

I was quite astonished to hear a theologian of the stature of William Lane Craig say, in his 12-part Defenders series on the Trinity, that there was no Father-Son relationship before the Incarnation. The Person we call the Father could have incarnated, and then he would've been the Son and the Son would have been the Father, or perhaps the Spirit. Got that?

And yet, acceptance of the Trinity is essential. You can't be a Christian if you don't believe the Trinity - whatever "believing the Trinity" may mean. Those cursed Jehovah's Witnesses merely believe Jesus was the firstborn of God's creation - and we all know where they're going to spend eternity for this error alone.

I find it almost unbelievable that any essential core Christian doctrine would not have been clearly and unequivocally set forth in the NT - and the Trinity simply isn't.

I really do think "some misguided sense of obligation to defend the dogma you have been taught as a sign of your devotion and faith in God" just about says it insofar as the Trinity is concerned. "I have no idea what it's even supposed to mean, but by God I believe it because I'm a Christian and I wouldn't be a Christian if I didn't at least say I believed it." Ergo, we have embarrassing pissing contests such as this thread, over and over.

One of the distressing things to me about much of Christianity is that the focus is so intensely on Jesus that the Father seems to have been lost. Some of the, er, devotion to Jesus is quite weird and almost sexual.

While I "accept" the Trinity as part of Christian orthodoxy, meaning that I at least don't actively reject it or disbelieve it, there is no way that I regard it as a Christian essential or think it adds much to the religion.
Nice post. What is ironic is Jesus came to reveal the Father to us yet people have made an idol out of Jesus calling him both man and God. There is an OT set of scriptures that told us this would happen.

When the people looked unto the serpent on the tree they were healed. The serpent is in reference to Jesus on the cross.

So what happened after this took place?

Those same people who were healed made an idol out of the serpent on the tree.

And people today have done the same thing with Jesus declaring him to be the same as the Father.

Old 09-26-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
You and your Scholars mike. Did you even bother to check out what he said or did you just swallow it because of who he is to you?

Scripture actually calls us elohim so that in itself tells me you and your Scholars are wrong.
No, Scripture does not call us elohim. Jesus in John 10:34 quoted Psalm 82 which was referring to divine council members - angels, not men.

Take your own advice and check out what he said.

Old 09-26-2021, 11:43 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,150,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie
Jesus is God. Scripture says he is. But Scripture also says there is only one God. The only way to reconcile those statements is that God is Trinitarian.
Jesus is the Son of God. Scripture says he is. In the Bible Jesus says he has a God and not that he is God. Jesus also said God is greater than him.

"For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me."-John 6:38

He resided in heaven but who sent him? And, if he is God does Scripture say he came to do his own will?

We can reconcile Scriptures that seemingly contradict John 1:1 vs John 20:17,18 and John 14:28 by acknowledging that Jesus is divine, we pay obeisance to him. However, there is only one Almighty God.

Old 09-26-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Nice post. What is ironic is Jesus came to reveal the Father to us yet people have made an idol out of Jesus calling him both man and God. There is an OT set of scriptures that told us this would happen.

When the people looked unto the serpent on the tree they were healed. The serpent is in reference to Jesus on the cross.

So what happened after this took place?

Those same people who were healed made an idol out of the serpent on the tree.

And people today have done the same thing with Jesus declaring him to be the same as the Father.
Both John and Paul explicitly state that Jesus was God and became man.
John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. . . 14] And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us.
Philippians 2:5 Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, 6] who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7] but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. 8] Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.
God became man.

Old 09-26-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
No, Scripture does not call us elohim. Jesus in John 10:34 quoted Psalm 82 which was referring to divine council members - angels, not men.

Take your own advice and check out what he said.
Look at it in context mike nothing is said of it being referring to the divine council.

Jesus*answered*them,*Is it*not*written*in*your*law,*I*said,*Ye are*gods?

Was Jesus talking to the divine council here? NO, he was talking to those who knew the law.

If*he called*them*gods,*unto*whom*the word*of God*came,*and*the scripture*cannot*be broken;

Who did the word of God come to? a divine council or to man?

Say*ye*of him, whom*the Father*hath sanctified,*and*sent*into*the world,*Thou blasphemest;*because*I said,*I am*the Son*of God?

Who does Jesus claim to be? the son of God.

If*I do*not*the works*of my*Father,*believe*me*not.

Does Jesus do his own works or the works of his Father that sent him?

But*if*I do,*though*ye believe*not*me,*believe*the works:*that*ye may know,*and*believe,*that*the Father*is*in*me,*and I*in*him.

now is Jesus saying he is the Father or is he saying the Father is IN him and he is IN the Father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity