Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 08:16 PM

22,233 posts, read 19,245,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I agree that we chose to be here, but I believe we were given that choice by God, which is why I put it that way. It was His proposal and every one of us agreed that it was for the best. So, I would have to say that I chose to come here for the same reason that God chose to make that a possibility -- so that I could learn to love my fellow human beings as I already loved Him and that, in so doing, I could enjoy eternal life as He does. (Sort of off-topic here, but do you actually believe we had a pre-mortal existence?)
the thing about "eternal" is that by its very definition it has no beginning and no end.
so if something is eternal (anything; not talking about this or that theology, just the bare bones basic definition of eternal anything) if something is eternal and has no end, it also has no beginning. if a soul exists after death, then the soul exists before birth.

otherwise, it's not eternal.

it's like when we are kids learning math. first we learn a few numbers, how to count to 10, count to 100. then we learn numbers go on and on and never end. then we learn that numbers don't just go on and on in one direction (1, 2, 3...) , but in both directions. (-1, -2, -3...)

eternal goes in both directions. if it doesn't then its not eternal.
again, not addressing theology. just basic logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2021, 09:12 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the thing about "eternal" is that by its very definition it has no beginning and no end.
so if something is eternal (anything; not talking about this or that theology, just the bare bones basic definition of eternal anything) if something is eternal and has no end, it also has no beginning. if a soul exists after death, then the soul exists before birth.

otherwise, it's not eternal.

it's like when we are kids learning math. first we learn a few numbers, how to count to 10, count to 100. then we learn numbers go on and on and never end. then we learn that numbers don't just go on and on in one direction (1, 2, 3...) , but in both directions. (-1, -2, -3...)

eternal goes in both directions. if it doesn't then its not eternal.
again, not addressing theology. just basic logic.
Agreed.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:59 PM

8,181 posts, read 6,933,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Thanks, sparrow. I love your posts. Glad to see you posting. I have often wished this to be true because of the horrendous evil and suffering in this world - a virtual reality spiritual "boot camp." I hope it is something like that.
virtual reality spiritual boot camp! hmmm, maybe we could get that on some video game system or something.... or wait. Maybe we are IN a video game right now...
just kidding. But yeah, for me, it makes life make a lot more sense.
Hope you're doing well. I know I only pop in here every once in a great while to see what's going on.
Katzpur's thread caught my eye, for sure.

Old 10-17-2021, 08:28 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,479,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Consciousness in and of itself is a miracle. So is freewill. Those two combine for an experience. There is a beauty in it and a value in it.

We will receive tests in this experience that is life and it is important that we recognize the value of life in general so that we promote life and alleviate the sufferings of others.

As Jesus said, if we love our neighbor...serve him or her...all of the other laws fall into place.

Also, remember, that life may have down times, but there is a bit of God in all of us, an inner light, a divine spark. God is in the light and in the energy around us. He is always there and will always be there.
If we all, every one of us worldwide, put others before ourselves, we would not know war. There would be no crime. We would not have need of prisons or police. No need for lawyers and courts. It's really amazing when you start to think about it.

I can't explain why we're here. I only know there's a reason for it. Maybe that reason isn't for us to understand just yet.

Old 10-23-2021, 01:53 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,974,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
If we all, every one of us worldwide, put others before ourselves, we would not know war. There would be no crime. We would not have need of prisons or police. No need for lawyers and courts. It's really amazing when you start to think about it.
I can't explain why we're here. I only know there's a reason for it. Maybe that reason isn't for us to understand just yet.
Yes, if everyone applied or lived by the Golden Rule there would be No wars.
Why we are here is for the praise of God's glory - Ephesians 1:12; Ephesians 2:7.
Jesus comes to 'save' (deliver / rescue) right-hearted people, humble meek people, to inherit the Earth - Psalm 37:9-11.
This is a reason why we are all invited to pray the invitation of Rev. 22:20 for Jesus to come!
Come and undo all the damage Satan and Adam brought upon humanity.
Come and bring ' healing ' to earth's nations as per Rev. 22:2.
Healing to the point that No one will say, " I am sick...." - Isaiah 33:24.
Earth and its people will be healthy as described in Isaiah 35th chapter.
Even ' enemy death ' will be No more on Earth - 1st Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8

Old 10-23-2021, 02:01 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,974,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
so if something is eternal (anything; not talking about this or that theology, just the bare bones basic definition of eternal anything) if something is eternal and has no end, it also has no beginning. if a soul exists after death, then the soul exists before birth. otherwise, it's not eternal.
it's like when we are kids learning math. first we learn a few numbers, how to count to 10, count to 100. then we learn numbers go on and on and never end. then we learn that numbers don't just go on and on in one direction (1, 2, 3...) , but in both directions. (-1, -2, -3...) eternal goes in both directions. if it doesn't then its not eternal. again, not addressing theology. just basic logic.
Yes, I find God is eternal ( No beginning No end ) according to Psalm 90:2.
I find there was No further existence, No further life, for dead Adam just 'returning ' to where he started - Gen. 3:19
A person can Not ' return' to a place he never was before.
Life-less Adam did Not come to life until his God breathed the ' breath of life ' into life-less Adam.- Gen. 2:7
So, Adam went from non-life, to life, and simply returned back to non-life.
Sinner Adam died or as Ezekiel 18:4,20 says the soul that sins dies. No immortal soul.
There was No post-mortem penalty for dead Adam, No double jeopardy for dead Adam, just the dust where Adam started.

Old 10-23-2021, 02:31 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Okay, but I don't really see how that explains what His reason was for putting us here in the first place. Maybe I just missed something. I mean yes, He saw His creation as "good" but good for what purpose ultimately?
Spiritual procreation.

Old 10-23-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Spiritual procreation.
Would you mind elaborating? I'm not sure what you're trying to get at.

Old 10-23-2021, 07:08 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Spiritual procreation.
Quote:
Would you mind elaborating? I'm not sure what you're trying to get at.
I can, but given your rather strong conditioning to physical existence and physical resurrection, it may just be unacceptable or at the very least largely incomprehensible. In my view, God is panentheistic. He IS everything we think of as our Reality. What the Hubble telescope sees are the immanent physical and measurable aspects of God's body and the expanding spacetime is God's transcendent consciousness and reflects the spiritual growth of a living Spirit.

That may not be remotely compatible with the Mormon concept of God, but living beings are defined by their reproduction or procreation. We and our solar system are parts of God's reproductive system for the procreation of His Spirit (consciousness) or the transcendent 95+% of our Reality that is immaterial and unmeasurable. In other words, we are contributing to the expanding spacetime along with uncounted sentient species on uncounted solar systems throughout the observable Cosmos if not beyond.

Old 10-23-2021, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I can, but given your rather strong conditioning to physical existence and physical resurrection, it may just be unacceptable or at the very least largely incomprehensible. In my view, God is panentheistic. He IS everything we think of as our Reality. What the Hubble telescope sees are the immanent physical and measurable aspects of God's body and the expanding spacetime is God's transcendent consciousness and reflects the spiritual growth of a living Spirit.

That may not be remotely compatible with the Mormon concept of God, but living beings are defined by their reproduction or procreation. We and our solar system are parts of God's reproductive system for the procreation of His Spirit (consciousness) or the transcendent 95+% of our Reality that is immaterial and unmeasurable. In other words, we are contributing to the expanding spacetime along with uncounted sentient species on uncounted solar systems throughout the observable Cosmos if not beyond.
Well, thanks for trying anyway. Anyway, as I see it, God is a living being and we are His spirit offspring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity