Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 08:26 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,171,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Oh no? It looks to me like you're obviously running what I refer to as the "get off my lawn" program.
? Que? I have absolutely no idea what you were trying to say there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2021, 08:32 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
? Que? I have absolutely no idea what you were trying to say there!
If you care to look back at the exchange. You brought up previous generations rolling up their sleeves while now we bellyache.

Last edited by L8Gr8Apost8; 10-06-2021 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: get off my lawn before I spray you with a garden hose

Old 10-06-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
If you care to look back at the exchange. You brought up previous generations rolling up their sleeves while now we bellyache.
Yeah, previous generations, previous eras of America, previous centuries, 21 century vs 20th century (or 19th century), whatever, take your pick. It's still about groups of Americans from the past vs. now.

Old 10-06-2021, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Yeah, previous generations, previous eras of America, previous centuries, 21 century vs 20th century (or 19th century), whatever, take your pick. It's still about groups of Americans from the past vs. now.

I'm guilty of problems now as well as others, but at least try to see that, and try to be part of the solutions rather than problems. Others have no need for that, and instead of feeding the mind need to feed the inner idiot.
Quote:
“Whither are the manly vigour and athletic appearance of our forefathers flown? Can these be their legitimate heirs? Surely, no; a race of effeminate, self-admiring, emaciated fribbles can never have descended in a direct line from the heroes of Potiers and Agincourt...”
Letter in Town and Country magazine republished in Paris Fashion: A Cultural History, 1771

“We defy anyone who goes about with his eyes open to deny that there is, as never before, an attitude on the part of young folk which is best described as grossly thoughtless, rude, and utterly selfish.”
The Conduct of Young People, Hull Daily Mail, 1925

“[Young people] are high-minded because they have not yet been humbled by life, nor have they experienced the force of circumstances.”
Rhetoric, Aristotle, 4th Century
This time is not different. You are not having some insight. You are running a program.

Old 10-06-2021, 08:49 PM

O-kay. And the common thread in two of the three above is "young people". So, someone like me pushing 60 is one of the "young people"? Right, sure, a huh. Adios, I've got better ways to spend my time...

Old 10-06-2021, 09:16 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,362,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euskalherria View Post
The world is chock-FULL with disaster and misery. Whether it's from Hiroshima/Nagasaki... right down to George Floyd. Tragedy...from 'big' to 'small'... all there. ALL tragedies... not at all dismissing any of them.

Again, who initiates these acts? Not The Good, I would think. So, again, who is 'running the show' here?
Hiroshima was caused by the Japanese attacking Oearl Harbor. George Floyd was committing a crime by passing out counterfeit money. Both Igor those incidents were caused by the people involved. If the first party did not do what they did, nothing would have happened, just like to the billions of people around the world, whose lives went on uneventful for the most part. Actions have consequences. So, those are easily explainable. In both cases, the bad party caused their own fate.

Old 10-06-2021, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Hiroshima was caused by the Japanese attacking Oearl Harbor. George Floyd was committing a crime by passing out counterfeit money. Both Igor those incidents were caused by the people involved. If the first party did not do what they did, nothing would have happened, just like to the billions of people around the world, whose lives went on uneventful for the most part. Actions have consequences. So, those are easily explainable. In both cases, the bad party caused their own fate.
That's a defense mechanism people use to feel safe in an unsafe world. It's called the just-world hypothesis. When we see something bad happen to someone we think they must have done something to deserve it. Good things happen to good people and bad things happen to bad people and all is right in the world. I defy you to look at those pictures of those burned bodies and say they had it coming. I'll avoid the other so we don't venture into politics.

Old 10-06-2021, 09:56 PM

1,483 posts, read 685,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Did George Floyd KNOWINGLY pass a phony 20-dollar note. Advance apologies, as I live in France, but I do not recall that during the trial. If that was proven, my apologies.

Edit: Hiroshima - and Nagasaki - was the result of America not desiring a ground invasion of Japan, which would have resulted in catastrophic loss of both American and Japanese lives... not directly about Pearl Harbor. And also... to telegraph a message to the Soviet Union.

Last edited by Euskalherria; 10-06-2021 at 10:26 PM..

Old 10-07-2021, 04:44 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,366,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
What do you believe God put us here for? Why did He create millions of mortals who would have to go through this confusing, frightening and sometimes very painful existence? I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Imagine being a being dwelling with God but not knowing what it is like to ever suffer? We choose to come to this holographic world for accelerated learning. If we are to be one with God one day, we have a lot of learning to do. This world with all the pain, death, misery, etc....look at how many people contemplate suicide. This is not a easy place by design.

You can read all the books on how to drive a car and pass every written test but until you drive it....to me, this is the moral of the story.

Old 10-07-2021, 05:46 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,801,153 times
God is establishing for Himself a people who love Him back. They will live with Him in paradise, forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity