Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 06:04 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,337,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euskalherria View Post
*after seeing 'Threads' for the umpteenth time*

How will 'controlled and rational thinking' get anyone of us through that? And on top of that...

When I saw the 150KT warhead annihilate RAF Finningley and nearby Doncaster, I mused - out loud - "Where is God? Hmmm... Must be out to lunch..."
This is Christianity so maybe this gets deleted but I really liked what this guy had to say about overcoming suffering, hate, and those types of things.

//www.city-data.com/forum/buddh...n-buddhas.html

Also, you might be giving too much credit to the haters out there. I was listening to something about dark triad people and the light triad was brought up. The vast majority of people tend toward the light.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...f-personality/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
^ Well, you can have two people in the same situation, and one is able to not let their emotions overshadow them and interfere with thinking and action; while the second is a willing emotional puppet, allowing themselves to be swung by anything and everything around them. The difference between the two is choice; one choosing wisely, the other choosing foolishly.

No one wants to take personal responsibility any more, and blames everyone and everything but his/her self (exactly where it belongs). That's the biggest sickness around, way beyond COVID. Instead of acknowledging the problem and facing it head-on, people are aiding and facilitating its growth.

The blame-game off and away from oneself will result in no improvement in life, and instead speed up our decay and downfall.
I think free will is largely an illusion. None of us had any say in how we are wired or which experiences we had that shaped us. We mostly run on programming and I'm including even those of us who know that so we try to override it with metacognition.

Old 10-06-2021, 06:10 PM

1,483 posts, read 685,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
This is Christianity so maybe this gets deleted but I really liked what this guy had to say about overcoming suffering, hate, and those types of things.

http:////www.city-data.com/forum/bud...n-buddhas.html

Also, you might be giving too much credit to the haters out there. I was listening to something about dark triad people and the light triad was brought up. The vast majority of people tend toward the light.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...f-personality/
But who REALLY is in control? Additionally, the minority can easily erase the majority - especially in the scenario I presented.

Why is it that The Good allow The Evil to be in charge? From my POV, it sure seems that way. There is Evil within the church even... I'm sure you've heard the recent news from France?

Old 10-06-2021, 06:11 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,171,699 times
Quote:
...We mostly run on programming and I'm including even those of us who know that so we try to override it ...
You're absolutely right about that. Gurdjieff talked about how automated most of humanity is, and likened it to continuous sleep; i.e. sleeping while even awake and supposedly conscious. But yes, it can be overriden. It's takes much effort and conscious attention, but is possible, and worth every bit of effort.

Old 10-06-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
But who REALLY is in control? Additionally, the minority can easily erase the majority - especially in the scenario I presented.

Why is it that The Good allow The Evil to be in charge? From my POV, it sure seems that way. There is Evil within the church even... I'm sure you've heard the recent news from France?
If you're doing the good vs evil thing I would suggest backing way way up. I say that because I was taught to see the world that way and it's something called "splitting". It's a recipe for disaster and misery. It caused me lots of problems so when I see someone else doing it I try and point it out. Things aren't always what they appear to be and all that. I think it's about connection. The majority of people are like that despite what stories there are floating around and maybe some even floating around your head.

Old 10-06-2021, 07:01 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,171,699 times
Quote:
If you're doing the good vs evil thing I would suggest backing way way up. I say that because I was taught to see the world that way and it's something called "splitting". It's a recipe for disaster and misery. It caused me lots of problems so when I see someone else doing it I try and point it out. Things aren't always what they appear to be and all that. I think it's about connection. The majority of people are like that despite what stories there are floating around and maybe some even floating around your head.

Old 10-06-2021, 07:02 PM

Quote:
The world is chock-FULL with disaster and misery. Whether it's from Hiroshima/Nagasaki... right down to George Floyd. Tragedy...from 'big' to 'small'... all there. ALL tragedies... not at all dismissing any of them.

Again, who initiates these acts? Not The Good, I would think. So, again, who is 'running the show' here?

Old 10-06-2021, 07:04 PM

How many did it take to orchestrate The Holocaust... and how many lives did it claim?

Old 10-06-2021, 07:11 PM

Quote:
How many did it take to orchestrate The Holocaust... and how many lives did it claim?
When I said it's about the connection the first connection you have to have is to yourself. Some people call that connection God and to some people God is outside of themselves. Without that, you really don't stand much of a chance. Maybe therapy could help you link back up.

Old 10-06-2021, 07:16 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
I think free will is largely an illusion. None of us had any say in how we are wired or which experiences we had that shaped us. We mostly run on programming and I'm including even those of us who know that so we try to override it with metacognition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
You're absolutely right about that. Gurdjieff talked about how automated most of humanity is, and likened it to continuous sleep; i.e. sleeping while even awake and supposedly conscious. But yes, it can be overriden. It's takes much effort and conscious attention, but is possible, and worth every bit of effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity