Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 07:23 PM

1,483 posts, read 685,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
When I said it's about the connection the first connection you have to have is to yourself. Some people call that connection God and to some people God is outside of themselves. Without that, you really don't stand much of a chance. Maybe therapy could help you link back up.
No 'mortal' can give me any 'therapy' I may or may not 'need' as I would imagine most 'mortals' do not have the slightest clue to what I am referring to here.

Not to toot my horn... but perhaps I should have written one of the books of The Bible... because it seems to totally be devoid of which I speak.

Perhaps all of it, come to think of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2021, 07:27 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
^ Well, you can have two people in the same situation, and one is able to not let their emotions overshadow them and interfere with thinking and action; while the second is a willing emotional puppet, allowing themselves to be swung by anything and everything around them. The difference between the two is choice; one choosing wisely, the other choosing foolishly.

No one wants to take personal responsibility any more, and blames everyone and everything but his/her self (exactly where it belongs). That's the biggest sickness around, way beyond COVID. Instead of acknowledging the problem and facing it head-on, people are aiding and facilitating its growth.

The blame-game off and away from oneself will result in no improvement in life, and instead speed up our decay and downfall.

What are we doing here? Ignoring our biggest problems, feeding false issues, avoiding personal responsibility, living in denial, and promoting a world of dysfunction. That's the legacy already visible around us.

Old 10-06-2021, 07:48 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
No matter what what's going on around us, we have to be in control of our thinking. That's basic humanity 101.

Take a look at a severe example: being a prisoner of Nazi war camp, and how controlled and rational thinking got someone through it all. I'm referring to the excellent book "Man's Search For Meaning".

We have nothing like that gentleman / author faced, so we have no excuses.
I agree that attitude makes a lot of difference, but for people suffering with clinical depression, it's hard to even be in control of their thinking. And I honestly can't even begin to fathom the kind of lives so many in the world have to endure.

Old 10-06-2021, 07:58 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,174,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I agree that attitude makes a lot of difference, but for people suffering with clinical depression, it's hard to even be in control of their thinking. And I honestly can't even begin to fathom the kind of lives so many in the world have to endure.
Yeah, but what kind of percentages of the population are you talking about? 5%?... 50%?... 80%?

We've got people artificially elevating the levels, then using the bogus levels to say it's widespread, and that absolutely nothing be done. All that's left is talking about how awful things are, which we now see as a full-time activity. And millions follow the junk daily. What are the latest problems? What do the "experts" (ha!) say? Who's most miserable? Blah blah blah.

We've become a nation of bellyachers and babies. Any other generation would have long ago rolled up it's sleeves and got to work, focused entirely on solutions. That's what separates us from the productive persons that made our country strong in healthier times. And that was with much less information, less resources, less options. They still vastly outdid us.

The world isn't different; we're different, and too stupid to see it or admit it.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 10-06-2021 at 08:08 PM..

Old 10-06-2021, 08:08 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Yeah, but what kind of percentages of the population are you talking about? 5%?... 50%?... 80%?

We've got people artificially elevating the levels, then using the bogus levels to say it's widespread, and that absolutely nothing be done. All that's left is talking about how awful things are, which we now see as a full-time activity. And millions follow the junk daily. What are the latest problems? What do the "experts" (ha!) say? Who's most miserable? Blah blah blah.

We've become a nation of bellyachers and babies. Any other generation would have long ago rolled up it's sleeves and got to work, focused entirely on solutions. That's what separates us from the productive persons that made our country strong in healthier times. And that was with much less information, less resources, less options. They still vastly outdid us. The world isn't different; we're different, but too stupid to see it or admit it.

Old 10-06-2021, 08:11 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,337,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euskalherria View Post
No 'mortal' can give me any 'therapy' I may or may not 'need' as I would imagine most 'mortals' do not have the slightest clue to what I am referring to here.

Not to toot my horn... but perhaps I should have written one of the books of The Bible... because it seems to totally be devoid of which I speak.

Perhaps all of it, come to think of it.
Odd comment coming from someone who is secular.

Old 10-06-2021, 08:13 PM

Quote:

We've become a nation of bellyachers and babies. Any other generation would have long ago rolled up it's sleeves and got to work, focused entirely on solutions. That's what separates us from the productive persons that made our country strong in healthier times. And that was with much less information, less resources, less options. They still vastly outdid us.

The world isn't different; we're different, and too stupid to see it or admit it.
This is a pattern. Every generation has people that bemoan the incoming one. The same thing was said about us Gen Xers and I'm sure the generations before.

Old 10-06-2021, 08:20 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,174,871 times
Quote:
This is a pattern. Every generation has people that bemoan the incoming one. The same thing was said about us Gen Xers and I'm sure the generations before.
I'm not singling out any generation now. The same problem affects teenagers through 80-somethings. It's a common problem among all now, vs. all then. We're talking about wide swaths of people encompassing many age ranges now, in contrast to wide age range say 100 years prior.

The whole 'generation' thing is another diversion tactic away from seeing the big picture and finding solutions.

Old 10-06-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I'm not singling out any generation now. The same problem affects teenagers through 80-somethings. It's a common problem among all now, vs. all then. Not about any specific generational. We're talking about wide swaths of people encompassing many age ranges. And in contrast to wide age range say 100 years prior.
Oh no? It looks to me like you're obviously running what I refer to as the "get off my lawn" program.

Old 10-06-2021, 08:25 PM

1,483 posts, read 685,205 times
Quote:
Odd comment coming from someone who is secular.
Perhaps 'secularism' is the way to go.

Perhaps, just perhaps, religion IS the problem???

Tell me, how many occurrences of strife - including wars, of course - have occurred over religion/man-made 'beliefs' based on religion? I don't seem to recall any historical wars that occurred over, say natural resources - which the fictional war in 'Threads' was over (poor Russkies, they wanted Persian oil and a warm-water port, poor things). Wasn't the conquest of the Americas over GOD, gold, and glory? Well, perhaps it was pre-revisionist history, that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity