Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 08:32 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
It amazes me, how certain people believe they represent the creator of all that exists, and have the audacity to tell others what will or will not happen, after their present life is extinguished. They act as if, they are the center of the universe, and its controlling agent?
Human vanity and hubris seem boundless, Jer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2021, 11:08 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,361,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
That's a defense mechanism people use to feel safe in an unsafe world. It's called the just-world hypothesis. When we see something bad happen to someone we think they must have done something to deserve it. Good things happen to good people and bad things happen to bad people and all is right in the world. I defy you to look at those pictures of those burned bodies and say they had it coming. I'll avoid the other so we don't venture into politics.
The people did not deserve it but the government did. U fortunately, the govt caused that to happens. Were we supposed to sit back and not react. The other did not deserve what happened but once again, his actions led to what did happen. If I got pulled over and I resisted arrest or tried to grab a cops weapon, I would expect to be shot and probably killed. That is why I do not do stupid stuff like that.

Old 10-07-2021, 11:37 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
God is establishing for Himself a people who love Him back. They will live with Him in paradise, forever.
Jimmiej, would you stop loving your wife or children, if they did not love you back?

Old 10-08-2021, 03:21 AM

614 posts, read 173,215 times
Perhaps we could approach this from the point of view of how it could be that Jesus was crucified before the foundation of the world. How did this all begin? It began with God "making" Adam from "clay." After He did that, He breathed life into him.

I think Adam was picked out of the men who were alive at the time. He was the first to exhibit something that God had been directing human beings toward. He took him and breathed into him. That means that God sent Himself into Adam, in order for him to be fully at the level God was making man to be.

The union of God's Spirit and man, however, was not iron clad. If man ate from the tree, he would lose the spirit. God told him he would die. The Spirit is what gave man life. Yes, man could eat from the tree of life, but that wasn't what actually gave man life, if you will. It is the Spirit coming upon man that gave him life. I figure that must be a difference to the quality of life, not the exterior quality so much as the interior quality. Again, when Jesus was telling us why He came, He said He came that we might have life and have it more abundantly. So, this whole thing must be about quality. It seems obvious that has something to do, at the very least, with interior quality. It must be about gaining the fruits of the Spirit. Love, joy, peace, long suffering and the like must have an impact upon the soul. They must instruct us as to our comings and our goings, so to speak. The Spirit is important.

Well, when Adam ate from the tree, the Spirit left him. Yahweh went to a mountain in Saudi Arabia, apparently. Man struggled. Moses brought God and man back into some closer alignment, but it was nothing like the former. It was all about rules. It wasn't natural. First things first.

Then you had this man, Jesus. Once the Spirit fell upon Him, He would never leave Him. You couldn't say that about Adam. Jesus was, while being a man, formed out of the order out of which God's nature comes. Perhaps, as an aside, that is how He did not suffer from the fatherless doubts He may have had if He didn't enjoy that nature? He had faith! He could always see God. While being fully human, He also appealed to the Spirit in a manner that Adam never could. As a result, our last state will be greater than the former. I maintain that is what God was after all along.

Last edited by Am I a Prophet; 10-08-2021 at 03:27 AM.. Reason: the writing process

Old 10-08-2021, 04:00 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,032,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am I a Prophet View Post
Perhaps we could approach this from the point of view of how it could be that Jesus was crucified before the foundation of the world. How did this all begin? It began with God "making" Adam from "clay." After He did that, He breathed life into him.

I think Adam was picked out of the men who were alive at the time. He was the first to exhibit something that God had been directing human beings toward. He took him and breathed into him. That means that God sent Himself into Adam, in order for him to be fully at the level God was making man to be.

The union of God's Spirit and man, however, was not iron clad. If man ate from the tree, he would lose the spirit. God told him he would die. The Spirit is what gave man life. Yes, man could eat from the tree of life, but that wasn't what actually gave man life, if you will. It is the Spirit coming upon man that gave him life. I figure that must be a difference to the quality of life, not the exterior quality so much as the interior quality. Again, when Jesus was telling us why He came, He said He came that we might have life and have it more abundantly. So, this whole thing must be about quality. It seems obvious that has something to do, at the very least, with interior quality. It must be about gaining the fruits of the Spirit. Love, joy, peace, long suffering and the like must have an impact upon the soul. They must instruct us as to our comings and our goings, so to speak. The Spirit is important.

Well, when Adam ate from the tree, the Spirit left him. Yahweh went to a mountain in Saudi Arabia, apparently. Man struggled. Moses brought God and man back into some closer alignment, but it was nothing like the former. It was all about rules. It wasn't natural. First things first.

Then you had this man, Jesus. Once the Spirit fell upon Him, He would never leave Him. You couldn't say that about Adam. Jesus was, while being a man, formed out of the order out of which God's nature comes. Perhaps, as an aside, that is how He did not suffer from the fatherless doubts He may have had if He didn't enjoy that nature? He had faith! He could always see God. While being fully human, He also appealed to the Spirit in a manner that Adam never could. As a result, our last state will be greater than the former. I maintain that is what God was after all along.

Old 10-08-2021, 04:00 AM

1,757 posts, read 756,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I am no scholar of the Bible but how is it possible that Jehovah said to Jesus that they should make man in his image? Man was here long before Jesus. That conversation never could have happened.
Humans focus too much on appearances. Perhaps in his image means freewill and consciousness.

Old 10-08-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Jimmiej, would you stop loving your wife or children, if they did not love you back?
That is a profound question about the nature of agape love, Jer.

Old 10-08-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Humans focus too much on appearances. Perhaps in his image means free will and consciousness.
Especially the exercise of our free will in support of agape love in our consciousness.

Old 10-08-2021, 10:55 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Human vanity and hubris seem boundless, Jer.
He's talking about you. Or at least he should be. You're as guilty of that as anyone.

Old 10-08-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
He's talking about you. Or at least he should be. You're as guilty of that as anyone.
I doubt that, but you do fit the mold with your unwarranted fundamentalist dogma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity