Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2021, 07:26 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I believe that most people are sincere in trying to correctly interpret the scriptures, but I don't think it's as cut and dried as you are implying. There are so many, many doctrines that separate Christians of different denominations, and all of them can point to certain biblical verses as evidence that they're right. I could name a half a dozen of these right off the top of my head, but each of them could comprise an entire thread on there own.
I agree with you about the sincerity of others, but I disagree with you when it comes to not being able to understand God’s plan of salvation and knowing what God requires of us in our lives as Christians. IMHO, most disagreements are due to people’s prior beliefs and lack of personal study. It’s very easy to follow the teachings of others, especially in today’s busy society. People, even the most well intentioned ones, are so involved in worldly things, there’s little to no time left for the Lord, let alone the amount of time personal, in depth study takes. People strip verses out of context all the time to support what they believe. I can predict the verses they will use even before they use them, and even when shown the context, it doesn’t matter. Rather than admit they are wrong, they disregard any proof you provide.

Case in point: I have been told so many times that baptism isn’t required for salvation because Paul said Christ didn’t send him to baptize, but to preach the gospel. Yet when read in context, Paul isn’t saying at all that baptism isn’t required (I Cor. 1:10-17).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 08:05 PM

1,809 posts, read 897,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The things Jesus said they were not ready to comprehend because they were too carnal. That is why what He presented to them was merely "carnal milk" NOT "spiritual solid food." Apparently, we never did get ready to comprehend the "spiritual solid food." The dogma stagnated at the "carnal milk" level for more than two millennia. In God's evolutionary timescale that is barely more than two days so I guess there is hope for future generations.

Thanks for the non-answer. It was so not enlightening.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:00 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
I agree with you about the sincerity of others, but I disagree with you when it comes to not being able to understand God’s plan of salvation and knowing what God requires of us in our lives as Christians. IMHO, most disagreements are due to people’s prior beliefs and lack of personal study. It’s very easy to follow the teachings of others, especially in today’s busy society. People, even the most well intentioned ones, are so involved in worldly things, there’s little to no time left for the Lord, let alone the amount of time personal, in depth study takes. People strip verses out of context all the time to support what they believe. I can predict the verses they will use even before they use them, and even when shown the context, it doesn’t matter. Rather than admit they are wrong, they disregard any proof you provide.

Case in point: I have been told so many times that baptism isn’t required for salvation because Paul said Christ didn’t send him to baptize, but to preach the gospel. Yet when read in context, Paul isn’t saying at all that baptism isn’t required (I Cor. 1:10-17).
Well, of course, everybody understands the scriptures perfectly, because they're so straightforward and unequivocal. And yet we all still disagree as to what they mean. Look, I believe the scriptures say we must be baptized. As a matter of fact, I believe in baptism by immersion for the remission of sins, and I don't believe a person should be baptized until they are old enough to understand what the baptism is for and what it accomplishes. I believe it should be preceded by faith in Jesus Christ and repentance of one's sins. But I can guarantee you that every Roman Catholic on this forum could "prove" that I'm wrong, that tiny babies should be baptized and that sprinkling is sufficient. And what's more, they could do so using only the Bible as their source of information.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:01 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Thanks for the non-answer. It was so not enlightening.
I'm sorry you did not comprehend the answer, but as long as you seek righteousness and love God and each other every day and repent when you fail, it won't matter.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:07 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I'm sorry you did not comprehend the answer, but as long as you seek righteousness and love God and each other every day and repent when you fail, it won't matter.
Wow, Mystic!

Old 10-28-2021, 10:45 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
In the beginning there was just the Christian church, with a number of different local churches but all in communion. Then about 500AD a couple of the Arab ones left because of theological differences and became the Oriental Orthodox Church, which still exists today. Then around 1100 AD differences between the church in Rome and the other churches in the east caused a split, and the church in Rome became the RCC , while the eastern churches stayed together and became the Eastern Orthodox Church, following the same pattern as the first church of differing national churches in communion with each other. Rome chose to become a single worldwide body instead. So now the EO have churches like the Greek, Russian, Romanian, and so on, all of them comprising the EO Church.

There has been a little talk in the past of the Anglican Church merging into the EO , but I don't know if that is still going on or has been abandoned.
Under sola scriptura more and more division has occurred up until today. If only Humbert had gone home when he discovered that Pope Leo IX had died, making his orders invalid, the idea of sola scriptura may never have existed.

I don't see any progress in uniting with the Anglicans. I do see progress in uniting with the OO. Chalcedon is closer to becoming a non issue. Already there are EO churches communing OO believers. This is an amazing development considering how closely we guard the chalice.

Old 10-29-2021, 04:28 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,162,246 times
Quote:
The Reformation principle of sola Scriptura has to do with the sufficiency of Scripture as our supreme authority in all spiritual matters. Sola Scriptura simply means that all truth necessary for our salvation and spiritual life is taught either explicitly or implicitly in Scripture.

If you believe this to be true, where in the Bible do you find it taught? Personally, I don't believe it's there. Yes, the Bible does say, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness..." but that's not saying that the Bible is a complete record of God's dealings with mankind. That's kind of like saying that "all grapes are fruit" is comparable to saying, "Grapes are the only fruit."
The Bible specifically warns all of us not to add or subtract books. Those who do will be blotted out of the Book of Life.........

REV 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Old 10-29-2021, 04:42 AM

1,799 posts, read 561,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
The Bible specifically warns all of us not to add or subtract books. Those who do will be blotted out of the Book of Life.........

REV 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

The writer here is speaking specifically about adding more prophecies or deleting prophecies from the book of Revelations . There was no accepted canon of Scripture at the time of the writing of Revelations about 90 AD. He refers only to his own writings .

This provides a perfect example of how sola scripture caused so many problems . Interpreting a passage completely differently than what the writer intended.

Last edited by NatesDude; 10-29-2021 at 05:33 AM..

Old 10-29-2021, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Well, of course, everybody understands the scriptures perfectly, because they're so straightforward and unequivocal. And yet we all still disagree as to what they mean. Look, I believe the scriptures say we must be baptized. As a matter of fact, I believe in baptism by immersion for the remission of sins, and I don't believe a person should be baptized until they are old enough to understand what the baptism is for and what it accomplishes. I believe it should be preceded by faith in Jesus Christ and repentance of one's sins. But I can guarantee you that every Roman Catholic on this forum could "prove" that I'm wrong, that tiny babies should be baptized and that sprinkling is sufficient. And what's more, they could do so using only the Bible as their source of information.
You seem to be blaming the word of God for people believing falsely. That is so not true. The fault lies with people, not God.

No they cannot prove that the baptism of babies is Scriptural. In fact, their argument is very weak when lined up side by side with the whole counsel of God on the topic of baptism. Catholics will choose to believe what they have been taught even in the face of overwhelming evidence. They will deny the most basic facts, one being that the word baptizo means submerge, overwhelm, immerse.

Last edited by MissKate12; 10-29-2021 at 05:29 AM..

Old 10-29-2021, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post

Amen!

The same warnings are found in Deuteronomy and Proverbs. Do not add or take away from God’s word.

“You shall not add to the word which I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.” (Deut. 4:2)

Do not add to His words,
Lest He rebuke you, and you be found a liar. (Proverbs 30:6)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity