Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 01:40 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,069 times

Advertisements

Alan you are the first person who I've heard of naming the doctrine that I believe is biblical. I never knew it was called "soul sleep".

I just texted one of my friends, the one who is an Adventist. She says that her church refers to it as SOUL SLEEP.

Now I guess we have to decide if her church is Christian or Cult . . . I am not sure and need to gather than information, didn't know any Adventists or studied their doctrine prior to meeting her . . . and have not spent alot of time studying their doctrine, just visited her church occastionally in the past when I was invited.

So if the name of what happens when we die is called or has been labeled Soul Sleep . . . then I guess that is what I see being talked about in the scriptures . . .

When Jesus comes, all true Christians, "the dead in Christ," will be resurrected to immortality. This raising of believers from death will constitute the first resurrection. Believers who have died are unconscious in their graves; they will remain in death until the resurrection. In the first resurrection, all believers will be raised from the dead to immortality and will receive their rewards at the same time. Living Christians will be changed instantly from mortality to immortality at the time of the first resurrection, and, with the resurrected Christians, they will be caught up to meet Christ in the air. They will be glorified with Christ and will be made joint-heirs with Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 01:42 PM

14,875 posts, read 17,143,188 times
Many teach that the soul is immortal but many scriptures tell us that the soul dies at death. Even believers are said to be dead (1 Thes 4:16, "the dead in Christ"; 1 Cor 15:51,52; John 11:25) Corinthians 15: 54-57 put on immortality at the resurrection. Jesus alone has immortality (1 Timothy 2: 13-16) .God bless.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:44 PM

Do you believe that souls sleep or that souls die upon death, lifesigns? These are 2 different things. God bless.

• Genesis 2:7. "And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." Body (form) + Breath of life/God (nâphach /puff) = a living soul
  • Genesis 3:19. "In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou returnest unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken; for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return."

Old 07-23-2009, 01:46 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,102,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
Alan you are the first person who I've heard of naming the doctrine that I believe is biblical. I never knew it was called "soul sleep".
??...I thought that is what it's called?
I did not invent the term "soul sleep" but it is easy to spell and that is worth something.
(I mean compared to "pre-dispensational" it is easy to spell...LOL)

I will have to think back to my copy of W Martin's KINGDOM OF THE CULTS to see if there is another easy to spell term for it?

Old 07-23-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Do believers go to heaven when they die?
More scriptures on the state of those that die.
  • Job 7:21 "And why dost thou not pardon my transgression, and take away my iniquity? for now shall I sleep in the dust; and thou shalt seek me in the morning, but I shall not be."
  • Psalms 6:5. "For in death there is no remembrance of thee:in the grave who shall give thee thanks?"
  • Psalm 13:3 "Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death;"
  • Psalm 90:5 "You sweep men away in the sleep of death; they are like the new grass of the morning-"
  • Psalms 146:3-4. "Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whome there is no help. His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish."
  • Ecclesiastes 3:19-20. "For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity. All go unto one place; all are of the dust and all turn to dust again."
God bless.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:

I just texted one of my friends, the one who is an Adventist. She says that her church refers to it as SOUL SLEEP.

I remember that now.
I went out with a 7th Dayer girl for a year back in high school and attended some of their teaching lessons class times, and they do teach Soul Sleep as fact.

However when you get to know a few more of their teachings and how they tend to slant everything in the Bible, the fact that they also teach soul sleep is par for them...

I do not consider the 7th Dayers a cult, but because of some teachings connected with their view that Jesus is actually Michael the archangel, I describe them as being "Cult-like" in many teachings...

Soul sleep is another such way they are like them in my view...

Old 07-23-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
When Jesus comes, all true Christians, "the dead in Christ," will be resurrected to immortality. .
We come to the earth with him you know....

Jesus does not come to the earth empty handed..

The church in heaven comes with the Lord Jesus at his return, and then are raised up in everlasting bodies in the resurrection.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:56 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
I remember that now.
I went out with a 7th Dayer girl for a year back in high school and attended some of their teaching lessons class times, and they do teach Soul Sleep as fact.

However when you get to know a few more of their teachings and how they tend to slant everything in the Bible, the fact that they also teach soul sleep is par for them...

I do not consider the 7th Dayers a cult, but because of some teachings connected with their view that Jesus is actually Michael the archangel, I describe them as being "Cult-like" in many teachings...

Soul sleep is another such way they are like them in my view...
I respect your view, because I held this view for many years as well, and was extremely comforted in it, believing that my dear loved ones were in heaven. God Bless, Lifesigns64

Old 07-23-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Many teach ...
You still have not answered my questions....
I got all night...LOL

Old 07-23-2009, 01:58 PM

I don't know the answer to your questions, alan. I don't believe in soul sleep. God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity