Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2009, 11:25 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,998,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
In other words, dear lifesigns64, you believe an adjective can be greater than the noun from which it is derived in the bible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
Dear Friend Eusebius, I learn alot from you and respect your posts.

The answer to your question isn't a yes or a no to the adj vs. noun question . . . .

I read different versions of the bible . . .and do not conform to a certain church/denomination teachings, or even one particular view.

It seems very consistent to me, throughout the OT and more importantly, the NT what the lake of fire is used for.

There would be many references to the Lake of Fire if it was for purification, cleansing . . . and if all were to be saved, . . .

Being that I believe the Bible was written by Men, but TOTALLY inspired by God . . . I see a theme running throug it.

People who have had the opportunity to hear/read Jesus's teachings, and who reject those teachings, and those who commit the unpardonable sin, I see the bible stating that in those cases with those people, along with Death, Sin, and Satan, will be annihilated in the Lake of Fire.

I did my study . . .but willing to explore this more, nothing is "closed" in my opinion . . . . but having said that . . . . one thing that turns me off from churches is those who take a verse, a verse there, and base their beliefs on that . . rather than reading the entire book, and lining up the fence posts.

Blessings, Lifesigns
Dear Lifesigns, thanks for the kind words.

If one does a study on the eon/ages in the whole bible and notes that all judgments are assigned only to those eons/ages, and when one sees that all the eons/ages do indeed end, then how can any adversative judgment be endless?
Even the KJV bible puts "age" in their margin from time to time when referencing to a verse that says something is "for ever."

Also if we look at the whole bible, there is nothing in the old testament where God threatens anyone with either eternal torment or eternal annihalation. And did not even Jesus say: "And I, if I be exalted out of the earth will draw all unto Me"? And did not John say: Behold the Lamb of God which is taking away the sin of the world"? And did not John in 1Jo 2:2 And He is the propitiatory shelter concerned with our sins, yet not concerned with ours only, but concerned with the whole world also."

Jesus not only covered over our (the believers sins) but He covered over the sins of the whole world also.

Those who commit the blasphemy of the H.S. are to pay the penalty for their act "in this eon and that (eon) which is impending."

Mat 12:32 And whosoever may be saying a word against the Son of Mankind, it will be pardoned him, yet whoever may be saying aught against the holy spirit, it shall not be pardoned him, neither in this eon nor in that which is impending."

And here is an excellent parallel between "eonian" and that it pertains to what is said in Matt.12:32 above:

Mar 3:29 yet whoever should be blaspheming against the holy spirit is having no pardon for the eon, but is liable to the eonian penalty for the sin-"

The eonian penalty is just the penalty pertaining to this eon and that (eon) which is impending per 12:32. That, by the way is this eon in which we are living and the eon impending is the 1000 year eon to come which, as you know, lasts 1000 years. Hardly a prize winner for a definition of "eternity."

So let's line up the fence posts and see how it all fits together rather than taking isolated verses here and there, o.k.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 11:30 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,583,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Dear Lifesigns, thanks for the kind words.

If one does a study on the eon/ages in the whole bible and notes that all judgments are assigned only to those eons/ages, and when one sees that all the eons/ages do indeed end, then how can any adversative judgment be endless?
Even the KJV bible puts "age" in their margin from time to time when referencing to a verse that says something is "for ever."
Yes when taken in correct context.....it's not willy nilly

Quote:
Also if we look at the whole bible, there is nothing in the old testament where God threatens anyone with either eternal torment or eternal annihalation. And did not even Jesus say: "And I, if I be exalted out of the earth will draw all unto Me"? And did not John say: Behold the Lamb of God which is taking away the sin of the world"? And did not John in 1Jo 2:2 And He is the propitiatory shelter concerned with our sins, yet not concerned with ours only, but concerned with the whole world also."
Eusebius...how many times are you going to argue this moot point. We Christians believe what you say but you keep forgetting something very important. All those verses point to ALL people who repent and believe Somehow you keep forgetting to put that in.

So it is down too one side believes in separated from God forever and then your side that believes in purgatory. At least be honest in your critique of our side.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 12-09-2009 at 11:43 AM..

Old 12-09-2009, 11:31 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,489,995 times
A question that is never asked on these threads is, is it possible for God to save all? Is it possible for God to save all people while they retain their free will? Or, is it impossible?

Old 12-09-2009, 11:32 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,583,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
A question that is never asked on these threads is, is it possible for God to save all? Is it possible for God to save all people while they retain their free will? Or, is it impossible?
Is it possible for God to sin? NO! God won't do anything if it doesn't give Him the glory or else He ceases being God. So if it gives God the glory to save everybody without them having to repent then, YES!

Old 12-09-2009, 11:56 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,444,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Also if we look at the whole bible, there is nothing in the old testament where God threatens anyone with either eternal torment or eternal annihalation.
You obviously haven't read the old testament.

Let's start with one....the soul of the sinner dies.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:33 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,774,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post

Yep ... And you're a sinner ... So what does that tell you?

Old 12-09-2009, 04:06 PM

78 posts, read 107,644 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
Also if we look at the whole bible, there is nothing in the old testament where God threatens anyone with either eternal torment or eternal annihalation.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks

sciotamicks:
that does not indicate any threat of torture after death.

How about giving some scripture from the old testament that indicates torment after death, or annihalation

Old 12-09-2009, 04:28 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,489,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Is it possible for God to sin? NO! God won't do anything if it doesn't give Him the glory or else He ceases being God. So if it gives God the glory to save everybody without them having to repent then, YES!
Is it not possible that God would bring everyone to repentence?

Old 12-09-2009, 08:39 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,942,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
When someone is regenerated by the Spirit (which is part of salvation) it includes repentance, together with faith in Christ and the Gospel, as part of the new birth.

Last edited by AlabamaStorm; 12-09-2009 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-09-2009, 08:57 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,467,709 times
Outside of denominations or the beliefs of URers, where is there a good, non-biased study on the eon/ages throughout the bible . . ? I'd like to study this more . . .

Eusebius . . . can you recommend one, or point me in the direction?

As of now, I see that your views are that the Lake of Fire is sort of a purgatory, or like a "time out" chair for kids when they are naughty, and then the Mom let's them come back and play . . . I don't see the Lake of Fire as such . . . but will confess, I am not an "expert" on the aionos/eons referred to here, thanks, God Bless, Lifesigns64
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity