Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 11:19 PM

8 posts, read 12,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGosh Josh View Post
And I thank God every day I wasn't born in South Carolina. :P

South Carolinians are Beneath Me

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 11:35 PM

358 posts, read 982,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayBoiCharlotte View Post
South Carolinians are Beneath Me

Ahaha, badum tsschh!

Old 06-30-2010, 12:03 AM

8 posts, read 12,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
That is all i've been trying to say. There is NOTHING to do here. The thing is....a lot of thepeople on this forum are probably older and don't care for cutting edge and exciting stuff. So Charlotte is AWESOME to them. But me being in my mid twenties where I'm use to going to Jazz Bars and spoken poetry and being able to anything I want 24/7 then I come to Charlotte there is nothing to do. Im not into Nascar. I want to be able to paint the town red, but after a week I've done everything there is to do. That is why you can't compare Charlotte to Atlanta b/c Atlanta is a MAJOR city. OK Atl is no where close to NY, but NY is a MAJOR city and so is ATLANTA. Charlotte is NOT A MAJOR CITY so the opportunities here are a lot less.

I don't just sit around and grip about how boring Charlotte is. Charlotte just doesn't have anything to appeal to me. No major events, no major world class festivals. No young professional hang out spots. For someone who is use to a fast lifestyle Charlotte is a huge 180* turn

Dude... I am young. I am in college. My friends from age 18 - 25 all love Charlotte. I always find stuff to do in Charlotte... I'm never bored... I have a fast lifestyle.

Name me some of these Atlanta festivals. To be quite frank, I think most festivals would be quite lame. You act like Atlanta is so amazing. It isn't. In my opinion at least. It's a nice place to go for the day. As is Greenville SC...

But Please. List me the things to do in Atlanta. Please, lord do. Let me know what alllll I'm missing out on. (i've been there quite a few times but apparently I'm totally missing something?)

Oh. And I think Jazz and poetry is lame personally... beyond. I'd rather shoot myself then live the "fast paced life" of poetry...

So, again. Speak for yourself... Please, please speak for yourself.

Sorry if my post is very choppy. But it just strikes a nerve with me on so many different levels...

And to answer your question. I don't think any Charlottean strives to be Atlanta at all nor compares us to ya'll that much. I've only heard Charlotteans wanting to be somthing like Minneapolis, Seattle, and Portland. But they were just skyscraper junkies...

In fact, to be 100% honest... whenever I read somthing about Southend getting a highrise proposal or anywhere else outside uptown, I read more comments about "lets try to build outr core and not spread all out like Atlanta" . Or comments like "I hope the Charlotte skyline just keeps growing with a tight core and not spread out like Atlanta and Houston" . We have ZERO desire to be like Atlanta...

Old 06-30-2010, 12:32 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yep. MARTA is downright legendary, lol.
Ani, does MARTA stand for Metro Atlanta Rapid Transit Asylum? Not to compare or anything, but after riding public transportation in Philly, thousands of times, I have never seen such displays.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:56 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
That is all i've been trying to say. There is NOTHING to do here. The thing is....a lot of thepeople on this forum are probably older and don't care for cutting edge and exciting stuff. So Charlotte is AWESOME to them. But me being in my mid twenties where I'm use to going to Jazz Bars and spoken poetry and being able to anything I want 24/7 then I come to Charlotte there is nothing to do. Im not into Nascar. I want to be able to paint the town red, but after a week I've done everything there is to do. That is why you can't compare Charlotte to Atlanta b/c Atlanta is a MAJOR city. OK Atl is no where close to NY, but NY is a MAJOR city and so is ATLANTA. Charlotte is NOT A MAJOR CITY so the opportunities here are a lot less.

I don't just sit around and grip about how boring Charlotte is. Charlotte just doesn't have anything to appeal to me. No major events, no major world class festivals. No young professional hang out spots. For someone who is use to a fast lifestyle Charlotte is a huge 180* turn
Yup, I'm a lot older than you. However, I came here from a real major metro, Philadelphia. When I was your age, I was fully capable of finding my own entertainment without it being planned by the city.

Do I hear native North Carolinians compare Charlotte to Atlanta you bet your butt I do. They are constantly thanking their lucky stars that the traffic in Charlotte isn't a zoo like it is any place near Atlanta.

You've tried to compare Atlanta to real major cities & metros. It seems to me that your image of Atlanta is laced with delusions of grandeur. Since you don't like it in Charlotte, it's very easy to solve that, instead of whining online.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:17 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,687,192 times
Quote:

I hear what you are saying and I agree. The 2 cities are just different. And while the Charlotte nightlife has a longggggggggggggggg way to go, I will say that Charlotte appears have a long term vision of building it's city for sustainability and they are trying to avoid some of Atlanta's mistakes. Now a sustainable Charlotte might = a weak or controlled nightlife; a smaller city; less venues; etc... But if one could handled it - it wouldn't be a bad idea to live in Charlotte and communte to Atlanta a few times a month to have fun. So as a poster who is critical of Charlotte's housing stock (too much vinyl), it's boring nightlife - I am still looking at real estate here (I already own house here that I am selling) to make my time here a little more permanent. I will do the bars once in a while, go to a few other afterhours places, and DEFINIETLY head to Atlanta 2-3 times a month - and hope that Charlotte picks up on the fun factor. That said, if fun is not in demand what can you do. A few weeks back I went to the Loft on a Wednesday. There were 7 people there. I was there from 9-12. I AM NOT LYING. Maybe it was an off night. Generally speaking, that does not happen in most cities that call themselves vibrant, urban, or the place to be. Last week, I went to Alive After Five and it should have been called Subdued After Six. What can you do? But if I move here permanently I will make the best of it. Maybe consolation prize is that my 7 year loves NASCAR. How did that happened, I do not know.

Last edited by mrdkb; 06-30-2010 at 07:34 AM..

Old 06-30-2010, 07:19 AM

644 posts, read 1,430,189 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayBoiCharlotte View Post
Dude... I am young. I am in college. My friends from age 18 - 25 all love Charlotte. I always find stuff to do in Charlotte... I'm never bored... I have a fast lifestyle.

Name me some of these Atlanta festivals. To be quite frank, I think most festivals would be quite lame. You act like Atlanta is so amazing. It isn't. In my opinion at least. It's a nice place to go for the day. As is Greenville SC...

But Please. List me the things to do in Atlanta. Please, lord do. Let me know what alllll I'm missing out on. (i've been there quite a few times but apparently I'm totally missing something?)

Oh. And I think Jazz and poetry is lame personally... beyond. I'd rather shoot myself then live the "fast paced life" of poetry...

So, again. Speak for yourself... Please, please speak for yourself.

Sorry if my post is very choppy. But it just strikes a nerve with me on so many different levels...

And to answer your question. I don't think any Charlottean strives to be Atlanta at all nor compares us to ya'll that much. I've only heard Charlotteans wanting to be somthing like Minneapolis, Seattle, and Portland. But they were just skyscraper junkies...

In fact, to be 100% honest... whenever I read somthing about Southend getting a highrise proposal or anywhere else outside uptown, I read more comments about "lets try to build outr core and not spread all out like Atlanta" . Or comments like "I hope the Charlotte skyline just keeps growing with a tight core and not spread out like Atlanta and Houston" . We have ZERO desire to be like Atlanta...
Screen on the Green - Free movies at Piedmont Park (Dreamgirls, Transformers 2 to name a few)

Gay Pride events (3 largest celebration in the US after only San Fran and NY)

Peachtree Road Race World's LARGEST 10k

Go to a symphony orchestra or opera

Go to any MAJOR LEAGUE sporting event

World Class broadway plays at the Fox Theater

Botanical Gardens

Sambuca Jazz Cafe (you said Jazz is lame but and not fast paced but like i said Atl has something for everyone)

National Black Arts Festival (World's Largest Black Festival featuring art from some of the world's premier artists)

Atlanta Greek Festival

4th of July Events: The South's Biggest Display of Fireworks at Centennial Park (600,000 people) The South's Second Biggest Firework display Lennox Sq (350,000) wow that's almost 1 million people at only two events. Name a Charlotte event that attracts at least half a million

German Bierfest

Out on Film Atlanta's Gay Film Festival

there are about 50 more including Latino Festivals, Jewish Festivals, Free Summer Concerts at Centennial Park, Jazz on Wednesdays.......

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-30-2010 at 08:13 AM..

Old 06-30-2010, 07:31 AM

644 posts, read 1,430,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
I hear what you are saying and I agree. The 2 cities just have two different cultures. And while the Charlotte nightlife has a longggggggggggggggg way to go, I will say that Charlotte appears have a long term vision of building it's city and they are trying to avoid some of Atlanta's mistakes. A weak or controlled nightlife is a part of that. Honestly - if one could handled it - it wouldn't be a bad idea to live in Charlotte and communte to Atlanta a couple times a month to have fun.
I actually don't have a problem w/ Charlotte....is close to Atlanta not a bad drive from the DC area. Charlotte is a great city. I do like it here....just wish there was WAAYYY more to do. That is my only problem. Atlanta is wayyy to spread out everyone knows that. Charlotte would be smart to build a center core. Have a grid pattern layout. Look to the Northeast for this (b/c they are the best when it comes to this) Typically in the south cities are spread out.

Charlotte is a cool city. Clean, new, little queen thing on every street sign. Major streets are very easy to navigate, with turn lanes. Great place....just have more to do.

My real issue with Charlotte is the lack of turn signal usage. Sheesh....People here don't know what a turn signal is

Old 06-30-2010, 07:57 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
As a poet, let me just say Charlotte offers plenty in the poetry department. Same with jazz. Southend alwys has live bands and NoDa has several venues which allow for creative expression, including poetry. Ajjam, I think your problem is one even many Charlotteans have, much of what Charlotte offers folks don't know about.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:10 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,687,192 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
As a poet, let me just say Charlotte offers plenty in the poetry department. Same with jazz. Southend alwys has live bands and NoDa has several venues which allow for creative expression, including poetry. Ajjam, I think your problem is one even many Charlotteans have, much of what Charlotte offers folks don't know about.
I agree with this. So here is an opportunity to to say what it offers in the areas you mentioned. Let's start with -
Poetry = where? when? how often? this week?

Jazz = where? when? how often? this week?

You said several venues so I am hoping to have several options this week.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-30-2010 at 08:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City