Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More economically relevant state in the future
California 195 56.85%
Texas 148 43.15%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 08:52 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Glad you're so comfortable in California, dalparadise, and I'm sure you're glad that my husband and I are very comfortable in Texas. Everyone seems quite content about where they live and how they live, and they don't want to change locales, so there we have it.

Everybody be happy and happy that everyone else is happy. If you can't manage that, then, well...you're not as happy as you think you are.

Whether youre happy in Texas or in California doesn't change the fact that places are NOT the same, amenities are NOT the same, urban environments are NOT the same(and in this case, possibly non-existent), etc.

It's possible to be happy somewhere but also state why you couldn't be happy somewhere else-and there's nothing wrong with having a negative, even sharply so, opinion of another place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 08:58 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And the most ironic part about this regurgitated drivel is that once again, Texans on average are STILL less creditworthy and have less savings than the average Californian.

Rick Perry's message to other states has almost NOTHING to do with the quality of life of regular people, and everything to do with appeasing business interests--it's clear that his mantra is that so long as businesses are happy, screw regular people.

How else can we explain the fact that children, elderly and poor people in Texas fare so terribly there as far as health insurance and other necessary services?

It's because the governor and legislature there doesn't care. They profess their Christianity on the one hand but then do everything in their power to disavow themselves from Christlike behavior on the other hand-unless we're talking about Gays and Abortion.

Is it any wonder why Rick Perry did so poorly in the 2012 presidential primary, despite his 'sterling' record on economic growth? The rest of us aren't stupid. We don't want your smoke-and-mirrors economic growth model to be repeated around the country.

Sorry.
Gays, abortion, & religion have nothing to do with Texas' economy so stop it now.

Lets talk about the cities out there that filed for bankruptcy & the ones in Texas that didn't.

Lets talk about how healthcare reform (Obamacare) is a sinking ship & Texas was firmly against it while California was all for it. Now even his fellow Democrats are turning on him. Californians love government hand outs. Go figure.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Gays, abortion, & religion have nothing to do with Texas' economy so stop it now.
Texas' economic growth also has almost nothing to do with increasing the quality of life of people there either. It's really quite a shame.

No state wants to be Texas. For California it would be a downgrade.

Quote:
Lets talk about the cities out there that filed for bankruptcy & the ones in Texas that didn't.
I'd rather be financially bankrupt than morally bankrupt. Go take care of your poor, children, old people and sick before you come here and brag about In-N-Out burger.

Quote:
Lets talk about how healthcare reform (Obamacare) is a sinking ship & Texas was firmly against it while California was all for it. Now even his fellow Democrats are turning on him.
You mean Texas doesn't want to provide health care for people who cant afford it, and California wants to try.

Yeah, I'd rather be California any second, hour, day of the week. Especially when it comes to social and economic issues. Texas' growth is not enviable to me by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd rather not grow than grow like Texas.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:21 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Whether youre happy in Texas or in California doesn't change the fact that places are NOT the same, amenities are NOT the same, urban environments are NOT the same(and in this case, possibly non-existent), etc.

It's possible to be happy somewhere but also state why you couldn't be happy somewhere else-and there's nothing wrong with having a negative, even sharply so, opinion of another place.

I guess I'd have a hard time being happy in a gulag in Siberia, but I can't imagine being UNABLE to be happy in either California or Texas. I mean, I have my own personal preference, but I could be happy in any state in the Union - because my happiness doesn't depend on amenities, urban environments, the weather, or the scenery. If I ever get to the point where my personal happiness depends on those things...then I've definitely gone down hill.

I also don't feel the need to put other's choices down in order to feel good about my own.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:37 PM

281 posts, read 472,816 times
Quote:
I guess I'd have a hard time being happy in a gulag in Siberia, but I can't imagine being UNABLE to be happy in either California or Texas. I mean, I have my own personal preference, but I could be happy in any state in the Union - because my happiness doesn't depend on amenities, urban environments, the weather, or the scenery. If I ever get to the point where my personal happiness depends on those things...then I've definitely gone down hill.

I also don't feel the need to put other's choices down in order to feel good about my own.
You know certain amenities can add some fun to life, but overall I agree with your statement, if you're a boring person or a miserable person, you will be that way no matter what city you're in.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:02 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:

Solid and respectful post. I'm different because I have my preferences. But I won't down other people's preference either.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:16 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,721 times
This is childish seriously...

Old 11-15-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:

Well Im happy for you but guess what? Its entirely possible to love where one lives and be quite happy there, and vehemently hate somewhere else-simultaneously.

You shouldnt be bothered by the honesty of others.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:24 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
This is childish seriously...
What do you expect, it's city vs city. Which is why most forums do not have them.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable2 View Post
You know certain amenities can add some fun to life, but overall I agree with your statement, if you're a boring person or a miserable person, you will be that way no matter what city you're in.
And if you're a joyful person you'll be that way just about anywhere as well, right?

And as you know, different people seek different amenities. Some amenities that appeal to some people mean nothing to others, or come with "baggage" that makes them unattractive to others. For instance, there are some amenities in large metro areas that are appealing to me, but I don't want to put up with some of the other things that big cities have in order to live close to those amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City