Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More economically relevant state in the future
California 195 56.85%
Texas 148 43.15%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 09:35 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,648 times

Advertisements

Texas may be the more successful state now, but California will re-invent itself and will become more economically competitive in the future.

More people "want" to live in California vs. Texas.

It's just that, currently, many more people can afford to live in Texas vs. California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 10:25 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
Texas is affordable and one of the few states to have the kind of job market that the U.S. used to be known for these days. California is a major metropolis with amazing weather. Both states are two of the most economically important states in the country. It's no wonder flourishing Asian countries are investing heavily in both states.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:58 PM

592 posts, read 828,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Such a contrived and cliche argument, nothing that hasn't been addressed and taken care of before. Seriously, are there clone factories out there where you people are produced?
Yeah, I know it wasn't the most sophisticated argument around- was mostly just reactionary(childish I know) to Zedd's utter insanity over his three threads regarding Houston and Texas vs San Francisco and California- as well as the thread about Houston and Boston!

But yes, after 6 months in Houston- I definitely wasn't won over by much. I'll try to be a bit more balanced and give Houston some compliments.

For one, it is true that the people ARE friendlier in Houston(and Texas in general) than in California.

Houston also has one of the best food scenes in the nation. Besides New Orleans and MAYBE Austin, Houston probably dominates the food scene in the Southern US. It definitely has the most diverse food scene.

The cost of living in Houston and Texas as a whole is pretty exceptional. I might not have cared for Houston as a whole, but living in a luxurious two bedroom condo in a gated community with a huge pool, gym and all modern appliances was a nice perk.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
Texas may be the more successful state now, but California will re-invent itself and will become more economically competitive in the future.

More people "want" to live in California vs. Texas.

It's just that, currently, many more people can afford to live in Texas vs. California.
California is really a mixed bag right now. Southern California's economy has improved, but is doing so slowly. Northern California, especially the Bay Area, is what is running the show in California these days. The biggest population increases are in the Bay Area. San Francisco is booming like crazy right now and even Bay Area politics is dominating the state(not always a good thing though). San Francisco is re-inventing itself as a tech city as those companies are looking towards downtown SF and away from Silicon Valley this last year.

Currently more people can afford to live in Texas? That isn't just a current issue- its been that way for ages. California, especially the Bay Area, is insanely expensive! Depressingly expensive! Its not a good thing! All we're going to be left with are the very rich and very poor! How many Middle class neighborhoods exist in SF now? 2? Maybe 3? California can easily start going down that path. Its a little better in SoCal though.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:17 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
Yeah, I know it wasn't the most sophisticated argument around- was mostly just reactionary(childish I know) to Zedd's utter insanity over his three threads regarding Houston and Texas vs San Francisco and California- as well as the thread about Houston and Boston!

But yes, after 6 months in Houston- I definitely wasn't won over by much. I'll try to be a bit more balanced and give Houston some compliments.

For one, it is true that the people ARE friendlier in Houston(and Texas in general) than in California.

Houston also has one of the best food scenes in the nation. Besides New Orleans and MAYBE Austin, Houston probably dominates the food scene in the Southern US. It definitely has the most diverse food scene.

The cost of living in Houston and Texas as a whole is pretty exceptional. I might not have cared for Houston as a whole, but living in a luxurious two bedroom condo in a gated community with a huge pool, gym and all modern appliances was a nice perk.
Houston has a greater variety but New Orleans is more unique. Austin, while nice doesn't hold a candle. I should have known your initial post was in frustration to Zedd but I don't think he was from either Houston or Texas.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Houston has a greater variety but New Orleans is more unique. Austin, while nice doesn't hold a candle. I should have known your initial post was in frustration to Zedd but I don't think he was from either Houston or Texas.
Well I can't argue for Austin because I have very little experience there- but I have been told good things about its food scene. And yes, I agree that Houston has the best variety.

I think Zedd might just be that HTown poster that used to exist. Some insanity and seemed very similar.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:18 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
Currently more people can afford to live in Texas? That isn't just a current issue- its been that way for ages. California, especially the Bay Area, is insanely expensive! Depressingly expensive! Its not a good thing! All we're going to be left with are the very rich and very poor! How many Middle class neighborhoods exist in SF now? 2? Maybe 3? California can easily start going down that path. Its a little better in SoCal though.
That's why I don't live in California right now. I LOVE the Bay Area. However, I don't qualify for Section 8 and I don't want 5 roommates forever, so I moved to Arizona.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:38 PM

11 posts, read 15,953 times
I grew up in Texas and moved to CA for the economic opportunity. Now, I'm trying to get back to Texas. Strictly in terms of the economy, Texas is heads and shoulders above CA. CA is delusional if it thinks the weather and the beaches are all it needs to stay afloat.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:42 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,593,514 times
What kind of lifestyle does everyone want to live here? I'm sort of curious

Old 05-22-2014, 06:20 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpasadena View Post
I grew up in Texas and moved to CA for the economic opportunity. Now, I'm trying to get back to Texas. Strictly in terms of the economy, Texas is heads and shoulders above CA. CA is delusional if it thinks the weather and the beaches are all it needs to stay afloat.
I don't think anyone in CA is under the impression that they can coast on weather and beaches. But having the world media/entertainment capital and the world technology/software capital in the same state certainly helps. There's a reason that California is the 8th largest economy in the world while Texas is 14th, even with California's higher taxes, stricter regulation and much larger social safety net.

Last edited by DistrictDirt; 05-22-2014 at 06:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City