Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More economically relevant state in the future
California 195 56.85%
Texas 148 43.15%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 10:28 AM

558 posts, read 716,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Name a high profile TEXAS company that left Texas for California or opened a new large facility in California? I can't think of ONE. I can think of several California companies who came to Texas:
1. Fluor Engineering moved from Cali to Irving Texas
2. Apple new 45 acre campus in Austin
3. Toyota HQ leaving Torrance and already has a truck plant in Texas.
4. Largest publicly traded company in Sacramento moved to the Woodlands in 2012;
5. Hewlett Packard acquired EDS in Plano, Texas after buying Compaq in Houston. They have an internet unit in Austin so
they may have MORE workers in Texas than California!
That is because Californians don't care about Texas, it isn't on their radar. A Texas company moving or expanding in CA doesn't make headlines. Texans go all crazy in jubilation everytime a Burger Kings moves from Cali. Companies moving between TX and CA and vice versa both make up a meaninglessly small % of companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx View Post
You, like many other Texans, don't seem to get what 7x7 said don't you?

Sure some companies will relocate somewhere because it's cheaper. But what would you rather have? An economy that builds on constant innovation or one that builds on growth? California doesn't get much credit off of its vast and diverse economy that reinvents itself time and time again, sprouting new companies every year with many changing the world and pushing it forward as we speak. What one place anywhere, ANYWHERE can boast the magnitude of companies such as Apple, Intel, Cisco, Tesla, Linkedin, Netflix, Qualcomm, Google, Pixar, SpaceX, eBay, Yahoo, Nvidia, Symantec, Oracle, HP, Electronic Arts, Tivo, Twitter, Facebook, Adobe, AMD only to name a few? What one place anywhere, ANYWHERE can boast to be ground zero for new industries such as biotech, alternative energy, internet etc etc as well as being a world leader in space, agriculture, entertainment etc etc.? Imagine the # of jobs generated from these industries and companies without having to be poached from other states.

So yes, Toyota moved its HQ because it was cheaper. Intel will open a new factory in Arizona because it is cheaper. Some states will be lucky winning some of California's table scraps because it is cheaper. (Get the message?)

So which state's economy is more relevant in the future? Of course it's California. it has been for some time and will be in the distant future. The companies, the people and its ideas are constantly pushing the envelope with an eye towards the future. Texas' only claim to fame besides having the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders is that it's a place that's affordable to live and work.

California's motto: The world's innovation capital

Texas' motto: Dayum! We CHEAP!
Beat me to it, thanks!

Old 05-25-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Your right but there have been many stories out there that in the past years California has been loosing a big chunk of it's entertainment income to places like Georgia, Louisiana, Austin, and others due to the fact that production costs are too high in CA. It would be interesting to see some numbers.
Stories are what people cling to: look this one tech company moves SO IT MUST BE THAT SILICON VALLEY IS FALLING APART AND GOING TO TEXAS. That is how this goes. A great quote comes to mind.

"It is always romantic to prophesize the downfall of giants."

Old 05-26-2014, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,031 times
I know I'm new, and I probably shouldn't be posting on this forum, but I'm tired of the non-stop bickering. I live in California, but I understand both arguments. First of all, people from both sides have predisposed opinions of each other. I have been to Texas, and it's not the stinking dump inhabited by rednecks that many of my fellow Californians believe. It's actually pretty nice there: the people are friendly, the weather is nice (during the spring), and many cities there, such as Austin, remind me of home. That said, California is not a bankrupt, insanely expensive trap that some of the Texans believe. I know that a bunch of Californians are moving to Texas, but not in huge droves as some people claim. In the short run, I believe that Texas will catch up to California in terms of population growth and economy, but in the long run, California will fare better as new technology and new forms of energy are being harnessed. Let's all stop arguing and acknowledge the merits of the other side

Old 05-26-2014, 03:17 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achromatos View Post
I know I'm new, and I probably shouldn't be posting on this forum, but I'm tired of the non-stop bickering. I live in California, but I understand both arguments. First of all, people from both sides have predisposed opinions of each other. I have been to Texas, and it's not the stinking dump inhabited by rednecks that many of my fellow Californians believe. It's actually pretty nice there: the people are friendly, the weather is nice (during the spring), and many cities there, such as Austin, remind me of home. That said, California is not a bankrupt, insanely expensive trap that some of the Texans believe. I know that a bunch of Californians are moving to Texas, but not in huge droves as some people claim. In the short run, I believe that Texas will catch up to California in terms of population growth and economy, but in the long run, California will fare better as new technology and new forms of energy are being harnessed. Let's all stop arguing and acknowledge the merits of the other side
But California has a 12 million person lead on Texas, and a $700 billion dollar GDP gap. The population gap went from 12.8 to 12.2 million in 10 years, while the GDP gap only became wider.

There's still a long way to go!

Old 05-26-2014, 03:35 PM

444 posts, read 665,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
But California has a 12 million person lead on Texas, and a $700 billion dollar GDP gap. The population gap went from 12.8 to 12.2 million in 10 years, while the GDP gap only became wider.

There's still a long way to go!
And not only that. . . this was during a timespan when Texas was supposedly riding a sky high economic expansion and California was stuck in the doldrums of the Great Recession.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:06 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,781 times
In related news, Tesla is now California's largest auto industry employer.

Tesla Motors Now California's Biggest Auto-Industry Employer | CleanTechnica

Old 05-27-2014, 03:03 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,781 times
That being said, my bets on Texas to get Tesla's "GigaFactory", where they will begin manufacturing a massive amount of batteries.

California's "Improbable" Bid To Land Tesla's Gigafactory - Forbes

Honestly, I'm fine with that. As my fellow Californians keep mentioning, CA is quite good at innovating, and the state will continue to crack out startups, some of which will become the next Tesla, Google, or Facebook. And at the end of the day we're all Americans, and I think we can all be proud that an innovative American car company is kicking serious butt, and that for the first time in a long time Japan and Germany are playing catch up to us in an automotive technology.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:38 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,341 times
Texas needs the research universities to compete with California when it comes to innovation, and right now there is no contest when it comes to comparing the top research schools in each state.

You take Stanford, Cal, UCLA, Cal Tech, USC, the rest of the entire UC system and compare it with UT, A&M, and....?????

As long as Texas' main priority is being the "cheapest and least tax-iest state in all the land", Texas will never compete with CA as the incubator and launcher of innovative companies.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:38 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,838 times
You do understand that USC and Stanford are private universities that have nothing to do with state governance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City