Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More economically relevant state in the future
California 195 56.85%
Texas 148 43.15%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 12:58 PM
7x7

3 posts, read 3,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I would say it is the leader in its region. But you are right. It's behind California. Texas could learn some things from California when it comes to innovation.
Innovation feeds itself. Brainpower is attracted to it. Brainpower then creates more innovation. It's self-sustaining. There are occasional corrections, but innovation is the lifeblood of sustainable growth.

The Texas methodology seems less so. It is the leader in that region, but it's success is built mainly on growth itself, not innovation. More people. More jobs. More money...but not at a pace that services can keep up with and it's spread out across a huge disconnected and competing area. When the music stops, you have to take a chair away from that model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 01:19 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times
Downtown L.A. is NOT VIBRANT. I've visited. I'd easily prefer Houston's downtown. A great arts district, Baseball Stadium and Basketball arena. New park opened there three years ago to host events. L.A has L.A. Live on one side and Disney Center on the other end of downtown. It feels too spacey.

Exploits people in Houston? Hey, check out MEDIAN FAMILY INCOME in L.A. vs. Houston and then add in state income tax, gas prices and food charges and Houston comes out FAR more affordale.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:25 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times
Name a high profile TEXAS company that left Texas for California or opened a new large facility in California? I can't think of ONE. I can think of several California companies who came to Texas:
1. Fluor Engineering moved from Cali to Irving Texas
2. Apple new 45 acre campus in Austin
3. Toyota HQ leaving Torrance and already has a truck plant in Texas.
4. Largest publicly traded company in Sacramento moved to the Woodlands in 2012;
5. Hewlett Packard acquired EDS in Plano, Texas after buying Compaq in Houston. They have an internet unit in Austin so
they may have MORE workers in Texas than California!

Old 05-24-2014, 01:32 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
I don't think anyone in CA is under the impression that they can coast on weather and beaches. But having the world media/entertainment capital and the world technology/software capital in the same state certainly helps. There's a reason that California is the 8th largest economy in the world while Texas is 14th, even with California's higher taxes, stricter regulation and much larger social safety net.
Your right but there have been many stories out there that in the past years California has been loosing a big chunk of it's entertainment income to places like Georgia, Louisiana, Austin, and others due to the fact that production costs are too high in CA. It would be interesting to see some numbers.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:12 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I would say it is the leader in its region. But you are right. It's behind California. Texas could learn some things from California when it comes to innovation.
Those companies in the energy corridor seem to be innovating some stuff. Its just not the high tech stuff you see everyday.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:41 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Name a high profile TEXAS company that left Texas for California or opened a new large facility in California? I can't think of ONE. I can think of several California companies who came to Texas:
4. Largest publicly traded company in Sacramento moved to the Woodlands in 2012;
5. Hewlett Packard acquired EDS in Plano, Texas after buying Compaq in Houston. They have an internet unit in Austin so
Apple is still based in California and I'm going to predict that has no chance of changing.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:02 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Downtown L.A. is NOT VIBRANT. I've visited. I'd easily prefer Houston's downtown. A great arts district, Baseball Stadium and Basketball arena. New park opened there three years ago to host events. L.A has L.A. Live on one side and Disney Center on the other end of downtown. It feels too spacey.

Exploits people in Houston? Hey, check out MEDIAN FAMILY INCOME in L.A. vs. Houston and then add in state income tax, gas prices and food charges and Houston comes out FAR more affordale.
Downtown Houston is smaller, less vibrant and significantly more "spacey" than DTLA.

http://www.proaire.com/slides/p_0004.jpg

You're going to shatter your glass house to smithereens with those rocks you're throwing.

The stuff you listed is hardly unique to Houston either.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:27 PM

444 posts, read 665,464 times
Quote:
You, like many other Texans, don't seem to get what 7x7 said don't you?

Sure some companies will relocate somewhere because it's cheaper. But what would you rather have? An economy that builds on constant innovation or one that builds on growth? California doesn't get much credit off of its vast and diverse economy that reinvents itself time and time again, sprouting new companies every year with many changing the world and pushing it forward as we speak. What one place anywhere, ANYWHERE can boast the magnitude of companies such as Apple, Intel, Cisco, Tesla, Linkedin, Netflix, Qualcomm, Google, Pixar, SpaceX, eBay, Yahoo, Nvidia, Symantec, Oracle, HP, Electronic Arts, Tivo, Twitter, Facebook, Adobe, AMD only to name a few? What one place anywhere, ANYWHERE can boast to be ground zero for new industries such as biotech, alternative energy, internet etc etc as well as being a world leader in space, agriculture, entertainment etc etc.? Imagine the # of jobs generated from these industries and companies without having to be poached from other states.

So yes, Toyota moved its HQ because it was cheaper. Intel will open a new factory in Arizona because it is cheaper. Some states will be lucky winning some of California's table scraps because it is cheaper. (Get the message?)

So which state's economy is more relevant in the future? Of course it's California. it has been for some time and will be in the distant future. The companies, the people and its ideas are constantly pushing the envelope with an eye towards the future. Texas' only claim to fame besides having the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders is that it's a place that's affordable to live and work.

California's motto: The world's innovation capital

Texas' motto: Dayum! We CHEAP!

Old 05-24-2014, 05:41 PM

444 posts, read 665,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Your right but there have been many stories out there that in the past years California has been loosing a big chunk of it's entertainment income to places like Georgia, Louisiana, Austin, and others due to the fact that production costs are too high in CA. It would be interesting to see some numbers.
Regarding entertainment the only thing CA has lost is on-site filming. Other states like the ones you mentioned have provided generous incentives for filming in their state. But everything else remains in Los Angeles.

For example, a movie crew will film in New Orleans for a couple weeks to take advantage of their tax credits. But once all the filming is done everyone packs and heads for LA, where the studios are and where most of the crew lives.

Sorry, the Hollywood industry ain't goin anywhere.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:24 AM

558 posts, read 716,378 times
Quote:

Makes fun of LA's Downtown, then talks up Houston's...... *facepalm*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City