Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More economically relevant state in the future
California 195 56.85%
Texas 148 43.15%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 06:28 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,111,838 times

Advertisements

The weather and beach sectors are leaving California for Texas! Most of the high profile weather & beach companies already had a large manufacturing presence / HQ in Texas to begin with due to the cheap land and taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 07:32 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,644,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
The weather and beach sectors are leaving California for Texas! Most of the high profile weather & beach companies already had a large manufacturing presence / HQ in Texas to begin with due to the cheap land and taxes.
LOL!!!

Well played.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:21 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,152,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Damn, what's next? The mountains? Will Rick Perry come and bend over for our mountains? We just can't win!

Old 05-23-2014, 12:04 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
I don't think anyone in CA is under the impression that they can coast on weather and beaches. But having the world media/entertainment capital and the world technology/software capital in the same state certainly helps. There's a reason that California is the 8th largest economy in the world while Texas is 14th, even with California's higher taxes, stricter regulation and much larger social safety net.
Toyota obviously saw more of a future in Texas than California.

Many companies are leaving that state left & right for Texas because of high taxes & ultra strict, liberal laws. You can hardly do anything out there without the government getting involved & shutting you down if you don't comply.

If your eyes burn from a Siracha plant move somewhere else.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:15 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,111,838 times
lol i called it

Old 05-23-2014, 09:28 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,595,206 times
There are some people here that say that they can't be paid to live somewhere. But lets be real for most of us: how much of a salary would it take for you to accept living somewhere?

For Texas, if I was making $60,000 and above, I'd move there and save in a heartbeat
For California, if I were making $75,000 and above, I'd move there in a heartbeat.

I've saved money off a $35,000/year job and really don't require that many material things to live, nor do I have kids. So take that into consideration

Old 05-23-2014, 11:24 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,152,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
There are some people here that say that they can't be paid to live somewhere. But lets be real for most of us: how much of a salary would it take for you to accept living somewhere?

For Texas, if I was making $60,000 and above, I'd move there and save in a heartbeat
For California, if I were making $75,000 and above, I'd move there in a heartbeat.

I've saved money off a $35,000/year job and really don't require that many material things to live, nor do I have kids. So take that into consideration
It just feels like downgrading and going backwards though to move from California to Texas. Sure, I'd likely save more money and easily be able to buy a house, but then what? It wouldn't be in California.

It would be like winning a championship in the Canadian football league rather than winning the Super Bowl in the NFL. It's just not the same.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:35 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,595,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
It just feels like downgrading and going backwards though to move from California to Texas. Sure, I'd likely save more money and easily be able to buy a house, but then what? It wouldn't be in California.

It would be like winning a championship in the Canadian football league rather than winning the Super Bowl in the NFL. It's just not the same.
I dunno though, I'm just wondering what people's lifestyles are really. People generally have a problem with keeping any liquid assets and usually tie up their incomes into things that typically depreciate or are disposable.

I live in a pretty expensive area, and found my lifestyle to be just fine even on a shoestring budget. This is counting rent, utilities, car insurance, etc. Sure I wasn't able to go out and go to shows every week and take my dates out to 5 star restaurants all the time, but I'm really wondering what people actually spend their money on.

California feels like it would be rent-expensive. Utilities seem to be cheaper since the weather is year round doesn't give high utility bills, the state income tax is sort of high, but not crippling, and the outdoors typically is free.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:11 AM
7x7

3 posts, read 3,923 times
California is awesome if you can swing it. Economically, it's more diverse and powerful. There's more brainpower in CA. The economy is built on innovation. Texas is a leader in it's region, but not on California's level.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:41 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x7 View Post
California is awesome if you can swing it. Economically, it's more diverse and powerful. There's more brainpower in CA. The economy is built on innovation. Texas is a leader in it's region, but not on California's level.
I would say it is the leader in its region. But you are right. It's behind California. Texas could learn some things from California when it comes to innovation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City