Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for tourists?
Montreal 7 10.77%
Vegas 8 12.31%
Miami 4 6.15%
Chicago 9 13.85%
NOLA 6 9.23%
San Francisco 13 20.00%
Orlando 6 9.23%
Honolulu 12 18.46%
none 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 12:09 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
lol at that song "Jobs like the oil refinery (what you rather do man), I'd rather work up in Napa at the winery."
Yeah, I love that line from E-40. E-40 being a native of Vallejo California, He showcases his native Northern California's diverse economy by recognizing the oil industry, and the winery industry in Napa Valley. E-40's been showcasing alot of NorCal's industires as of late also. Like in one recent song he had, he says something along the lines of

"You got to pay me or pay me no attention, that's how it be
When you born and raised in the V, Northern Cali, Silicon Valley"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 12:18 AM

215 posts, read 378,845 times
Bay Area hip hop is horrible lol

Old 01-10-2014, 07:28 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Well thanks for helping prove my points with stats that Key West is not on the level on Honolulu and these other cities lol. And anyone whose been to both Honolulu and Key West certainly knows that little speck of an island with mediocre. beaches really can't compare to Honolulu let alone these other cities overall. Still a nice town to visit though.
Key West, and the Keys in general, are great tourist spots and can certainly hold their own here. They get a TON of tourists all year long, and can certainly compete with Hawaii. There are actually some good beaches in the Keys too despite what you claim, though they're obviously not very large beaches.

I bet you've never even been to the Keys before.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:57 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Key West, and the Keys in general, are great tourist spots and can certainly hold their own here. They get a TON of tourists all year long, and can certainly compete with Hawaii. There are actually some good beaches in the Keys too despite what you claim, though they're obviously not very large beaches.

I bet you've never even been to the Keys before.
Actually I've been to the Keys before and know for a fact that you have NEVER been. So it's really funny that you would actually say that considering you've never set foot in the Keys. That's probably why you are the ONLY person on this site who continues to talk about how great beaches in the Keys are. Because anyone who has ever gone knows that they really aren't that great at all, especially when compared to the rest of Florida let alone Hawaii.

Key West was cool as a town, I like the downtown and liquor laws there, but the rest of the Keys were a disappointment as far as towns go. No nice little Main St downtowns anywhere between Miami and Key West, just a bunch of small town looking sprawl. I would have thought Key Largo would be at least a mildly attractive town considering how well known it is, it's not at all unless strip malls and boat shops lining a highway is your thing.

For someone whose only been to the Big Island of Hawaii and no other islands and has NEVER been to the Keys you're not really qualified whatsoever to compare them.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:25 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Actually I've been to the Keys before and know for a fact that you have NEVER been. So it's really funny that you would actually say that considering you've never set foot in the Keys. That's probably why you are the ONLY person on this site who continues to talk about how great beaches in the Keys are. Because anyone who has ever gone knows that they really aren't that great at all, especially when compared to the rest of Florida let alone Hawaii.

Key West was cool as a town, I like the downtown and liquor laws there, but the rest of the Keys were a disappointment as far as towns go. No nice little Main St downtowns anywhere between Miami and Key West, just a bunch of small town looking sprawl. I would have thought Key Largo would be at least a mildly attractive town considering how well known it is, it's not at all unless strip malls and boat shops lining a highway is your thing.
Yeah, totally. My take on the Keys is that it's a nice weekend or short trip if you're in South Florida(and I've got family in Florida)--though it's not like I'm going to fly all the way out there to just go to the Keys. I'd probably go explore Hawaii or the Carribbean or Mexico/Central America for a week long trip--though if I'm in Miami, the Keys are good diversion.

Key Largo just looks like a stretch of Florida highway---the Keys only really get interesting past Islamorada and then past Marathon where you go over all the little islands and long bridges. Key West is a fun town for a couple days, but it's really the only town on the Keys that isn't mostly just stuff on the side of the highway. And yeah the beaches aren't much. Bahia Honda is a nice place but the beach is tiny and has been battered by storms every few years. I've always liked the snorkelling in the Keys, though people are really into diving have told me that the reef life there can't compare to the Carribbean or Hawaii.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:57 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Been to all those places at least once except Orlando, which I've just never been able to find a reason why I personally would want to visit.

I'd say from that list my favorites were San Francisco and Chicago as tops, then New Orleans and Vegas, then Montreal, then Honolulu and Miami.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:32 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
I figure the Florida Keyes, and South Florida in general is inferior to Hawaii in terms of scenery. But Miami does the better job of combining scenery and urban amenities. Miami just being in Florida, being 4hrs from theme parks in Orlando, or just wanting to catch a Heat game and see the greatest NBA player on Earth, and then going snorkeling the next day, should give Miami the edge over Honolulu.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:07 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,461 times
Quote:

For someone whose only been to the Big Island of Hawaii and no other islands and has NEVER been to the Keys you're not really qualified whatsoever to compare them.
Lol take a chill pill.

There are some nice beaches I visited in Key West, Fort Zachary Taylor state park had a nice beach, though you had to pay to access it. Snathers Beach is also nice. Saying that the Keys have no nice beaches is ignorance. Don't care if you believe me or not, I don't have to defend my experiences to you or anyone else on this site.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:30 PM

669 posts, read 914,924 times
Speaking of which, something Key West easily has over Honolulu is it's worse than mediocre nightlife for something which it's rightly criticized by lots of people. But according to some people everything Hawaii is paradise and can't be criticized so I'll be waiting for the "you suck, you don't know anything" responses and them telling me how Hawaii has hula dances and etc lol.

Last edited by yyuusr; 01-11-2014 at 01:44 PM..

Old 01-11-2014, 04:12 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Lol take a chill pill.

There are some nice beaches I visited in Key West, Fort Zachary Taylor state park had a nice beach, though you had to pay to access it. Snathers Beach is also nice. Saying that the Keys have no nice beaches is ignorance. Don't care if you believe me or not, I don't have to defend my experiences to you or anyone else on this site.
So I guess you visited the Keys recently? Because before you've said you've never been. That's fine if you think Key West has nice beaches, IMO you just clearly have low standards when it comes to beaches then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City